Symptoms...you got me creasing up here!,brilliant tales!

I started Westridge,the first day it opened,in 1956,and I left in 1959,aged 15 years,to go straight down the mines.

In those early days,the school was just getting itself established on the map,and the only exciting thing  that we were offered,in 1958,was a trip to Holy Island.

Well,seeing as the farthest i had been away from home,was Alnwick,on my old home-made-from-parts from - the tip [at Barrington]

pushbike......then this was a trip to look forward to.

It was a nice sunny day,when we got there,and the thing that sticks forever in my mind was,the big bully lad,who bullied me every day,decided to climb up the cliff to reach a seagull's nest....trying to show off to the girls,who were saying it too dangerous to climb!

Whey,wat happened?.....he got aboot ten feet up....looked doon.....went white,and started to shake with fear..!![i can vividly recall the expression of utter terror on his face,and the laugh on me and my friends' faces,when a teacher had ti climb up and "rescue" him,and bring him doon!]

He might come on this site,and if he does,i would redeem him for bullying me,if he owned up to the occasion,for a gud laugh!!

Edited by HIGH PIT WILMA

• 2 weeks later...

Symptoms,I remember Mr Johnson,science teacher,[my electronics mentor in the evenings,like a friend,but strict teacher by day!],

showing the class a jar of Phosphorous lumps,in liquid,[oil?],which stopped them from spontaneous combusting.

He had a pair of long tongs,lifted a lump out of the jar,about three feet away from all of us crowding around to watch,and within ten seconds,the Phosphorous began sparking and fizzling,as it started to catch fire...to which he quickly plunged it back into the jar of liquid,which extinguished it.

One school open day,he arranged us onto pairs,and each pair of pupils had to demonstrate an experiment,to the visitors.

Me and Martin,my friend,had to demonstrate how water is composed of Hydrogen and Oxygen.

The experiment showed how we mixed the correct proportion of Oxygen,and Hydrogen,in a gas jar,then putting a lighted taper

into the inverted jar,causing a controlled explosion,which left deposits of moisture on the inside walls of the jar.

The small explosion was enough to frighten the lives out of the unexpecting visitors!!

'Elf n safety would have had Mr Johnson jailed nooadays!

We used to play with Mercury,when Mr Johnson wasn't looking!!....PLAY with it in the palm of our hands,then drop it onto the hard floor,watching loads of little Mercury marbles rolling around!![bloody poison!...and very expensive...but we didn't know!]

Tame stuff compared to our good marra,Mr Symptoms though!

I have very fond memories of Westridge an yes the school did open in 1956 and I remember the first day there beinsg sent home and my worried mam asking what I had done wrong to be sent home. Coming like many of the others from the good old Whitley it was like landing on a different planet. I was selected for the Upper Remove and remember our form master George Marley. George Hemming explained that in other schools the remove classes were where the pupils who had problems and were slow learners, which worried those put in the Remove until he explained that he was reversing the trend and pupils selected for the Remove class were those they considered bright enough to go on for GCE. I never did take Northern Counties or GCE's as I left at Christmas 1958 to start in the pit, however I was lucky enough to get out of the pits in 1960 to pursue what I had always wanted to do and that was to train as a chef. However in 1975 I joined the Army Fire Service a Civilian organisation working for the MOD and served until 2003 when I took early retirement with the rank of Senior Divisional Officer.

I have a class photograph of the Upper Remove 1957 which I hopefully will scan in when I get to grips with my new computer and printer. I can recall a lot of the names of both lads and lasses, especially those from the Whitley.

Oh how I remember Mr. Johnson and I remember his 'punishments' even more! He Always made the punishment fit the 'crime'. For my sins I got to write a short essay on BURBOSITY and, on another occasion, LOQUACITY. I've never forgotten those Words - they were probably the start of my love affair with languages.

Sorry! that should have been VERBOSITY not BERBOSITY. What was my 'crime' ? I was being loquacious on the one occasion and verbose on the other. In other Words I was talking when I should have been listening to the teacher.

Pleased to see they've got these underlinings and crosing out problems sorted out. Just the mid-sentence capital letters to sort out now - and the new problem, I can't quote anybody's post!.

Saint Benet Biscop School OAP Xmas party.

Invite from a pupil needed? Bribery and corruption may be needed.

I personally have offered a bribe but for multiple invites we may need your expertise Symptoms.

Anyone with any influence with god.

Catholic Order.

There is but one and one only from your humble village with sway up here and I will visit upon him soon.  The peadings of my handmaiden Maggs will not go unanswered for I have this very day visited upon my top servant ToonBish thunderously demanding chapter and verse.  The poor flock abiding in your humble village may fall to their knees in prayer and seek the answers they crave.

• 3 weeks later...

Symtoms,I would love to se that file if it still exists in the archives,just to see how much the reports were twisted in favour of the police for their inadequacies!

How would I find out?

HPW - I'm not sure if the Peelers are obliged to show you any file they hold on you.  Why not contact their HQ and ask?  As for you school records these will be held by the Northumberland County Council Archive and should be available to you on application ... I'm sure there'll be a charge;  again, give them a phone.

Maybe there are others here who'll know what to do.

Let us know what you find out as I'd be keen to get my school records ... oh what fun they'd be to read (and maybe share with those here).

Perhaps mine have been 'sealed' for 100 years ... a bit like the Profumo papers to protect a certain person.  This bloke is still alive (just) so I'll hold-back from naming him until he crokes ... he's in his 90s so the wait won't be long.  His wife super rich so can afford to chase Sym through the courts if I spill his name whilst he's still breathing.

Er....Symptoms,I seem to have got you a bit confused by my bad phrasing....it wasn't the school hall being demolished ,I was refferring to a council

who,in earlier years,didn't have the foresight to apply for listed building status,for "The Old Hall and Keep",where the bedlington council offices now stand.

What did they do back then?.......demolished a centuries old building,a major part of Bedlington's history and heritage,and which should have been

turned into a visitor's attraction.

Symptoms,gaanin' off ya brilliant crack,a wud be careful in case yi get ......hemmed.......in....by legalities........ahem.....hemmed in......!...[poor joke!!...

...just fishin'..!!]

Tek nae notice o' me ramblin' on,a write like a taak!!

More stories please!...it's bed-time again!

Er....Symptoms,I seem to have got you a bit confused by my bad phrasing....it wasn't the school hall being demolished ,I was refferring to a council

who,in earlier years,didn't have the foresight to apply for listed building status,for "The Old Hall and Keep",where the bedlington council offices now stand.

What did they do back then?.......demolished a centuries old building,a major part of Bedlington's history and heritage,and which should have been

HPW,

Now I can read what you say I agree with it!   :thumbsup:   Someone should have been put to the buck and the supposed castellated east end......pathetic!   

Bill, it is called progress by the planning department and others in the council I think. Can't seem to be stopped regardless were it is.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now