Tesco Horseburgers

When I was a student I came back up to the North East for the Summer and got a holiday job in a meat processing factory on the quayside in Newcastle, this was 1970. The factory made pies and sausages for the street sellers who flogged the stuff on the streets in the Toon ... our older viewers will remember these sellers with their bicycle-powered stalls (they were really tricycles with the white painted stall at the front); swarms of them would also be seen flogging their stuff at Toon matches.

Anyway, there were big open vats with gas rings below for heating the ingredients and my job was to stir the mix with a big paddle. The problem was that the factory had glass roof windows (northlights) and exposed structural steel roof supports. Quite a few of the windows were broken so the pigeons got in and roosted on the roof beams. There was a high mortality rate in this resident bird population so in the mornings on arrival at work one of my jobs was to collect the corpses and dispose of the bodies. I was told by the foreman to drop them in the cooking mix as this is what they had always done ... I worked there for three weeks. This is a true story.

Needless to say that I have NEVER eaten bought pie or sausage since I was 19.

That's one of the reasons I turned veggie, Symptoms. I once worked at a battery farm - hens. And I was appalled at the conditions there. Row after row of chickens cooped up in cages and everything was getting mixed into their feed. It was arguably one of the worst jobs I ever had - just to make a few extra pounds over Christmas. I was a fresh faced teenager then and it made me see the meat industry in a new light.

Edited by keith lockey

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now