It reminds me of the old Cup and Ring marks

The circle of life. Joni Mitchell wrote a good song.

Views are magic.

We can view it from lots of places in Bedlington.

How much money are they making from coal extraction.

Walk up and see what you think.

Apologies to anyone who lives far away

Okay, this is where I make enemies (more enemies) and get rotten fruit thrown at me because I think the Nothumberlandia earthwork is a complete waste of space. It actually means nothing to me. I am sure something else could have been done with the money and something more representative to the area. So there, I've said it, I make my Thermopylae and I stand with shield and spear and sword at the ready.

Edited by keith lockey
  • Like 1

What did you think of the Angel of the North and what do you think of it now?

Burial Mounds, history and a talking point.

What more can art do, but inspire controversy.

The open cast, the form of a lady, a viewing platform for all the area, bringing tourists to the area, I love the whole thing controversy included

It is a good thing to have democracy where we can disagree

• Like 1

Absolutely right, Maggie, art should/does inspire controversy. My main issue with Northumberlandia is that it can only - or at best - be seen from the air - like the Nazca Plains carvings in Peru. Now what good is that if it's supposed to be something for ALL the people to enjoy? Are they going to take people up in hot air ballons for free, or helicopter rides. To my mind it could have been better thought out.

There was also an abundance of clay to get rid of. We were going flat out to get as much as we could into Ibstock Brick at Throckley. They could take no more and as it happened several hundred tonnes had to be thrown out (backfilled into Red Barns Quarry). This had to be moved so the underpass could be built under the road at the Delhi opencast. Also Castle Clay could not take anymore from Shotton so this meant that Banks had zillions of tonnes of clay to dispose of................. Northumberlandia. (or was it just a coincidence that all that clay and waste material was going spare)

There was also an abundance of clay to get rid of. We were going flat out to get as much as we could into Ibstock Brick at Throckley. They could take no more and as it happened several hundred tonnes had to be thrown out (backfilled into Red Barns Quarry). This had to be moved so the underpass could be built under the road at the Delhi opencast. Also Castle Clay could not take anymore from Shotton so this meant that Banks had zillions of tonnes of clay to dispose of................. Northumberlandia. (or was it just a coincidence that all that clay and waste material was going spare)

I would have taken a few tonnes of clay to make some colliery commons, nice bit of money to make there :thumbsup: .

Okay, this is where I make enemies (more enemies) and get rotten fruit thrown at me because I think the Nothumberlandia earthwork is a complete waste of space. It actually means nothing to me. I am sure something else could have been done with the money and something more representative to the area. So there, I've said it, I make my Thermopylae and I stand with shield and spear and sword at the ready.

At the end of the day keith it is better then a house estate.

I was going to say no more,but being 'gobby', here goes.

My opinion

Parking up on the Blagdon Road in the car park past the Snowy Owl Pub! You then walk through a woody glade. When the full impact of the Lady is visible, you cannot fail to be impressed.

If you are flying into Newcastle you will see it.

Anyone hiring a hot air balloon please invite a certain person from the site.

Once again my opinion, in 1998 I was considered an oddity for saying I liked the Angel.

An early life here taught me to value everyone's opinion, whilst keeping my own.

Debating society Westridge.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now