Welcome to Bedlington. If you're a resident or just visiting, you'll find everything you need here. There's no cost to participate and members see content not available to anybody else.

Eggy1948    206
6 hours ago, Peter Turner said:

All four photographs of Puddlers Row, Bank top, Bedlington were kindly sent to me by Mr Jack Earl. He was born at number 20 Puddlers Row in 1939. 

Jack contacted me through a request for photos of Puddlers Row in the local history magazine ' Creeful of Coals. 

Many thanks to Jack for the only photo I've ever seen of Puddlers Row. 

Thanks for sharing Peter - I think these will be a first for anyone  on this site.

It's too difficult fore me not to make this request - Is it Ok to share these photos with interested parties, ie. old Bedlington folk?

There is one particular person I would like to pass a copy to and that's @Reedy, who is a member on this site but I know he hasn't visited the site since April 21st and uses the Bedlington Facebook groups more. You would see from many of Reedy's posts on this site that Reedy's dad ( born c1929 and lived on the Bebside side of the river next to the Furnace Bridge) has been a source of a lot of info.I would like him to see the photos, if that's Ok with you? The photos would not be posted on facebook but sent, with text on them, via the Facebook personal Message service to Reedy.

eg   

Puddlers Row shrunk.jpg

You never know he might be able to name someone in the photos

Edited by Eggy1948

Eggy1948    206
1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

This Puddler’s Row has had me perplexed .........................

Pleased I wasn't researching Puddlers Row. My Hero = Canny Lass.

Canny lass    331
13 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

You never know he might be able to name someone in the photos

I think the man in the white coat with the horse and cart could be Jack Antonio (not sure about the spelling), ice-cream seller. He came to Netherton as well in the early fifties. He seemed ancient to me, at 4-5 years old, then. 

Eggy1948    206
1 hour ago, Peter Turner said:

I contacted Jack Earl and he's happy for people to share the photos of Puddlers Row. 

Thanks Peter.

Eggy1948    206
4 hours ago, Canny lass said:

I think the man in the white coat with the horse and cart could be Jack Antonio (not sure about the spelling), ice-cream seller. He came to Netherton as well in the early fifties. He seemed ancient to me, at 4-5 years old, then. 

There was another ice cream seller - same type of horse & cart went around the Oval & Bedlington Station estates but I can't remember his name and the only other bit of info that's stuck in me mind is that he came, all the way, from Cambois to sell his wares.

Two images of Jack Antonio in the Doctor Pit rows and it looks like they were both done on the same day, just seconds apart - one from Facebook groups and the other with some info on Jack from Evan Martin's book The Shire of Bedlington in old picture postcards :-

Jack Antonio.jpg

Canny lass    331

Thanks Eggy. I must have got it wrong. Those pictures are definitely the Jack Antonio I remember. His cart was very colourful. 

Reedy    14

My Dad John Reed was born in December 1928 and was brought up on Stead Lane. He has a copy of the photograph and identifies the motorcycle rider as Alan Walker and the ice cream seller as Billy Bell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pete    114

I remember the ice cream man, he came round the oval area as well as Stead lane early fifties and into the sixties. His second name was Bell but we always refered to him as Jack Bell but his name may well have been Billy Bell. He had a white ice cream cart and it was pulled by the horse.

I remember reading somewhere, not sure if was on this thread that he came from Camboise but I always thought he was from Bebside but again I could be wrong.

• Like 1

Eggy1948    206
2 hours ago, Pete said:

I remember the ice cream man, he came round the oval area as well as Stead lane early fifties and into the sixties. His second name was Bell but we always refered to him as Jack Bell but his name may well have been Billy Bell. He had a white ice cream cart and it was pulled by the horse.

I remember reading somewhere, not sure if was on this thread that he came from Camboise but I always thought he was from Bebside but again I could be wrong.

My mind @Pete says that my parents told me that the guy with the horse & cart, selling ice cream in Coquetdale Place late 1950s, came from Cambois, but I can't remember his name.   

• Like 1

HIGH PIT WILMA    120

Jack Antoniho  came aroond Hollymoont Square from the days when the square was still being built..and my family moved into number 13 when aa was aboot three and a haaf yeors auld...that was aroond 1947-8.

Us kids that had nowt but the claas on wa backs,used ti cadge lifts on his cart aroond thi square,and he used ti gie us a haaf-dozen wafer biscuits ti keep wi happy!!

He was the kindest "old" [ti us!] man we ever knew.

As time went by,me Faatha used ti send me oot ti get ice-cream "Sammidges"...the wafer biscuit type..not cornets..for aal wa family...a once-a-week treat!

So auld Jack knew his business!!....treat thi kids reet....nae bother gettin' mair business as a result!

Oh.....!....and nae historic claims of child abuse wi aad Jack!

Great ti see these pics of Jack.

HIGH PIT WILMA    120

Weel done Canny Lass!!

A think we'll start caaling ye "VERA"!.........[ A  dinna waatch telly,but aav seen thi film crews knockin' aroond a few times!!...at Blyth and other places!]

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now