Wallaw Cinema - Bedlington

keith lockey

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably been asked and answered before elsewhere but when did the Wallaw cinema close in Bedlington?

post-2953-0-64195700-1356862484_thumb.jp

I remember being at the Woody school when Nobles took it over and turned it into the Domino - so that would have been 1970-71ish.

Edited by keith lockey

It was built in 1896 as the Palace Theatre . Converted to a cinema by Walter Lawson in the 1930's. It closed in August 1966 after showing Emile and the detectives. In April 1968 it opened again as the Club Domino.

Whooooooooooooo! Come on then, what was the name of the usherette's pet budgie and who was the reel guy and what size shoes did he wear, how many seats were there and what colour was the carpet, and whilst your at it when did they stop accepting bottles as entry fees, yah boo hiss, smarty-pants-know-it-all.

I've seen photos on this site!!!! That is how I got unto you's lot. But I cannot remember which topic it was under. But there was one with the old Domino facade and some of the acts that appeared. Andy Fairweatherlow was on one. Frustrating!!!

CANCEL ALL THE ABOVE - FOUND IT.

Club Domino on this site - History Hollow - page 2.

Edited by keith lockey

Whooooooooooooo! Come on then, what was the name of the usherette's pet budgie and who was the reel guy and what size shoes did he wear, how many seats were there and what colour was the carpet, and whilst your at it when did they stop accepting bottles as entry fees, yah boo hiss, smarty-pants-know-it-all.

Can you remember torchy Tait. He used to get some jip off us kids

Truly amazing Keith, good one. I'm sure Tony Christie was there once.

Possibly was. I saw a few bands there. Long story short , me and Matty Lawson got the boot trying to get in (we were only 15 at the time) . We were stood in the budge opposite the Clayton when a van stopped, it was the band, they couldn't find the stage door so me and Matty showed them round. The band invited us in, the bouncers had faces like smacked backsides all night. The band even sneaked us drinks. The band was no other than Brian Poole and the Tremeloes. (I got a right bollicking when I got home)

Was Fat Mo's another name for the Domino - Lucifers? I mean did it go from the Dom to Fat Mo's then to Lucy's?

If I remember correctly Fat Mo`s was an under 18s disco that was over the road from Lucy`s in what is now the surgery. Didn`t last long though I think.

She was a tough nut was granny. She must have forgot her baseball bat that night. No, seriously, she told us she could get in using a bottle / jam jar as currency. If you remember you used to get a penny or thruppence off the bottle when you took the Co-op bottles back to the shop and apparently the Wallaw had some deal like that going. As I say, I don't know that much about it, just what my granny told us, but would like to no more.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now