Bedlington Station (A Winter Wonderland)

Driving up to the Spar last night (19 / 01) to seek 2 bottles of medicine, er, Merlot ( the estate has taken on the appearance of the Cresta run ), I noticed how pretty the "Station " was looking in deepest Winter.

Discarded chip and kebab wrappers, seemed to be frozen to the pavement giving a wavy appearance to the "street scape". Icicles were hanging from the dissused christmas lights and the windows of the Clayton were so frosted it appeared they were all broken. People stepping on to the icy pavement on exiting the Clayton were very unsteady on their feet., (one could almost think they were very inebriated). Colourful language turned the air a pretty shade of blue, to match the bruises on their faces, received while partaking in a bar room sport of which the punters of the Clayton seem to excell in. I have to say though, the men weren't much better behaved.

Well some of the above might be a slight exageration (ie, frozen chip papers and icicles)

This bit aint.

THE CHRISTMAS TREE IS STILL UP outside Sleekburn house. Not only is it still up, it is still lit up.

Now, when the switch was thrown (by a very dissapointed young girl ) the lights didn't work, apparently no-one told the street lighting depatment to fit the appropiate fuse. A week later it was fitted and we, at the Station had (still have ) a very pretty Christmas tree. It may be that the parish is looking to save money on the erection and dismantling of Christmas decoration by leaving it up permanently following the almost succesful trial of leaving the rest of the street decorations up all year round, for the past 2 or 3 years. However, one lesson has been learned. They are leaving it lit :-

1) Because of the difficulty in getting the lights switched on in the first place.... and .......

2) The other lights along Ravensworth Tce were not switched on because the chippy, where the switch is located, is shut down. Nobody had the nouse to ring the letting agent to gain access to the switch.

A (continuing) merry Christmas everyone.

THE CHRISTMAS TREE IS STILL UP outside Sleekburn house. Not only is it still up, it is still lit up.

They are leaving it lit :-

1) Because of the difficulty in getting the lights switched on in the first place.... and .......

2) The other lights along Ravensworth Tce were not switched on because the chippy, where the switch is located, is shut down. Nobody had the nouse to ring the letting agent to gain access to the switch.

A (continuing) merry Christmas everyone.

I think it's called supplementary street lighting.

Well folks, the lights on the Christmas tree outside Sleekburn House have been switched of and removed along with the P.C. banner today, 23/01/2013. However, the tree is still up , lets see ....... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Get them to drop it off at mine for fire wood please

Some quick googling suggests that they mulch the one at Trafalgar Square ever year. That would keep me going a little while.

The tree remains until just before the Twelfth Night of Christmas, when it is taken down for recycling. The tree is chipped and composted, to make mulch.[2]

What a waste!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now