The Angel Has Come And Bedlington Station Gets Grass

Pete

It will link the car park with the front of the shops, will have seats and a flowered / lawned area and will be camera'd up to discourage vandalism. It is also going to be locked at nights. As far as I know , EBPC is to pay for this work in return for (I think) 5 years rent free from Maurice Muter (who owns the land). Who is going to lock and re-open the gates each day ? What happens at the end of the lease ?. Whats to stop the landlord from taking it back when all of the hard / costly work has been done ?

I think that it is a really good thing that EBPC is taking steps to brighten the place up and creating places like this in Bedlington Station. The entrance to the car park , Khans corner has been sorted out this year. Councillor Allan Stewart has worked particularly hard along with the Parish Clerk, Ron Thornton in bulb and flower planting in the last year or so (only to be let down by NCC lack of grass cutting etc and kids nicking flowers and trying to sell them door to door) but there is still a long way to go before Bedlington Station is anywhere near as good as Bedlington itself.

It would help if the owners of building showed a modecum of pride and made an attempt to tidy them up. Jakes bar has been empty for about 12 years now and is derelict, even more disgraceful is the Clayton Arms. That is a business that is still trading and most of the downstairs windows are broken. Those two buildings alone are making the Station an eyesore, particularly the Clayton. It is the most imposing building here, seen by everyone passing through the Station.

Allan Stewart said at the South East Area Committee meeting earlier this month that EBPC has no control or responsibility over the infrastructure, and that Bedlington Station "has never been the prettiest of places" . That may be so, but the owners of these buildings should be shamed into repairing them, or sell them to someone who will keep them in good order and The Station might just have a chance in becoming a pretty place.

Until the residents and business owners start to take some pride in where they live, EBPC will be peeing into the wind in their efforts to brighten the place up.

Allan Stewart said at the South East Area Committee meeting earlier this month that EBPC has no control or responsibility over the infrastructure, and that Bedlington Station "has never been the prettiest of places" . That may be so, but the owners of these buildings should be shamed into repairing them, or sell them to someone who will keep them in good order and The Station might just have a chance in becoming a pretty place.

Until the residents and business owners start to take some pride in where they live, EBPC will be peeing into the wind in their efforts to brighten the place up.

The problem with owners of buildings is most could not care about the building as it is a cost for them they just want to make a large profit, however people say Bedlington is a nice looking place and Bedlington station is rubbish I disagree, Bedlington has it's share of building/sites in a state of disrepair, Tescos row (old Co Op, Spend N save, the gap site, etc.) the church hall (owned by a private developer since at least 2005) and of course Elliots Garage Gap Site all in a state, but the county council have not way of control so they can't do anything.

even more disgraceful is the Clayton Arms.

Keith, if you look at the Clayton arms from a distance the windows look as though they have been designed with a spider web effect, it not until you get close that you realies there broken and its like stepping into a war zone. My opinion anway.

The problem with owners of buildings is most could not care about the building as it is a cost for them they just want to make a large profit, however people say Bedlington is a nice looking place and Bedlington station is rubbish I disagree, Bedlington has it's share of building/sites in a state of disrepair, Tescos row (old Co Op, Spend N save, the gap site, etc.) the church hall (owned by a private developer since at least 2005) and of course Elliots Garage Gap Site all in a state, but the county council have not way of control so they can't do anything.

I see your point Adam but Bedlington is no-where near as drab as the Station. None of those bussineses have been trading most of the year and open to the public with broken windows. Pressure can be applied to make these owners clean up their act., but owners like Tesco will be treated with kid gloves. There will be a fear that Tesco could just say bollix to the lot and high tail it out of town.

Keith, if you look at the Clayton arms from a distance the windows look as though they have been designed with a spider web effect, it not until you get close that you realies there broken and its like stepping into a war zone. My opinion anway.

Pete they've been like that most of the year . It was once pointed out that the windows were mostly broken from the outside and that wasn't the fault of bad management, ...... so does that not mean someone has not been a bit miffed that they have just been chucked out. If you look some of those breaks seem to be 'head shaped' or 'fist shaped'

It will link the car park with the front of the shops, will have seats and a flowered / lawned area and will be camera'd up to discourage vandalism. It is also going to be locked at nights. As far as I know , EBPC is to pay for this work in return for (I think) 5 years rent free from Maurice Muter (who owns the land). Who is going to lock and re-open the gates each day ? What happens at the end of the lease ?. Whats to stop the landlord from taking it back when all of the hard / costly work has been done ?

I think that it is a really good thing that EBPC is taking steps to brighten the place up and creating places like this in Bedlington Station. The entrance to the car park , Khans corner has been sorted out this year. Councillor Allan Stewart has worked particularly hard along with the Parish Clerk, Ron Thornton in bulb and flower planting in the last year or so (only to be let down by NCC lack of grass cutting etc and kids nicking flowers and trying to sell them door to door) but there is still a long way to go before Bedlington Station is anywhere near as good as Bedlington itself.

It would help if the owners of building showed a modecum of pride and made an attempt to tidy them up. Jakes bar has been empty for about 12 years now and is derelict, even more disgraceful is the Clayton Arms. That is a business that is still trading and most of the downstairs windows are broken. Those two buildings alone are making the Station an eyesore, particularly the Clayton. It is the most imposing building here, seen by everyone passing through the Station.

Well spoken Keith,

and how lucky you are to have people such as Allan Stewart fighting your corner down there, It could be a lot worse, you could be stuck with the Top End Lot. Spitting Dummies Out and Throwing the Rattle out of the Pram at meetings spring to mind.

It will link the car park with the front of the shops, will have seats and a flowered / lawned area and will be camera'd up to discourage vandalism. It is also going to be locked at nights. As far as I know , EBPC is to pay for this work in return for (I think) 5 years rent free from Maurice Muter (who owns the land). Who is going to lock and re-open the gates each day ?

You raise a good point. I doubt the owner will be doing it, it's a long journey from the Channel Islands just to open/close a gate. :P

I don't think the Clayton Arms has *ever* had a full set of unbroken windows. That being said, the brickwork is high quality engineering bricks - typical for pubs in the area - and has always looked, at least presentable. I notice the Percy Arms painted their bricks white, which will make the inevitable vandalism and graffiti stand out a treat :)

I see your point Adam but Bedlington is no-where near as drab as the Station. None of those bussineses have been trading most of the year and open to the public with broken windows. Pressure can be applied to make these owners clean up their act., but owners like Tesco will be treated with kid gloves. There will be a fear that Tesco could just say bollix to the lot and high tail it out of town.

Also Keith it would help Bedlington Station if Network Rail sent some of their blokes to clean up the railway in front of the signal box must be over 100 bottles there, then the place would look a bit more tidy.

I don't think the Clayton Arms has *ever* had a full set of unbroken windows. That being said, the brickwork is high quality engineering bricks - typical for pubs in the area - and has always looked, at least presentable. I notice the Percy Arms painted their bricks white, which will make the inevitable vandalism and graffiti stand out a treat :)

Percy is not a pub anymore. Its supposed to be currently undergoing a transformation into a fish and chip restraunt, another sore point.

Percy is not a pub anymore. Its supposed to be currently undergoing a transformation into a fish and chip restraunt, another sore point.

Excellent news! It's just the thing hungry local residents have been crying out for! No longer will they have to walk the extra 25 feet to get to King's Fish & Chips. Oftentimes I've had a takeaway meal from there, but have already eaten it before reaching my home!!! Well, an extra chippy en route will certainly go some way to hold off the hunger pangs and will be an excellent boon to the community.

I hope this is merely the first stage of an ever-expanding 'Chipshop Boulevard' to span the full length of Station Road. :icecream:

Edited by mobius

Me and my bro remember going to the cinema at the Station with ma then going to Wales' fish shop afterwards. There was a tiny room at the back (up some stairs?) and a couple of tables. Now that would be a nice dream - the building of a cinema instead of a park - then everybody could benefit. Dream on.

PHOTOS COURTESY OF FOXY I BELIEVE.

post-2953-0-79424100-1356799703_thumb.jppost-2953-0-70522600-1356799717_thumb.jp

Edited by keith lockey

Excellent news! It's just the thing hungry local residents have been crying out for! No longer will they have to walk the extra 25 feet to get to King's Fish & Chips. Oftentimes I've had a takeaway meal from there, but have already eaten it before reaching my home!!! Well, an extra chippy en route will certainly go some way to hold off the hunger pangs and will be an excellent boon to the community.

I hope this is merely the first stage of an ever-expanding 'Chipshop Boulevard' to span the full length of Station Road. :icecream:

John Wales will be turning in his grave, that place is not a patch on what it was when it was his. I cant see how the restraunt would to much business as there is no parking facilities. Also, a large portion of the business came from the Percy punters, so by closing the pub to turn it into a chip restraunt has immediately lost customers (as far as I can see anyway). Edited by keith

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now