• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gordon Wilkinson has written a book

Muckle Bari Morts and Gadgies.

In the book he talks about Rudyard Kipling going through Morpeth in1908.

When a tyre needs changing he has problems with people watching:-

The Godless loons of Morpeth

Stand round and stare and yawp

"Giz ya gowk"? = please let me have your apple core so I can finish it off.

Commonly heard at school when lads who were eating an apple got down to the core which would have been chucked. Somebody would ask for it and then eat the core, seeds, toenails, and all. It always seemed to be the kids from poorer home who asked ... maybe they were always hungry.

Those of a certain age will remember Scott Dobson producing a range of books, tapes, etc. called "Larn Yersel' Geordie". I don't know if they're still published but they are available on ebay,

51qHNr1pDRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here it is set to a nice piece of stop frame animation by South Shields` Sheila Graber:

Mike Neville & George House used to do a LYG stage double act & often did very funny `fills` when Look North went belly up, through studio malfunction.

Sheila`s animation was regularly featured on LN in the 70s. Here`s her homage:

My Grandma (Mama) used to call a pencil a vine anyone heard of that ?

Yep Brian my Dad did.

It might have come from the fact that there is vine charcoal which is used by artists. Like pencils it comes in various grades of hardness.

another canny one is the term..ahad.."this bloke set himself ahad " for example..

just last week a geordie mate of mine was working with me in the factory, we were cutting pipe with a grinder and sparks were flying al owa the shop..he said to me,,,

"gan canny marra,ye`ll set the place ahad"..the paddy guy that was with us was in stitches and said that where ever we come from,they should have taught us english..lol...rich comming from a paddy..lol.

If you want to Mang the cant, you need to read Gordan Wilkinson's book

Muckle Bari Morts and Gadgies.

I got a copy from the Morpeth Chantry.

In the book the author says the Morpeth Dialect is a mixture of Northumbrian, Miners Pitmatic and some Urdu words from the Romany Gypsies.

The author who I think is from somewhere in Bedlington also says,

Jugal is a dog

Deek means look.

Bari means good.

Shan is bad.

Radgie is crazy

Deek, Bari and Radgie I remember using in Bedlington

post-2999-0-98082200-1365339385_thumb.jp

Morpeth that reminds me of the Easter tradition of 'Egg boolin and jaapin, at Morpeth's Easter Field.

If you have not been to Morpeth for a while you will be shocked at the new Morrisons.

Gone is the Old Red Bull pub and in it's place a palace to consumerism, complete with a totally over the top entrance.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now