Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 25/06/2018 at 19:45, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@Vic Baldry - this is the list of Stead Lane tenants, from the 40's, that Reedy's dad could remember from back then. I see he was just one house out with your grandparents but still amazing all the names he has remembered from the Bank Top & Stead Lane area.  

Yes my Dad and grandparents lived at 35 Stead Lane. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if I'm replying to the right topic but in response to the dam building in the river, I distinctly remember my Dad (Edward Carey 35 Stead Lane) telling us how he used to tickle trout when he was a lad. I have vague memories that you could get down to the river from the back of the garden? Am I remembering that right? Also memories of a  huge garden, the chickens, and a pig, and the big outside toilet full of spiders! My sister and I used to swing on the gate looking down to Blyth and the sea. Cath Baldry (Carey) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Vic Baldry said:

I'm not sure if I'm replying to the right topic but in response to the dam building in the river, I distinctly remember my Dad (Edward Carey 35 Stead Lane) telling us how he used to tickle trout when he was a lad. I have vague memories that you could get down to the river from the back of the garden? Am I remembering that right? Also memories of a  huge garden, the chickens, and a pig, and the big outside toilet full of spiders! My sister and I used to swing on the gate looking down to Blyth and the sea. Cath Baldry (Carey) 

We do it all the time Vic,  mix up the comments within topics

 

Project1.jpg

I think the council estate - Woodside - that is behind Stead lane would have been built in the late 1940's or early 1950's. This old map, 1938, published 1947 shows the area before the council estate, and bungalows at the bottom of Stead lane were built.

Project2.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Snap - we did exactly the same but I always assumed the dam we build had been knocked down by other groups of lads; never knew about the fishermen and the sea trout.👍

I turned 71 last year - wouldn't be surprised if we built the dam up together on occasions😊

Eggy

Yes Eggy, we almost certainly worked together on the dam construction. I do remember you as a youngun though not from school because our education paths never crossed. At the Grammar school you were in the same class as my cousin Michael at one time or maybe all the time.

 Does anyone remember Billy Winter swimming from the furnace bridge down stream to the black bridge(railway) on a full tide? There was a raw sewage outfall next to the furnace bridge so he swam through and with it downstream! His brother Geordie did it a couple of years later. I never heard anything but I bet they were both poorly afterwards with at least gut rot. We used to shoot the rats with our catapults at that outfall.

 After the sewage water was diverted from the outfall the worms we used for fishing at Granary Point were never as big.

Jammy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Yes Eggy, we almost certainly worked together on the dam construction. I do remember you as a youngun though not from school because our education paths never crossed. At the Grammar school you were in the same class as my cousin Michael at one time or maybe all the time. 

Same class as Michael, from Guidepost all the way through - 1960 to 1965.

1963 Class 3B named.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jammy,Billy [ or..Willy ..as we call him!]..Winter, is an aad pit Marra,friend,and Nybor,of mine.I also worked with Dennis,and the youngin..was he called Tom?...was a young timber-leader at the Aad Pit at Bedlington,as was their Father.

I did my preliminary training,from leaving school,at Seaton Burn pit ,in 1959,and Geordie Winter was on the same training course,but I didn't know him well.He left the pits not lang after starting,and joined the Army.

Willy was as strong as an Ox,so the sewage musn'ta done him any harm![ye remindd me of a scene from the Shawshank Redemption film!!]

Aye,it was part of being a kid,to build dams across the river,and we always used to wonder who kept destroying aal wor work..aav nivvor given it any thowt in me adult years,till noo!!

It's obvious when ye realise it,but not when ya ten yeors aad!

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 HIGH PIT WILMA

 There is another brother and a sister Winter. The brother is Gordon and is the next brother down from Dennis. I cannot remember the name of the sister. I think she was next to Gordon but not sure which side. She may have departed this world. I knew father Billy as well because he kept canaries as I did at one time. The youngest is Tommy.

 Geordie lives not far from Puddlers Row. He was also very strong like Billy yet father Billy was short and slightly made. The strength probably came from the mother.

 As far as I know none of the other brothers fancied a sewage swim!

 Yes building and rebuilding the stone dam was part of growing up.

Jammy

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jammy said:

 HIGH PIT WILMA

 There is another brother and a sister Winter. The brother is Gordon and is the next brother down from Dennis. I cannot remember the name of the sister. I think she was next to Gordon but not sure which side. She may have departed this world. I knew father Billy as well because he kept canaries as I did at one time. The youngest is Tommy.

 

Dennis - Vesta - Gordon & Tom are the four Winters I know from from Melrose Avenue. I think Dennis was the oldest. There is a photo in the Gallery -  Bedlington Station 1st School album - 1950's with a young Vesta in it.

29683995_507041919697329_4866373678119683432_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=7206a8&_nc_oc=AQl-b-ByAMAXIhncnpMGM9l9MVkMWV5ayUX9TBqcAIIGGre7yIRmRE0IpjRfMW6AV8A&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr2-1.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=05b458f8c7f192066a7295b613b3d997&oe=5ED5FF6E

Gordon is my age and we used to knock around together in the 1960's. Some lads had stolen a car and ditched it close to the tent were Gordon, me, Raymie Tyrie, Robin Hills and a couple others  camping in down the Free woods. The police woke us up early in the morning and took us off to the Top End cop shop for questioning. Naturally we were released without charge.

Tom the youngest tagged along with us when he reached drinking age, or probably the year before.  Gordon and Tom still going strong. I had a chat with Gordon last week on Facebook Messenger. 

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I struggled to find the Vesta photo but did finally find a match!

I don't recognise her name from all those years ago.

I thought Gordon would be a school year younger than you but I could be wrong.

I went to school with Raymie and was my best school mate till those things that wore skirts took my interest.

I spoke to Raymie at the coop at the end of last year. He still lives at the Havelock with Val.

Robin Hills was in the scouts when I was a member. He was older than us. The last I knew he was living at Ellington before he died.

Jammy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Folks,Alan,Billy Winters was the oldest,as far as I always gathered,He was on Coalface work long before Dennis.

I started the Aad Pit in 1965,when I was transferred there from Choppington High Pit.

We were regarded by the Aad pit union as "Strangers",and " The Choppington Men".

They were very clanny at the Aad pit,even when other pits closed,like the Doctor Pit,and Cambois Pit,they were also "Strangers"...and strangers had to stand at the back of the queue when it came to drawing for spare Cyevils...[spare men were needed to fill the vacated jobs of those men who were idle].

So,after being on coalface work as a Coalcutterman,and Coalfiller,aged 21 yrs,I suddenly found myself working at the shaft bottom area of the pit.[where trainees usually start their first jobs underground!]

Dennis Winter worked on the Loader-end,at the High Main shaft bottom..and that is where I met him,and worked with him,till I got a cyevil on Composite work,with an older [41yrs old!!] Cambois Coalcutterman called Joe Hickman..a hell of a worker!

Tom came down the pit as a 16 yr lad not long afore the pit closed..I remember him as being a smashing natured ,jovial kid,who would do owt ti help anybody.

I never knew Gordon,or Willy's Sister.

Jammy,I worked with all the Hillsy's,The old timers were "Famous" Coalcuttermen at the aad pit,and Billy was a Shearer/Coalcutterman at Bates.

Norman was a canny kid.

Uncle Billy,at Bates pit,used ti play "Lily the Pink" on his mooth organ owa the "DAC" [Coalface Tannoy system],which was connected throughout the pit,reet ti thi Control Centre at Bank..[the surface],so ivrybody in the whole pit,used ti hear him,and shout for requests..!

The Manager had ti quietly ask him ti stop!

Just ti clarify a point..he only ever did that when there was a major Conveyor belt stoppage,and all the Machines were standing...in case anybody though it was a crazy unsafe thing to do...and nothing in the Coal Mines and Quarries Act 1954,says you cannot play ya Moothie when the belts are standing!!

I also worked with Alby Douds,Cappy Foreman ,Tommy O'Neil,Billy Crackett,Dusty Miller,and a fella called Billy Miller,who trained me to work on the Coalcutters..he was a hell of a Cutterman as weel. R.I.P. Billy Miller.

There were 900 men at the Aad Pit,and I knew hundreds of them at any given point in time..it didn't take lang ti get ti knaa them,when there were 30 men on each face,in each shift!...

Cheers Folks.

Stay Safe!

Bill.

Edited by HIGH PIT WILMA
Ammendment to text
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jammy,it's late and aam buggaad,aal hook up wi ye thi morn!

Cheers.

Bill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jammy said:

I struggled to find the Vesta photo but did finally find a match!

I don't recognise her name from all those years ago.

I thought Gordon would be a school year younger than you but I could be wrong.

I went to school with Raymie and was my best school mate till those things that wore skirts took my interest.

I spoke to Raymie at the coop at the end of last year. He still lives at the Havelock with Val.

Robin Hills was in the scouts when I was a member. He was older than us. The last I knew he was living at Ellington before he died.

Jammy

I could be wrong about Gordon's age - I just know he was with our crowd first at the YMCA then whatever pub we could get into:).

A few names from our crowd are Robin Hills - Davey Bower - Gordon Winter (with Tommy following) - Raymie Tyrie ( I was Raymie & Val's best man at Morpeth registry and that would be around 1965 or 66) - Steven Locker - Norman Hills (Robins Cousin) -Norman Robson - Michael Joseph (Jass = boxer) - Ronnie Ince - Alex Third - Dave Aisbitt and older than us but we all mixed = Bob Patterson (or was it Pattinson) - Alan & Mick Maguie  (think Mick was younger ) -  and there were loads more good friends and casual acquaintances . I think the whole of Bedlington Station must have been mates - including the lasses that I haven't mentioned any names.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

I could be wrong about Gordon's age - I just know he was with our crowd first at the YMCA then whatever pub we could get into:).

A few names from our crowd are Robin Hills - Davey Bower - Gordon Winter (with Tommy following) - Raymie Tyrie ( I was Raymie & Val's best man at Morpeth registry and that would be around 1965 or 66) - Steven Locker - Norman Hills (Robins Cousin) -Norman Robson - Michael Joseph (Jass = boxer) - Ronnie Ince - Alex Third - Dave Aisbitt and older than us but we all mixed = Bob Patterson (or was it Pattinson) - Alan & Mick Maguie  (think Mick was younger ) -  and there were loads more good friends and casual acquaintances . I think the whole of Bedlington Station must have been mates - including the lasses that I haven't mentioned any names.

 

Alan,

         I know all the people you mention. You may know Norman Hills died in his early 50's I believe, with a heart problem as did Robin. Davey Bower is gone as is Mick Maguire. I grew up in the same street as Bob Pattison(big paddy). Bob's brother John was my mate and was also called paddy or padsa. Yes Alan Maguire is the oldest in the family. Dave Aisbitt was/is known as Dazzy. I think anyone around our age was known to us around the station.

 A radio program I listen to on Saturdays from 4 to 8pm is all 60's stuff so well worth a listen for us as kids growing up in the 60's. It's Gold radio and is on Sky channel 0121. It's also available as an app for phones and tablets and is available online. A google will find it very quickly. It brings back a lot of memories. Phones and tablets do not sound so good because of the poor speakers they have. It's on 24hrs a day when they have a mix of older music and often only an advert every 30 mins, so good. They may play 60's music from 10pm the rest of the week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Folks,aye, a knew a lot of them youngin's,only cos a was transferred ti thi aad pit mind,Dyevvy Bower,Stevie Locker,Alan McGuire ,and Micky, they were a canny set of youngun's,they were aal on timber-leading and shaft-bottom work,they aal got on doon the pit and oot thi pit,same as aa did wi my Marra's at Choppington High Pit,working together underground,and oot on motorbikes most nights in the summer nights,and oot for waaks wi the dogs when we weren't biking.

Aam sorry ti hear of the lads who passed on too soon in life.

Thi pits had a comradeship like no other industry..other than the Armed Forces,methinks.

Jammy,me and Wor Lass usually have UK GOLD on the DAB radio in the hoose,it's constantly 1960-70's..aal day lang.

We have an APP called "TUNE-IN" on our phones,it's aal 60's and the sound quality is only as good as the cans you wear...obviously the speakers are crap,better than none!, but a decent set of cans sound great...ti my 75 year aad deef lugs enywheh!!..oh!...and that  app is a free download.[Check it oot..]

Mebbe the Gold you mention,is the same station,but with UK pre-fix to the Station name for Radio.

Alan,I didn't know Raymie Tyrie,but a worked wi a lad at Choppington High Pit,in the very early 1960's,caaled Ken Tyrie,he was a young apprentice Fitter.

He lives doon Grange Park noo,wud Raymie be his Brother?,also was Val a wee bonny dark haired lass wi an attractive tooth-gap..used ti gaan ti the Clayton Ballroom skating on a Wednesday neets,where aa met my Wife,who was friendly with a lass called Val..an unusual name among the crowd aa kew..?..[my Lass also has the tooth-gap which attracted me the first time aa saw her!!...but she hates it!!]

A think at that time,my Val was gaan wi one of Davy Bower/Stevie Locker's marra's  nickamed "Butch",he was a smashing natured lad,like aal he's Marra's...but they were aal only aboot 16 or 17 yrs aad...if they were that!!

A still see Ronnie Ince noo and again,at the station...nivvor seen any of the other lads for decades since thi aad Pit closed.

Cheers,and Stay Safe ,folks!

Bill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Hide Adverts


×
×
  • Create New...