24 - Adamson

26 - Dunsmore

28 - Bainbridge

30 - Smith

32 - Walker

34 - Bainbridge Temple

36 - Cairns

38 - Miller

If anyone can fill in any of the gaps for Stead Lane or the previous streets it would be appreciated.

@Vic Baldry - this is the list of Stead Lane tenants, from the 40's, that Reedy's dad could remember from back then. I see he was just one house out with your grandparents but still amazing all the names he has remembered from the Bank Top & Stead Lane area.  

Thats a great list. Just my Grandma and Grandad with my Dad, Edward (Ted) carey and his sister Mary Carey lived at 35 Stead Lane not 37. We lived there between 1946 and? 1948 (my Mum Betty Carey and me and my sister Angela) while Dad was doing his teacher training after the war and we often stayed/visited when we lived in Hartlands. We remember the big garden, pigs and chickens, and sitting on Grandad's knee shelling peas. We used to swing on the gate at the front where you could see across to Blyth. I have a feeling you could get down to the river from the back of the garden? to Hartford Woods. I could be wrong as its getting on for 70 years ago! I'll  dig some photos out and put them on. Grandad worked at the pit near the station I think but injured his back in an accident underground. The photo of the ice cream cart and horse bought back memories! My sister thinks there was a small catholic church on the way to the station anyone remember? 

Cath Baldry 

The name Baldry has just triggered off a memory. Was there an Alf Baldry, who had something like a small holding somewhere near Bedlington Station / Bank Top / Grange Park area. I recall he had a horse and cart and would deliver to our house, a load of horse manure for the garden and sometimes even a load of coal, which probably would have been bartered with a pitman friend or neighbour who had not used their allocation (as my Dad was a Slaughterman / Butcher, then swapping some meat for coals seemed like a good idea at the time). 

Edited by Ovalteeny

4 hours ago, Vic Baldry said:

............... We used to swing on the gate at the front where you could see across to Blyth. I have a feeling you could get down to the river from the back of the garden? to Hartford Woods. .............. My sister thinks there was a small catholic church on the way to the station anyone remember? 

Cath Baldry 

Google street view showing 35 Stead Lane, 2018. 

35 Stead Lane.jpg

This 1938 map (published 1947) shows there were no houses between Stead Lane and the woods looking across to Bebside ( Blyth).Stead Lane 1938.jpg

•  

35 Stead Lane 2018.jpg

I have only ever known the on Catholic Church in Bedlington and that is St. Bedes thta is still along catholic Row at the Red Lion that is at the top of the bank as you go from the Hartlands estate to the Red Lion :- 

Hartlands.jpg

Edited by Eggy1948

Only church I can remember between Bedlington and Bedlington Station is the "Coffin Chapel" (nick-named so because of its shape) but it wasn't a catholic church. I think it's still there but not used a church any more.

Edited by Canny lass

10 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

Only church I can remember between Bedlington and Bedlington Station is the "Coffin Chapel" (nick-named so because of its shape) but it wasn't a catholic church. I think it's still there but not used a church any more.

Then & Now (2009) and the sign on the side has it as an Evangalist Chapel :-

Coffin Chapel.jpg

Edited by Eggy1948

On 27/06/2018 at 15:40, Vic Baldry said:

Thats a great list. Just my Grandma and Grandad with my Dad, Edward (Ted) carey and his sister Mary Carey lived at 35 Stead Lane not 37. We lived there between 1946 and? 1948 (my Mum Betty Carey and me and my sister Angela) while Dad was doing his teacher training after the war and we often stayed/visited when we lived in Hartlands. We remember the big garden, pigs and chickens, and sitting on Grandad's knee shelling peas. We used to swing on the gate at the front where you could see across to Blyth. I have a feeling you could get down to the river from the back of the garden? to Hartford Woods. I could be wrong as its getting on for 70 years ago! I'll  dig some photos out and put them on. Grandad worked at the pit near the station I think but injured his back in an accident underground. The photo of the ice cream cart and horse bought back memories! My sister thinks there was a small catholic church on the way to the station anyone remember? 

Cath Baldry 

On 07/08/2017 at 14:01, Canny lass said:

Thanks Eggy. I must have got it wrong. Those pictures are definitely the Jack Antonio I remember. His cart was very colourful. 

On 07/08/2017 at 14:01, Canny lass said:

Thanks Eggy. I must have got it wrong. Those pictures are definitely the Jack Antonio I remember. His cart was very colourful. 

Hi, i have just stumbled across this forum online, we are the family of Jack Antonino he is the man in the white coat and his grandson david is the little boy in the horse and cart with him, to this day we have carried on Jack’s legacy in fhe ice cream trade with our ice cream vans that have covered Bedlington and Blyth for decades as well as our very own ice cream parlour in the heart of Blyth in memory of Jacks arrival in the UK back in 1906 making it 110 years when we opend the shop. 

550BD510-2ED7-433B-B1D9-29F8DE0AC01E.jpeg

843EB355-80F8-414C-856C-E87FD3024A07.jpeg

CFDB67A6-4C6F-4B69-9761-688B8D4A1F76.jpeg

8EDCDC70-3E42-43BE-B0FB-AEE1F606800F.jpeg

8C22B7FC-F079-456C-8A88-18DA3C670607.jpeg

A4966DDA-C873-460A-B22B-CE5B55251A93.jpeg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Alex said:

Hi, i have just stumbled across this forum online, we are the family of Jack Antonino he is the man in the white coat and his grandson David is the little boy in the horse and cart with him, to this day we have carried on Jack’s legacy in the ice cream trade with our ice cream vans that have covered Bedlington and Blyth for decades as well as our very own ice cream parlour in the heart of Blyth in memory of Jacks arrival in the UK back in 1906 making it 110 years when we opened the shop. 

Thanks for the info @Alex. We believe the photos were taken in Doctor Terrace, bedlington - here are a couple of slightly clearer images of Jack, and grandson David, have been posted on a couple of the  Bedlington Facebook groups :- 

16298881_1826682734267448_2265035248567148269_n.jpg

16508617_1832835153652206_5151212482935224409_n.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Thanks for that info Alex! All these years I've been calling him Jack 'Antonio' - just as my parents and, I suspect, the rest of Netherton did way back in the fifties. I see now that we were all wrong as it should have been Jack 'Antonino'. Lovely to see that the firm is still going after all these years.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Hide Adverts