The Ploughman And The Flower

In a post, that i can't find again someone was talking about a ghost story connected to Bedlington.

This is the story.

The Ploughman And The Flower

In Bedlington, lived a very rich but very mean natured couple, whose only daughter was so beautiful she was called 'The Flower of Bedlington'. She was in love with James Robson a young man who loved her deeply. He was well liked, well mannered and hard working but her parents disliked him as he was very poor and worked as a ploughman. Her parents wanted nothing to do with James and tried all they could to split the couple up, so that she would marry a rich man that they chose. Nothing the mean parents did could keep the couple apart, so in a final attempt to separate the couple the girl was sent to live with her uncle at his farm in Stokesley in North Yorkshire.

The couple said a tearful farewell and pledged their love, the girl pledged:

"of love and truth through life sincere,

nor death should part,

for from the grave,

short time should the survivor save."

The separation devastated James and in less than a week with a broken heart he died. This delighted the girls parents and they already had a wealthy suitor they planned to marry her to at once. The day that James was buried, the parents had everything arranged to collect their daughter from Stokesley and bring her home to be married. They went to bed early so as to leave early next morning to fetch their daughter.

At midnight on her fathers favourite horse, James arrived at the farm in Stokesley to meet his love. As he knocked on the door the girl called out and he said "Come quick love. Here is your mother's cloak and hood and your father's good grey mare, you are to ride home with me at once."

The girl rushed out followed by her uncle. The uncle was unsure at first but when he saw the horse and clothes which he recognized, he let them go with his blessing, and off they went.

On the journey James complained that his head hurt so the girl wrapped her scarf around him saying "My dear, you are as cold as lead." As the moon came from behind a cloud the girl noticed that James cast no shadow but she and the horse did, she had no time to ponder the thought as they had reached her parents house. Gently lifting her from the horse James said "Your mare has travelled far, so you go in and as I'm able I'll feed and tend her in your stable."

Knocking on the door she called to her parents that she was safely home with James, thinking her parents had changed their mind as they had sent James to fetch her home. Her father hearing this started to shake with fright, knowing that James had just been buried. He rushed to the stables to see who was there only to find his horse covered with sweat from a long ride.

Inside the house the mother told the girl the news of James death. With a sharp cry the girl fainted and fell to the floor where the colour drained from her face and her whole body started to shake. Carried to her bed she lay still and white, where even the best doctors called in could find no physical reason for her condition, but it was clear she was fading away.

The only time she spoke again was to request she be buried in the same coffin as James and filled with grief and remorse her parents agreed. A few days later the girl passed away. When the coffin was opened the parents saw the girls scarf wrapped around James just as their daughter had told them on the night he brought her home.

Thats it. I dont recall anymore Ghost Stories similar to this.

I know this story well as it appears in a number of books on the subject of ghost stories. The full version states the family lived at Netherton Hall, I believe.

There is a well known 'ghost' - a young girl, I think - who walks the path that leads from the Houghton Road across the fields down to the Humford Baths. A friend of mine and his daughter had a first hand 'sighting' which was rather curious. Driving one early evening a few years back they witnessed what they described as a 'ball of mist' rolling from the path cross the road, and drove through it. In his rear view mirror my friend, a policeman, witnessed - at the same time - a car behind swerving off onto the verge. He reversed back to find a young woman, thankfully unhurt and undamaged, shaken as she had turned to avoid a 'girl crossing the road'. This apparition is well known to many taxi drivers I have spoken to. Curious indeed.

Further is the story of the Millfield Soldier, again quite well documented. He appears in that area, it is said, when there is a death in the family imminent. However, a good friend of mine, having just moved from Millfield recently, explained her relief as her young son frequently stated the presence of a man 'in uniform' in the house. She had no knowledge of the story.

Finally, one from personal experience: I lived for some years on Hollymount Terrace (no 8, for the record) and witnessed, on more than one occasion, a figure wearing a hooded coat walking directly in front of my kitchen window and across my yard. To do so meant emerging from next door's kitchen wall and walking straight through my coal bunker. I could go on and tell of the 'ghosts' I have withnessed in the Grapes and the Tavern, but there's the element of alcohol in those ( I mean, a ghost cat? You have to be kidding......)

( I mean, a ghost cat? You have to be kidding......) FROM MERC'

We actually had a ghost cat at my old house. You could feel it on your bed, 'treading'. You would look down and there was nothing there. The funniest thing was I always had a brilliant night's sleep when it was on my bed.

BUT

In the same house we also had a poltergeist experience. Door handles rattling, etc. My mother and gran were absolutely petrified. I was young then but I remember everyone crying and praying. Now my granny could read tea-leaves. People used to come to our house carrying cups with tea leaves in and ask for a reading; she could also see images in the coal fire and orbs.

For the record I saw nothing - except that ghost cat. But I'm a pussy magnet so that's normal.

Recanting a story or tale as a local legend is one thing.............claiming to have seen a ghost quite another!

post-23-0-16702300-1357221321_thumb.jpg

There is a nice little room waiting for you guys at Morpeth!

One of the Table 25'ers being 'seen to'.....

post-23-0-05026300-1357221262_thumb.jpg

Now Malcolm, have an open mind! Never did I say that I believe these to be apparitions of the dead, but I am an honest man, I swear upon my pint of Hobgoblin.

Come on Keith .... " You could feel it on your bed, 'treading'. You would look down and there was nothing there. The funniest thing was I always had a brilliant night's sleep when it was on my bed."

We know what was going on in your bed :icecream::jump: especially when you got a "brilliant" kip afterwards.

Come on Keith .... " You could feel it on your bed, 'treading'. You would look down and there was nothing there. The funniest thing was I always had a brilliant night's sleep when it was on my bed."

We know what was going on in your bed :icecream::jump: especially when you got a "brilliant" kip afterwards.

I know the difference between ghosties and ghoulies - ghosties are spirits of the dead that cannot rest and goolies are...hold on there's someone at the door.

More than just an open mind Merc...........

Now Malcolm, that's not fair! I'm sure if you were to open my cranium you would find more than a fair share of fresh air!

I posted a topic - HARTFORD HALL HISTORY - last year on this mysterious lady but drew a blank with everybody. So if you know anything please let me know.

Heard this from my Dad after he did some R & R at Hartford as an injured miner. No story to go along with it other than that. Sorry!

I lived and worked on the Chillingham estate in the early '80's, and looked after the small dairy herd there as well as relief milked other herds in the area. I also worked with the wild cattle. What Ouston Widdows says about trying to catch them is absolute tosh. ( what he says about the history of them is true ). I am the only man to have calved one of those cows. The cow was stuck in a bog , we had no choice but to pull her out and I had to deliver the calf. The calf was removed to the calf house on the farm and hand reared. A few cows were lost in the 80's because of a mineral imbalance and the calves had to be reared by hand. After the foot and mouth outbreak in 1967 a small nucleus herd was set up at a secret location on Speyside in case anything should happen to the herd at Chillingham, the hand reared calves were sent there when they were weaned. The herd truly is wild and as Ouston says in the film, any that have been touched by Humans will be killed by the others, adult cattle would be banished from the herd and would usually die. The only help they would get is hay would be fed to them in the winter, but the hay has to be made within the confines of the wild cattle park , ie, within the boundary of the wall. The bulls keep within a group by themselves and they fight for the position of King Bull. I have had some very close encounters with someof those, they can be very very dangerous.

At the time I lived there the castle was in ruins (although the lawns were kept immaculate). The castle was a right spooky place to go near after dark (till you got used to it). I remember once having to go down at about 10 on a winters night and could hear talking. Lady Tankerville (dowager) used to walk the dog, a Rotweiller, around there at night and she was stood talking to someone at an upstairs window. I whent to see if she was ok because I thought there mighy have been an intruder but I could'nt see anyone. She said " no no Keith I just like talking to those who looked after the place before us" I was outa there sharpish and if I had to go there after dark I did'nt hang around too long.

The castle was offered to the National Trust who refused it on the grounds that it would cost too much to restore and make safe for visitors. It was bought by the present owner (Sir Hugh Wakefield, I think , or could it be Humphry) who restored the castle to what it is now. He also restored the ghost stories which have done his bank balance no harm at all.

There is a ford in the village and a wooden footbridge that goes over it. We had the inlaws up for the day and the wife took them round the castle and told them a few stories about the place. Just as it was getting dark I was leaving the farm and I could see them coming past the church, so I hid under the bridge. When they were on the bridge I put my hand through a gap and grabbed my sister in law's ankle, I think people as far away as Wooler and Alnwick heard her scream, what rained down through the bridge was'nt rain water either.

All the Tankervilles that have died are in the crypt in the Church, as well as the Earl Grey and Lady Jane Grey who are laid in the church itself. Their ephigies (spelling ?) are on top of the tomb.

Chillingham really is a village worth visiting if you have never been. You can even impress your kids or friends by giving one of the Californian Redwood trees a thump. ( you wont hurt yourself on the velvety bark ) but make sure it is a Redwood first. Ha Ha

You can even impress your kids or friends by giving one of the Californian Redwood trees a thump. ( you wont hurt yourself on the velvety bark ) but make sure it is a Redwood first. Ha Ha

Mr Laverick took us to Chillingham and told us about punching the trees, which we all did, but we never got to walk around the place, leastways that I can remember. In those day outs we went everywhere - Ford, Etal, Norham. It was a whistlestop tour of castles. Never saw any ghosts, though.

Edited by keith lockey

...The castle was offered to the National Trust who refused it on the grounds that it would cost too much to restore and make safe for visitors. It was bought by the present owner (Sir Hugh Wakefield...

Great story Keith.

It was Sir Humphrey I think. Maxine did an audio interview with him on KEVI Radio a number of years ago I`ll see if I can hunt it out.

I find Chillingham a facinating place.

KeithL's reference to Ford Castle brought back my schoolboy memories of the field trips there back in the 60s. I remember us being told to be watchful of the ghost (I think we were told it was of the Jocko King James lV who'd been topped at the Battle of Flodden) who used to wander the corridors. Looking back now I'm sure it was a device used by those canny teachers to spook us into not getting up to mischief at night.

We were also 'locked-up' in the oubliette (the bottlenecked dungeon) by the resident bossman - now that was spooky.

Great story Keith.

It was Sir Humphrey I think. Maxine did an audio interview with him on KEVI Radio a number of years ago I`ll see if I can hunt it out.

I really enjoyed my time at Chillingham John, but to be honest it wasn't the best of carreer moves. We were living in Lincolnshire at the time - 1979 - and the wife was very homesick, our eldest daughter was only a year old at the time and the wife really wanted to be back in the north east. I was offered the job and I took it despite it being a lot less money than I was earning in Lincolnshire. On the other hand I was involved in working with one of the most famous herds of cattle in the world and I was made part of that history by being the first man in over 700 years to calve one of those cows

To be honest I could tell you loads of stories about that place, but it would take far too much room up. Working for the Tankervilles was an experience and a half .

Edited by keith

There are two trees you can punch in Bothal Churchyard.

Just to the back of the church on the left.

Got a cracker here for you too.

My ex-son-in-law believed he was gifted to talk to the dead. I was sick of him rabiting on about it i deceided to teach him a lesson.

I got my other son-in-law with his mate to go down to the bridge at Bothal sawmill. I gave him a white sheet and a torch. I then got the other and took him down and asked him if he could get any messages from there.

My daughter sat in the car with me and we watched him cross the bridge and then saw the torch light up.

Next we heard hollow thuid thud thud as he crossed the bridge from his feet as he ran.

He came to the car as white as a sheet and shouted drive. "What for Lee" we said. "I seen a ghost cross the road in front of me"

We took him home and came back for my son-in-law. We were in stitches. As John lit the torch up and walked across the road, all Lee saw was the top half lit up.

We never told him for about a year what we had done.Needless to say he wasn't a happy chappy.

But fun all the same.

Great story Keith.

Thanks for reminding about Sir Humphrey.

Radio Gold.

Maxine Bradley talks to Sir Humphrey Wakefield about Chillingham Castle (KEVI Radio 28.09.07):

Sir HumphreyPt1.mp3

Sir HumphreyPt2.mp3

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now