• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps Robson Green could front-up a telly programme about the Geordie accent ... I can just imagine what that would sound like.  The notion brings back fond memories of Dick Van Dyke's* efforts in sounding Cockney.

*our younger viewers may want to Google him or the film Mary Poppins ... he's never lived down his strangled effort.

While Googling 'Stagey Bank fair, I found references to these sayings our family used to use, Send you to the Knackers Yard, Let's have a gander, Money and Fair Words, How's your belly for spots? Waste not, want not, What does Horace say?

I found Glakey and Hap (as in hap up the fire before gannen to bed)to be a Bedlington sayings while such as Barrie to be Ashington!

• 1 month later...

Stagey Bank Fair!

In the Northumbrian this month an article on the old Drover Roads informs me that there was a huge fair at Stagshaw Bank.

It is the junction of the Roman Roads that followed the Hadrian's Wall and Dere Street.

Evidently, at their peak, the fairs held here on Whitsun Eve, July, August and October were reckoned to have been the second largest livestock markets after Smithfield.

Maybe that is where we got the statement about an untidy house being 'Stagey Bank Fair'

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a gander at the lot Malcolm and 'scratcha - deek and napper are three I could never have thought off.

Tried putting them into a sentence - 

English - If you won't give me a view of your recent purchase I'm off to bed, to rest me head ,before going out.

Bedlington -  Giz a luk at what yi just bout before a sleep off this after's session.

Chronicle - Giz a deek at that before a gan yem to me scratcha, as me nappa's knacking off gannin on the hoy = gobbledogook to me.

Walla, howfing, radgie, twock, scratcha, doylem, and wazzok are some of the words I believe are "modern†Geordie. Slang words that have just recently evolved, I have about a dozen "Larn yesel' Geordie†type books and cannot find any reference to any of those words.

• 3 weeks later...

I love that expression, now part of history!

In Bedlington my favourite has to be

'Neh Bother'

Used so often and so typically understated everything is no bother.

People help each other.

I think it sums up why we enjoy being from Bedlington and why wherever we live we take with us a little bit of kindness and humility.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now