Doomsday

keith lockey

How come no one saw the Russian meteorite coming - ie scientists and astronomers!! It just shows you we have no effective deterent or warning system against possible extinction level events from space rocks. That ruddy thing was on top of us and not one organization warned the populace. What if that had been the size of Manhattan or the Isle of White! Russia could have had another Tunguska. And people laugh at things like the Mayan Prophecy. To be honest folks, I think we just dodged a bullet. And there are thousands of others out there.

It's a law of nature - you never see the BIG event coming! Humans prattle on about largely inconsequential things (so called global warming; holes in ozone layer; horse meat; etc), but nature smiles and does its own thing.

A lesson to the anti-nuclear/anti-progress lobby. They make a song and dance about inconsequential levels of radiation, yet nature bombards us with it constantly, and sets off the equivalent of a nuke over our heads without any warning. One day it will be more than an odd few tons of rock and poof - we'll all go the way of the dinosaurs! So they'd better start their protest campaign agin nature right now. Though they would do well to note that the only way we will ever have a tiny chance of escaping is if we intelligently pursue a nuclear future.

• Like 1

Thinking along the same lines Keef2 although the news report I saw said it had been tracked for up to a year.

Was that not the near-miss asteroid, Malcolm? I know they were tracking that, but the Russian meteorite took everyone by surprise. I read somewhere that it was too small to track - or to be seen approaching. I've just finished reading a book called THE MARS MYSTERY by Graham Hancock and it dealt with comets, meteorites and asteroids. It is quite frightening to realise how vulnerable our blue world is to space rocks.

Was that not the near-miss asteroid, Malcolm? I know they were tracking that, but the Russian meteorite took everyone by surprise. I read somewhere that it was too small to track - or to be seen approaching. I've just finished reading a book called THE MARS MYSTERY by Graham Hancock and it dealt with comets, meteorites and asteroids. It is quite frightening to realise how vulnerable our blue world is to space rocks.

Space rocks, TELSTAR ,Tornadoes --- VENUS in blue jeans , Jimmy Clanton ----- ROCKET man , Elton John ---- MOON river , er thingumy ------ Under the MOON of love , Showaddywaddy -- as well as all of Bowies efforts

Back in 1986 I was working construction at the Philadelphia North East airport we were adding a building at the base of the control tower to train air traffic controllers, we had to dig over 30 Feet down through clay to reach bedrock and pour the concrete footings, I was in the trench nearest the tower when I saw a dark streak in the clay from the surface, at about 25 feet a hard chunk was sticking out so I got closer and pried it loose with my claw hammer, it was very heavy and mettalic, oval shape and about the size of a pancake, about 2 inches thick and kind of curved inward. a sledge hammer could not put a dent in it. it had a bubbly kind of surface.

I cleaned it up and took it home where it sat on my porch for years as a doorstop until my son Jonathan needed something for his Science fair at school so he took the rock.

It sits in the science class to this day in a glass case, and they Identified it at Penn state university as a Meteorite, They think I donated it to the school which I suppose I did but they valued it at over $10,000.00 !!!!!

Moral...........Easy Come Easy Go

Back in 1986 I was working construction at the Philadelphia North East airport we were adding a building at the base of the control tower to train air traffic controllers, we had to dig over 30 Feet down through clay to reach bedrock and pour the concrete footings, I was in the trench nearest the tower when I saw a dark streak in the clay from the surface, at about 25 feet a hard chunk was sticking out so I got closer and pried it loose with my claw hammer, it was very heavy and mettalic, oval shape and about the size of a pancake, about 2 inches thick and kind of curved inward. a sledge hammer could not put a dent in it. it had a bubbly kind of surface.

I cleaned it up and took it home where it sat on my porch for years as a doorstop until my son Jonathan needed something for his Science fair at school so he took the rock.

It sits in the science class to this day in a glass case, and they Identified it at Penn state university as a Meteorite, They think I donated it to the school which I suppose I did but they valued it at over $10,000.00 !!!!!

Moral...........Easy Come Easy Go

That's truly amazing, Mickeypotts,! I wish I had your resolve, because I think I would have gone on a bender for the rest of my life. Great story.

• 2 months later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now