Bedlington Railway Station

Thanks for putting me right about the 444 - 44; I can remember one but vaguely the other. Now the 42, I may be wrong here but I'm sure that went to North Shields. We had friends in South Shields and we caught the 42 to the quayside and got the ferry across. In fact the 42 was still running that way until a couple of years ago - maybe it still is!!!

Correctimundo, you six gun totin son of a prarie sand dancing cactus hugging nymph, 42 whent to N Shields, one in the morning and one in the evening diverted slightly for the factories at Cramlington as far as I know. 44 changed to 444 in the '70s. Up till very recently John Crocker was driving it in the winter months when his ice cream van was parked up,

Every Thursday after school I'd get the 42 from the Red Lion to go to see my Granny ... I used to get off at Billy Mill (almost N.Shields). The bus used to drop down Bedlington Bank, past East Hartford, the Three Horse Shoes pub, Seaton Delaval, Earsdon, Shiremoor, Billy Mill, then onwards to Shields. I remember the you had to pull this long chrome door handle (maybe 2'6" long) to open the door to get off ... the bus was always a single decker.

Every Thursday after school I'd get the 42 from the Red Lion to go to see my Granny ... I used to get off at Billy Mill (almost N.Shields). The bus used to drop down Bedlington Bank, past East Hartford, the Three Horse Shoes pub, Seaton Delaval, Earsdon, Shiremoor, Billy Mill, then onwards to Shields. I remember the you had to pull this long chrome door handle (maybe 2'6" long) to open the door to get off ... the bus was always a single decker.

Times were hard, when I was a lad, only had enough money to get the bus to Whitley Bay! But you are all right and my memory has been jogged , thank you. North Shields, where they had the ferry, was the final destination. If you were rich you could get the ferry to 'sand-dancers' country - as you will have worked out, never been there.

I had a 1970 1600E, aubergine in colour, Recarro seats, Rostyle wheels. I took the standard exhaust off it and put on a Jeff Howell full-bore, straight-through exhaust with tuned headers on, Maserati air horns which played Colonel Bogey (I still have these but I'm too chicken to fit them to my current car). It was a great car.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone remember the hay wagon catching fire. A spark from a train landed on a wagon piled high with hay bales, by the time the gates opened the fire had a good hold. I remember standing watching the fire, the lorry had stopped just infront of the library, next to the island in the road.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now