Banana Sandwich

keith lockey

Me and Maria went to Tynemouth on Friday gone. We popped into that cafe down by the beach - Crusoes? I had some chips and she ordered a sausage and mushroom sandwich. There was four yarking sausages in this thing and half a field of mushrooms. (Slight exaggeration) So that's a new one on me - sausage and mushroom.

• 2 months later...

I used to love hard-boiled egg mashed up with tomato between two slices of well-buttered bread. My mom used to call it mock crab. There was another sandwich I loved that had sliced tinned corned beef covered with sliced pickled onions. I still make them today. None of my Canadian friends has ever heard of anything like those. They think of pickled onions being those tiny white cocktail onions instead of the 'real' English ones.

The only trouble with any Sandwich that contains tomato is they were built in the morning consumed on the beach (Newbiggen) at lunch, this gave them plenty of time to go soggy

• 2 months later...

In Canny lasses birthday post she mentions wood for the burner and that to me means - open fire and REAL toast. Not grilled or electric toasted but a slice of bread on a toasting fork over real flames. The 1950's Rayburn stoves installed in all the house in Coquetadle Place were ideal for real toast. Also remember the large black ranges that were in the houses in the Barrington pit rows and I would assume were just as good. Can't find a picture of what was installed in Coquestdale, Rayburn with the black chimney pipe, oven and fire place (with door) but this one is similar:-

post-3031-0-10201300-1389793386_thumb.jp

An absolutely simple pleasure on a cold day. The whole family, 6 of us, would sit around the oven. Me dad toasting and me mam buttering. We could go through a whole loaf in half an hour and all be fed, warmed and have 'corned-beef' features from sitting to close to the fire.

If the bread was too soft and would curl around the toasting fork when the first side was toasted the rest of the bread to be used would be placed on the warm oven shelf, for just a few seconds, to dry it out slightly and prevent the slice from curling up too much. 

When the father-in-law's, Cramlington, council house was upgraded from coal to gas (approx 1990) we had a real toast party on the coal fire's last day. The kids just thought we were mad but we knew it would probably be out last taste of real toast.

As we are going back to the future.

Can anyone mind getting the last sugar out of the bag , or the last drops of milk.

My dad reckoned to stir the pot of tea with a small bit of sugar. Not sure if it was to release the flavour or make it stronger. I guess both apply.

Money saving tips from the old gits /sorry children of the sixties!

Who would believe that we can remember rationing.

National Health Orange Juice would be replaced by water

• 2 weeks later...

Got to have suger on a nanna sandwich, golden syrup on bread and butter. My favourite had to be crisp and pickled onion sandwiches. Don't think I could eat them now too many calories, and i think I'd probably be sick.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now