John,you got me puzzled noo!!

First you quote my posting aboot Puddler's Raa,saying it was called Pisspot Raa,now you posted this pic of Phoenix Raa,and are saying THIS was Pisspot Raa....come on,which one?,cos this is the first time i have ever heard this nickname used..and i was at Bedlington A pit for six years,working with really old timers who were born in the early 1900's,and knew the area's history very well,and also married a lass that was born in Puddler's Raa...and SHE,and Her Family,including Her Mother [born 1909],hadn't heard of it either.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

John,you got me puzzled noo!!

First you quote my posting aboot Puddler's Raa,saying it was called Pisspot Raa,now you posted this pic of Phoenix Raa,and are saying THIS was Pisspot Raa....come on,which one?,cos this is the first time i have ever heard this nickname used..and i was at Bedlington A pit for six years,working with really old timers who were born in the early 1900's,and knew the area's history very well,and also married a lass that was born in Puddler's Raa...and SHE,and Her Family,including Her Mother [born 1909],hadn't heard of it either.

Hi. Missed this Post and appolgise HPW

Phoenix Row was suppose to be the dirtiest place in Bedlington. It was nicknamed "Pisspot Row" or to us with our twang "Pisspot Raa"

My appolgies abot the confusion. Hmmm just wondering if i had a few wee drams earlier on my original comment.

shop row was at the back of bower grange where your relatives live derek and doreen

Since joining I am enjoying dragging bits of my memory back, and annoying the wife who's from Cramlington and has no idea. We used to walk from the Oval to Barrington School via the pit. So we came out at the Pioneer Boot Factory; crossed the road; went right through the pit and down passed a row of house to the railway gates at the start of the Barrington Road. I could not remember the name of the pit row, so you saying Shop Row has dragged it all back. Eric Tielman used to live in that row. Can't remember anyone else.

Since joining I am enjoying dragging bits of my memory back, and annoying the wife who's from Cramlington and has no idea. We used to walk from the Oval to Barrington School via the pit. So we came out at the Pioneer Boot Factory; crossed the road; went right through the pit

Memories

I've got a fold-up pamphlet that is quite interesting regarding the iron Works. Can't remember where I got it though.

post-2953-0-20898800-1360953481_thumb.jp

Go to our website at http://www.sixtownships.org.uk

The ironworks is in the archive.

Now there are two stories on the ironworks , but the best one is by Chris Bergen

Also rare pics of Michael Longridge and a promotion card with a enhine on

Obituries of Birkinshaw and more

Its really being put together at the moment with the interest of doing something really positive to give Bedlington and the ironworks more recognition as i dont belive we have had it in the past.

When you look at some of the pioneers associated with Bedlington i really think our group can do something more positive for Bedlington.

Anyway have a look and if you got any info to help us look into put in our forum and group members can look into it to build up a psitive piocture of Bedlington's role in the early days with the Ironworks, railways etc.

My Dad has a list of some of the streets around the Bank Top/Stead Lane area with a lot of the family names of the occupants. Not sure of the date though.

He also has the same for the streets on the Bebside side of the river.

I'll get the lists off him next week and will post them on here possibly with a picture of the Bebside streets too. Might take a few days though.

Memories

Brilliant, thanks for that, picture download and labelled - 'A Pit Entrance off Station Road'. I think I'm right in remembering the pit canteen was on the left and we used to go there f rom the secondary school and get a full dinner for 1 shilling. But that picture makes me ask the question (cos I can't remember) - What was the name of the street to the right of this picture. You can just see the road sloping down on the right. Hills, Caruthers, my age, and the younger Marshall twins all lived in this row. The row that was opposite Station Road and is now Blagdon Court.

Brilliant, thanks for that, picture download and labelled - 'A Pit Entrance off Station Road'. I think I'm right in remembering the pit canteen was on the left and we used to go there f rom the secondary school and get a full dinner for 1 shilling. But that picture makes me ask the question (cos I can't remember) - What was the name of the street to the right of this picture. You can just see the road sloping down on the right. Hills, Caruthers, my age, and the younger Marshall twins all lived in this row. The row that was opposite Station Road and is now Blagdon Court.

A thought just popped in as I was about to 'Friday night' pop out - South Row?

Station Road not sure of the street, bet Keith can tell us.

Just thought, it may be South Row.

Believe it or not I was just talking about that row of houses today !! . South Row it is Foxy !. Is it a miss? I don't think so, its always nice to look back with fondness, but the place does look better the way it is. I can fully understand where Adam is coming from regarding the demise of the pits and the loss of jobs etc. but Bedlington is much,much, cleaner and a healthier place to live without them. I think we all owe something to those who worked in our pits, the majority of us had close relatives employed in the pits, Adam, HPW, Barton Raffie and John Dawson are here to remind us of the significant contribution that the pits made to the town and the debt we owe to those who kept us fed and watered with the money earned by shear hard graft. The decision to demolish the pit rows was the right one, they have been replaced by clean modern homes, Our skyline is not dominated by the great mountain of a pit heap anymore (I showed one the kids the photo on here and she asked where the mountain was) although we had many a great day playing on it, getting a thick lug for going home with half the heap still sticking to us was another thing though. Washing can be put out on the lines and still be clean when it is brought back in !!. We should never ignore the past, nor forget what those before us have done, but we also should appreciate what we have and look ahead to what we can achieve. Someone once said " Nostalgia is not what it used to be " .... Give me a clean bright Bedlington any day. Edited by keith

I have been reliably informed that the streets which were located around the 'Bank Top' area were as follows -

Starting at what used to be Joe Jennings farm and shop including Mansion House now possibly 'Smiles' was Glassey Terrace. The first 7 houses were originally named Howard Terrace but the name was changed to Glassey Terrace as a result of misdirected mail as another Howard Terrace existed in Netherton.

Families living in Glassey Tce in the 1940s/1950s were -

1 - Storey

2 - Jobson

3 - Storey

4 - Watson

5 - Tait

6 -

7 - Hedley

8 - Moscrop

9 - Proudlock

10 - Hedley

11 - Andrews

12 - Brown

13 - Gregg

14 - Morton

15 - Gibson

16 - Wonford

Next came the Bank Top Hotel(opened in 1903) Landlord J McKenna.

To the left of the Bank Top pub was a row of about 4 cottages occupied by families McSparron, Cole and Thompson. These cottages were next to the Puddlers Arms which contained flats occupied by Bell, McGregor, Miller , Rooney. These were also known as Craggs Buildings. This collection of homes including the Puddlers Arms were eventually cleared to make way for what is now River View Close.

Continuing away from the Bank Top was River View -

1 - Turnbull

2 - Scoular

3 - Patterson

4 - Dodds

5 -

6 -

7 -

8 -

9 - Stanners

10 - Metcalfe

11 - Tipple

12 - Dawson

13 - Mood

14 - Hall

15 - Short

16 - Fenwick

17 -

18 -

19 - Douglas

20 - Coe

Staying on the right hand side of the road next came 'Puddlers Row'. These houses ran as far as number 2 Stead Lane across the area at the top of what is now Tomlea Avenue where the cottages are.

Families in Puddlers Row approx mid 1950s (some show numerous or duplicate names as families moved or swapped houses)-

1 - McGarry/McAndrews

2 - Donohoe

3 - McCafferty

4 - Conomy

5 - Noon/Odonnell/Tellum

6 - Thain/Furness

7 - Neary

8 - Mullarkey/Smallman

9 - Bellerby

10 -Carey

11 - Murphy/Bolam

12 - Nicholson

13 - Weatheritt

14 - Kelly/Snowdon

15 - Kinghorn/McCafferty

16 - Oliver

17 - Birch/Mulholland/Mole

18 - Easton/Craze

19 - Smallman/Walker/McCafferty

20 - Mullarkey/Earl

These houses led onto Stead Lane with the even numbers on the right as you headed towards Bedlington and the odd numbers (Doyles Shop side)on the left.

I also have an almost complete list of families for Stead Lane if anyone wants them posted.

Please note the information was compiled by my Father (who is now 84 years old and has lived at the Bank Top all his life)and a few old family friends whose names appear in the lists of families. I cannot comment on their accuracy or the exact dates as no records were used only 'grey matter' and memories.

Families living in Stead Lane around 1940s -

1 - Rankin

3 - Patterson (3a Miss Young)

5 - Creigh (Doyles Shop)

7 - Pearman

9 - Mole

11 - Dott (11a Warren)

13 - Wilson

15 - Tighe

17 - Ellis

19 -

21 - Birch

23 - Powers

25 -

27 - Jones

29 - Mole

31 - Richardson

33 -

35 -

37 - Carey

39 - Hall

41 -

43 - Thompson

45 - Shadforth

47 - Pallister

49 - Robinson Chapman

51 - Simpson

53 - Robson

55 - Jennings

57 - Cramer

59 - Murphy

61 - Brown

63 - Green

65 - Dixon

67 - Jackson

69 - Green

71 - Gallon

2 - Price

4 - Mood

6 - Arries

8 - Hebron

10 - Thompson

12 - Mole

14 - Grand

16 - Reed

18 - Napier

20 - Wilson

22 - Hewitson

24 - Adamson

26 - Dunsmore

28 - Bainbridge

30 - Smith

32 - Walker

34 - Bainbridge Temple

36 - Cairns

38 - Miller

If anyone can fill in any of the gaps for Stead Lane or the previous streets it would be appreciated.

Families living in Stead Lane around 1940s -

1 - Rankin

3 - Patterson (3a Miss Young)

5 - Creigh (Doyles Shop)

7 - Pearman

9 - Mole

11 - Dott (11a Warren)

13 - Wilson

15 - Tighe

17 - Ellis

19 -

21 - Birch

23 - Powers

25 -

27 - Jones

29 - Mole

31 - Richardson

33 -

35 -

37 - Carey

39 - Hall

41 -

43 - Thompson

45 - Shadforth

47 - Pallister

49 - Robinson Chapman

51 - Simpson

53 - Robson

55 - Jennings

57 - Cramer

59 - Murphy

61 - Brown

63 - Green

65 - Dixon

67 - Jackson

69 - Green

71 - Gallon

2 - Price

4 - Mood

6 - Arries

8 - Hebron

10 - Thompson

12 - Mole

14 - Grand

16 - Reed

18 - Napier

20 - Wilson

22 - Hewitson

24 - Adamson

26 - Dunsmore

28 - Bainbridge

30 - Smith

32 - Walker

34 - Bainbridge Temple

36 - Cairns

38 - Miller

If anyone can fill in any of the gaps for Stead Lane or the previous streets it would be appreciated.

cracking research m8. well done. its useful info indeed. :thumbsup:

First residents in Melrose Avenue - Unsure of the date of construction but at least 60 years ago.

1 - Dixon

2 - Alison

3 - Amos

4 - Myerscough

5 - Hindmarsh

6 - Montgomery

7 - Chester

8 - Trotter

9 -

10 - Collins

11 - Lown

12 - Fail

13 - Oldfield

14 - Innes

15 - Reid

16 - Fish

17 - Winter

18 - Cummins

19 -

20 - Connel

21 - Cummins

22 - Douglas

23 - Todd

24 - McKay

25 -

26 - Thain

27 - Tyrie

28 - Hall

29 - Pearson

30 - Matthews

31 - Robinson

32 - Gordon

33 - Mills

34 - Rutter

35 - Bowman

36 - Morgan

37 - Lee

38 - Crame

39 - Chapple

40 - Pymm

41 -

42 - Conroy

43 -

44 - Dobson

45 - Highfield

46 - Harmison

47 - Hall

48 - Martins

49 - Grieves

50 - Young

I have been reliably informed that the streets which were located around the 'Bank Top' area were as follows -

Starting at what used to be Joe Jennings farm and shop including Mansion House now possibly 'Smiles' was Glassey Terrace. The first 7 houses were originally named Howard Terrace but the name was changed to Glassey Terrace as a result of misdirected mail as another Howard Terrace existed in Netherton.

Families living in Glassey Tce in the 1940s/1950s were -

1 - Storey

2 - Jobson

3 - Storey

4 - Watson

5 - Tait

6 -

7 - Hedley

8 - Moscrop

9 - Proudlock

10 - Hedley

11 - Andrews

12 - Brown

13 - Gregg

14 - Morton

15 - Gibson

16 - Wonford

Next came the Bank Top Hotel(opened in 1903) Landlord J McKenna.

To the left of the Bank Top pub was a row of about 4 cottages occupied by families McSparron, Cole and Thompson. These cottages were next to the Puddlers Arms which contained flats occupied by Bell, McGregor, Miller , Rooney. These were also known as Craggs Buildings. This collection of homes including the Puddlers Arms were eventually cleared to make way for what is now River View Close.

Continuing away from the Bank Top was River View -

1 - Turnbull

2 - Scoular

3 - Patterson

4 - Dodds

5 -

6 -

7 -

8 -

9 - Stanners

10 - Metcalfe

11 - Tipple

12 - Dawson

13 - Mood

14 - Hall

15 - Short

16 - Fenwick

17 -

18 -

19 - Douglas

20 - Coe

Staying on the right hand side of the road next came 'Puddlers Row'. These houses ran as far as number 2 Stead Lane across the area at the top of what is now Tomlea Avenue where the cottages are.

Families in Puddlers Row approx mid 1950s (some show numerous or duplicate names as families moved or swapped houses)-

1 - McGarry/McAndrews

2 - Donohoe

3 - McCafferty

4 - Conomy

5 - Noon/Odonnell/Tellum

6 - Thain/Furness

7 - Neary

8 - Mullarkey/Smallman

9 - Bellerby

10 -Carey

11 - Murphy/Bolam

12 - Nicholson

13 - Weatheritt

14 - Kelly/Snowdon

15 - Kinghorn/McCafferty

16 - Oliver

17 - Birch/Mulholland/Mole

18 - Easton/Craze

19 - Smallman/Walker/McCafferty

20 - Mullarkey/Earl

These houses led onto Stead Lane with the even numbers on the right as you headed towards Bedlington and the odd numbers (Doyles Shop side)on the left.

I also have an almost complete list of families for Stead Lane if anyone wants them posted.

Please note the information was compiled by my Father (who is now 84 years old and has lived at the Bank Top all his life)and a few old family friends whose names appear in the lists of families. I cannot comment on their accuracy or the exact dates as no records were used only 'grey matter' and memories.

Hope my 'grey matter' is still working in 20 years time. Tell him thank you and well remembered from me.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now