Old Bedlington Photographs & Stories

At the Doctor Pit on Sunday August 10th 1952 the chimney that was part of the steam plant that was used to drive the John Pit winder was demolished in a controlled explosion. The steam winder had been replaced by one driven by electricity so the chimney was no longer needed.
It was quite a spectacle for all of us as it could be seen from most parts of the town. The small chimney at the back was part of the brickworks and Telephone Row is the row nearest the pit.

This part of the town has changed quite a lot in the last 65 years.59920185338cf_DrPitChimneys.thumb.jpg.d1975186f465637ebd583e1e6b028628.jpg

• Like 2

This is not Bedlington Station Brickworks and but is almost certainly the Bedlington Brickworks. The Bedlington skyline can be seen in the background and the row of houses at the back of the brickworks is probably South Row.

The Brickworks at Bedlington Station were known as the Barrington Brickworks and in the attached photo you can see the Barrington Brickworks in the 1960’s with the Bedlington “A” pit in the background. (The “Aad” Pit). The discard dump at the extreme right of the photo is now Gallagher Park.

The other photo shows the Barrington Brickworks in 1894 after a boiler explosion demolished the works.5996b4e848a11_BarringtonBrickworks1960s.thumb.jpg.51ddc94565f526ca68e1ddb72e06fe9e.jpg5996b528e8b31_BarringtonBrickworks1894.thumb.jpg.ea4ca59f45f13a709f06cc26fd1417e2.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/18/2017 at 10:38, James said:

This is not Bedlington Station Brickworks and but is almost certainly the Bedlington Brickworks. The Bedlington skyline can be seen in the background and the row of houses at the back of the brickworks is probably South Row.

Cheers James.

• 5 months later...

Just read this section having only joined several weeks ago and see a reference to a local polis providing a crime exhibition in the foyer of the Prince of Wales mid 50s.  I can remember PC Mann chasing me as a youngster from a building site (great place to play in the rafters of a new house!)  where I was not supposed to be.  Also remember his son Paul who was in my class at school.  Last saw him in the Duke of Wellington Club at Blyth.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now