Again this could be in the humour section.

The entrance has to be seen to be believed.

To think people were campaigning against the too bright signs of the Morrisons Garage, a few years ago!

Maybe we are just jealous, in Bedlington what could we do with just a fraction of the money spent.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

i was reminded again today about our lovley dilect..at work again with my geordie mate, about three o clock this very afternoon..he downed tools and informed us he was off to "drop me bate"..

i then had to explain to paddy where he had gone..lol also what bate was..

• 1 month later...

A friend said today that her cousin had said 'she had been swanking' or boasting.

Does anyone else use that term?

Only aboot tuthers gannin past. We nivver had any guid clathes te swank aboot in. We always thought it was just a pit-mattic version of showing off one's new clothes!

We nivver had any.

• 2 months later...

Found myself saying 'your a Mazer' today.

Wonder if it came from amazing or did our word come first?

OE (700-1100) verb amasod (past participle = amazed): in the beginning it meant to stun (now obsolete). Later it meant to bewilder and at some time in the 16th century took on the meaning to overwhelm with wonder. By the ME period amasod had changed it's form to amased. On the other hand, there was a word 'maze', with the meaning to stupefy or daze, which is dialectal but has been found in the English language since the 8th Century. At first it was only used in past-participles but it could have various prefixes, as in bimased and amased. By the 15th century its meaning had changed to 'bewilder'. Just when the derivative noun, 'mazer', came into being doesn't appear to be documented..(Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology) However, I wonder if it is 'our' word, Maggie. I worked at the Royal Infirmary in Doncaster a number of years and this word 'mazer' was in common use in the area, especially among older folks. Have you heard it in your area and if so has it the same meaning?

Edited by Canny lass

Canny Lass you will have to get the latest series 'King Alfred and the Anglo/ Saxons'

Your linguistic knowledge would be good input.

They quote from the Anglo /Saxon Chronicle, but the importance of Saint Cuthbert and Oswald come to light.

The bones of Oswald are taken and credited with special powers, the chapel for the bones has windows and characteristics very like our Church of Saint Cuthbert.

I wonder what we could learn about our language!

Canny Lass you will have to get the latest series 'King Alfred and the Anglo/ Saxons'

Where would I get it Maggie? Is it a TV series? If so I may get the translation job, if Swedish TV ever buys it. We can learn a great deal about our history from language. It's better than literature when it comes to reflecting our past. It never ceases to fascinate me.

The programme was on BBC4 and was called King Alfred And The Anglo -Saxons.

Michael Wood presented.

There were only three programmes of one hour.

Hopefully it has gone to DVD.

Lots of programmes now are made in conjunction with the Open University.

I could maybe put the two episodes I have still on a digi box onto an old VHS tape for you.

Otherwise get yourself to Bedlington soon and I will leave them alone on the box.

Others on the site may know of better ways.

I cannot seem to find it on I Player.

Maybe it will be soon.

How much of the language of The Anglo - Saxon Chronicles is relevant to us here or to you and your many languages.

The programme was on BBC4 and was called King Alfred And The Anglo -Saxons.

Michael Wood presented.

There were only three programmes of one hour.

Hopefully it has gone to DVD.

Lots of programmes now are made in conjunction with the Open University.

I could maybe put the two episodes I have still on a digi box onto an old VHS tape for you.

Otherwise get yourself to Bedlington soon and I will leave them alone on the box.

Others on the site may know of better ways.

I cannot seem to find it on I Player.

Maybe it will be soon.

How much of the language of The Anglo - Saxon Chronicles is relevant to us here or to you and your many languages.

Sounds interesting. I'm afraid VHS is a no-goer in this household. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Maggie my mam is 91 and refers to that part of her body as Lisk, similar, and she is a Dudley girl.

The song:- The Oak and The Ash And The Bonny Rowan tree, has been changed to the Bonny Ivy Tree!

Kathryn Tickell sang that version at her night at the Sage and now my Grandaughter is singing the same!

Surely The Rowan Tree is the right version, my understanding is that the Rowan Tree has magical qualities.

Fishing boats built with the wood could not be affected by evil spirits and red sails were down to the colour of the berries.

Northumberland superstition or maybe not.

If the Rowan has all these qualities, maybe the posting on Hazelmere could take note.

Either way the Ivy is not a tree in my opinion.

I sang Rowan!

Not being competitive but mountain ash rules. OK!

Supposedly it is one of the best to burn, sweet smelling.

Renewable energy,

Remember the Holly and the Ivy when they are both full grown!

Now there's a thing Maggie! They talk about ivy as though it is a tree here as well. "of all the trees that are in the Woods, the Holly bears the Crown".

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now