• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here "spoaching" could come to mean: starting a new topic in the wrong forum! :D (The Introduce Yourself Forum is for... ummm... goodness, I forget! ;) )

I know GGG its ........... SPOACHING ,,,,,,,, wheres me prize I want it now.

Back in your seat Keith Minor! I want 1000 words on Pitmatic here by Friday, and pull your trousers up!

:wacko:

Sorry Admin

Don't worry about it Maggie, we don't normally allow him to interact with other people on the forum!!

Being a bit of a townie myself and originating from the more modern society of Newcastle I have heard a few things since moving up this way that have made me go :unsure: :blink::unsure:

Can't think of any off the top of my head but I will listen to the missus next time she is speaking to her mother and sister. I generally switch off when they get together.

Being a bit of a townie myself and originating from the more modern society of Newcastle I have heard a few things since moving up this way that have made me go :unsure: :blink::unsure:

Can't think of any off the top of my head but I will listen to the missus next time she is speaking to her mother and sister. I generally switch off when they get together.

...ah, Bedlington wasn't called an Urban District for nowt then.. :)

Urban Dictionary: Spoach

Probably on to the second definition when I spoached the thread.

Well done Keith.

Anyone heard the word 'kist' to describe the top of the leg where it meets the body...

According to the Northumbrian Language Society it means a strong box.

Some interesting stuff here: http://www.northumbriana.org.uk/langsoc/about.htm

With thanks to Janet and her team at Ashington.............

"Ashington Community Development Trust has opened a new retail unit on the ground floor of the Central Arcade, next to the Nisa supermarket. We chose the name "The Deputy's Kist” for this retail outlet because it acknowledges the history and tradition of the Town and reflects the treasure trove of products and services available.

For those of our readers who may not be familiar with the word "kist”, the origin can been traced back to 1300 and the Middle English "kiste”, which is derived from the Old Norse, 'kista' (chest). More recently, "kist” has been used to describe a store of money or treasure, e.g. a kist of silver (1816). The word "kist” is still in use today, as a descriptive term for the mine deputy's work station or desk, where he would keep tools and papers."

Maybe the word should have been Lisk. Trial and error.

Strangely my Grandmothers generation used to decide each week whether they were ' in the band or out' basically to describe arguments and disagreements.

Either way thanks to everyone, who has so effectively found out information.

'In the band or out'

A good talking point

Obviously we are all in the band this week.

Fighting injustice!

Guess it is table 25 at The Red Lion!

Pity it is not a round table.

Where is King Arthur when you need him.

There is a Northumbrian folk tale about him asleep in our hills waiting to be woken at our time of greatest need.

There is a song chorus is:-

It's the company makes the feast'

Guess what I am saying is the people make our area the best of places.

The weather, dialect and shared history of hardship makes life special and we all need to be grateful for our lot.

Joke required

"Wor Geordie has a pigeon a pigeon a pigeon

It flew in the morning it flew in the night and when it came home it was covered in---------

Back to the beginning

Sorry to anyone who does not know the tune or song

Talk propa? Hadaway

This is an article that appeared in yesterday's Guardian page 36

David Almond says as an introduction

Am a Rita, and A kno the common langwij cums from the hart an sole, and must Neva be forgot

He is a novelist and professor of creative language at Bath Spa University.

• 3 weeks later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now