Bedlington Furnace

There are many stories relating to the Bedlington Furnace and the Iron and Engine works as we know was there too.

However, i thgought this would be of interest in re-writing history.

I got the story confirmed by a relative who is alive in our area.

I think this should have been put right yeares ago, but anyway, here it is.

An old story that the seven poplar trees at the Bedlington Furnace were associated with Michael Longridge, and him planting a tree for everyone of his daughters is far from true. The trees became known locally as the "Seven Sisters.â€

It would have been an honour to have had the trees named after an important person as Longridge, but sadly i have had to rewrite history and the following story will help our readers understand it more.

The cottage in the drawing is of Rose Cottage, and was once the home of Mr. Joseph Forster. The poplar trees, once eight, were planted to represent each of Mr. Forster's sons.

In addition to his sons, Mr. Forster and his wife, Margaret, had five daughters, and the story of this large happy family are in the memoirs of Mrs. J. R. Mather, who lived in Front Street, Bedlington.

It is a story not only of a family, but how, in the "bad old days,†on 30 shillings, a man and his wife were able to give to each of their 13 children the chance of a career. Even in the early days of boarding schools, children with ability and wise parents could become professional people.

Mr. Forster was in charge of an electric pumping machine with the old Bebside Coal Company, but both he and his wife were ambitious for their children. Mrs. Forster was "Chancellor of the Exchequer,†and while she would never allow money to be wasted, it was always forthcoming if any of the children wished to learn music, painting, or study.

Of this gifted family, one son C. E. Forster became minister of South Parish Church, Aberdeen, Scotland, and the other, Cuthbert, became a chemist in London. In-fact the whole family at one time or another, were scholars at Bebside School and three returned as teachers.

Another son, Tom, died in Portland, Oregon, U.S.A. Joseph, another son, died in Perth, West Australia, and a daughter, Hannah died in South Africa. Albert, was lost during World War II, when his ship was torpedoed.

In her memoirs, Mrs Mather said: "I must uphold the past as not all bad. My father was a non smoker and non drinker. He earned only 30 shillings a week, but my mother was a dress maker, and between them they educated every member of my family. We were a very happy family.â€

Mr. Forster died at work at the age of 71 years. His wife attained the age of 89. The great grandchildren of Joseph and Margaret are too numerous to be counted, but the 34 grandchildren included three doctors, several teachers, a dental surgeon, a M.N. captain, a chemist, a music teacher and a lecturer at King's College, Newcastle Upon Tyne.

With such a record, it seems obvious that, before State Aid was thought about, people with ability and initiative did not find it impossible to rise above the circumstances of birth.

post-1337-0-61942500-1357855792_thumb.jp

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now