The City Hall Newcastle

Will check that one out Ovalteeny. It's great to hear about people still enjoying, and making the effort to go to live gigs,

One thing I will say, when you mentioned the quality of the musicians in Bonnie Raitt's band, you will always see this when big stars go out on the road. From Rod Stewart to Tina Turner, all of them will only take the very best musicians with them, they can't afford not to. They never hit the tour circuit with 2nd class musicians, it wouldn't be in their best interests, they have a reputation to protect.

However, it makes seeing them even better for the likes of us, we can sit back and enjoy ALL the talent up there on that stage.

Most of Bonnie's band have been with her for years & years. The only exception at the City Hall was the keyboard man, whose name escapes me now, but he'd played with everyone in LA from the Beach Boys to Jackson Browne and boy was he good. Bonnie always has had very good keyboard guys (including at least 2 English lads - ex Faces & Rolling Stone, Ian McLagan (RIP just the other week) and the monster-man from New Awlins (via his Kentish birthplace) Jon Cleary.

By the by, Ian McLagan co-wrote most of Rod Stewarts early classics and I've seen him with his own band (from Austin, Texas) a few times and he certainly put on a terrific show.

Edited by Ovalteeny

Yes, Ian Mclagan is one of many legends who graced the boards. He will certainly be missed.

Funny you should mention LA, I was there for the second time just a few years ago. We were staying in Annaheim and visited 'The House Of Blues', I had my grandson with me and we saw that we had missed Joe Bonamassa by 8 months, we were both gutted. He's was only 10 at the time, but I have him converted to the blues/rock scene, he's already a Bonamassa disciple.

But hell, that's what you do for your offspring, you educate them about the virtues of good music. We were also giving him an insight into how exciting the USA can be, and just like me and the wife, he loved every minute of it.

Agreed about steering the next generations toward good music. I remember taking my 2 kids to Wembley Arena to see Lyle Lovett & Mary Chapin Carpenter, then another time to Shepherds Bush Empire to see John Hiatt. Although I did also let them take me to see the Spice Girls and then Robbie Williams on 2 other occasions. Spice Girls were as I expected (never to return again) but Robbie put on a hell of a show (albeit he is very big-headed and full of himself). 

Another time I tool my daughter (who was only 5 at the time) to see The Poozies at the Stables in Milton Keynes (and Kate Rusby was depping for one of the other girls) and my Harriet had a good 10 minute chat with Kate at half-time about music lessons & fiddles etc. After taking Harriet to see Allison Krauss she is now (although only 24 years old) well into Americana, especially girl fiddle or banjo players and goes to gigs herself to see such performers as Sarah Joaroz, Sarah Watkins and Aoife O'Donovan (probably lost you there, with those 3 names, but check them out, they can't half play). 

Brett,

Fist Aid Kit's latest album STAY GOLD has come 20th. in an "end of year" readers poll from an Americana Web Magazine called No Depression,

check out the list via this link  :http://nodepression.com/article/nd-readers-poll-results-top-50-albums-2014

I had not really heard of them before, but I'll give them a listen, now

The war on drugs at 23 is amazing as well.

John Fulbright featured on a bbc4 documentary the other week which was all about country and western and the grande ole oprey.

Checked him out the next day and really liked.

Beck is another in that list worth checking.

First aid kit featured in the top 5 of bbc 6 music albums of 2014

• 1 month later...

I hope the City Hall will be bought and continue as a music venue.

The baths are in a great position for inner city workers to keep healthy by swimming before during and after work.

Austerity does not allow for this to happen without private developers, who have making money as an essential requirement..

always amused me over many many visits to the city hall - the acoustics were just as you would expect -- like a city baths!!! although many happy nights there -used to start at the carriage then the city tavern  - city hall then the biker pub in the haymarket (pulled down now and I cant recall the name!!! - not the percy) and if you had too much snakebite you could always go for a fight in the farmers!! the trent house used to have some decent stuff on - but who can forget the mayfair??????????  Cream, the Who ect etc - although I did see the Stones at St James Park, the support was the J Geils Band who were actually better

The Mayfair and Saint James' Park probably need new threads.

I remember the Stones with the Dan Reed Network and the Choirboys as support.

That was the 90s.

In the 80s we took along one son and became anxious about the crowds and the old wooden stand.

Bradford Fire I suppose raised our fears.

Daughter never forgave us for not taking her.

Then in 85 there was Bruce Springsteen .

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now