Old Weir And Ruined Bridge On River Blyth

angechica

Walked today from the Humford Mill car park to the weir upstream from there along the north bank of the River Blyth. There is a ruined bridge just before the weir. Does anyone know anything about the history of the weir and the bridge as I have drawn a blank. It looks like the bridge carried pipes across the river. There is plenty written about the ironworks but of course that is much further downstream. I like this section of the river and often wonder why not many people use it when it is so much prettier than Plessey Woods. it is especially pretty at this time of year. I know the riverside path is not marked as a a public right of way on any map. TIA for any info.

IIRC there was a reservoir situated at the top of the bank there and humford mill park itself was a water pumping station. There was lots of quarrying in that section of the woods and you can see the evidence of that all the way along the river although much is overgrown.

Walked today from the Humford Mill car park to the weir upstream from there along the north bank of the River Blyth. There is a ruined bridge just before the weir. Does anyone know anything about the history of the weir and the bridge as I have drawn a blank. It looks like the bridge carried pipes across the river. There is plenty written about the ironworks but of course that is much further downstream. I like this section of the river and often wonder why not many people use it when it is so much prettier than Plessey Woods. it is especially pretty at this time of year. I know the riverside path is not marked as a a public right of way on any map. TIA for any info.

Might have something to do with the Bebside sewerage works! :D

If you are talking about what I think you are, it was just to support utility pipes and not an actual bridge. Probs built by Tynemouth Water - the original water authority.

In the 60s we used to go swimming in the river at the weir (we called it The Dam). There was an overhanging tree from which a rope hung down, we'd grab the rope and clamber up the bank then jump to swing out over the river and then let go, splashing into the deep water. The downstream side of The Dam was sloping and covered with green slime but it made a great water slide. I recall there were some sluices or races made from concrete beside The Dam (on the Bedders side) going to some old tumbled-down buildings but all this stuff was completely overgrown so it wasn't obvious to use what it was all for.

Near The Dam (I now can't remember if it was upstream or downstream of The Dam) was a big black pipe, maybe 2'6" or bigger in dia, crossing over the river; it was supported by an iron framework. We would run along this as a dare, speeds ever increasing. I remember there were radial spikes at each end to prevent access but we swung around these. GGG is spot-on again about the pipe but I have no way of knowing if it was a water main or sewerage.

If you follow the blyth river to its source above Ponteland near the airport you will see all the fields that have been discharging pesticides and fertilizers along the way into our lovely little stream, the fish never seemed to mind and we all swam in it and remember all the DDT that killed most of our wildlife for decades, I never saw a fox or a Magpie that I can remember when I was young but they are fine now so it seems.

If you Google map the river and follow it upstream you can see some buildings that are on fire near the bank, anyone know what that might be??

Is this the bridge you are talking about?

post-2847-0-46557300-1352238599_thumb.jp

post-2847-0-53734500-1352238633_thumb.jp

post-2847-0-51746600-1352238666_thumb.jp

If so it is part of the old waterworks as if you look while walking down the woods you see a big pipe (the remains of it) all the way to the "bridge"

Hey Keef 1 and 2, I expect we see you on Dec 1st at the coffee morning at the Station..................see announcements.

Caribbean Night at the top end and coffee morning at the Station.

I will certainly attempt to. I fancy the lumbago ...er...limbo dancing but I'm not wearing dreadlocks! There's nowt more ridiculous than a white guy in dreadlocks. (I saw the Salvation Army venue, but what's this Station one, I'll check announcements again?) Can I come as Yosemite Sam?

Sorry Keef1 no not free but at 50p a cup well worth it. Don't quote me on the price please but I am pretty sure that was what was suggested.

Friends of Gallagher Park have a multitude of all sorts of prizes to get through so it will be a good time to bring the kids along too.

All monies raised goes straight into the Gallagher Park fighting fund.

Sorry Keef1 no not free but at 50p a cup well worth it. Don't quote me on the price please but I am pretty sure that was what was suggested.

Friends of Gallagher Park have a multitude of all sorts of prizes to get through so it will be a good time to bring the kids along too.

All monies raised goes straight into the Gallagher Park fighting fund.

Thinking you might of stuck your hand in your pocket like, Ah well, the rumors are

right, Malcolm Robinson is so tight , he only breathes in !!!

Edited by keith

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now