Yes Keith I've been watching it, right now they are doing a space walk to make some repairs, at 17,500 mph! I used to like watching the shuttles getting closer and closer before linking up.
We have very little or almost no light pollution here in GC. go a couple of miles out of town and there is none!

This chart says you can see it again tonight.

http://www.meteorwatch.org/uk-iss-passes-december-2013.html

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I saw it it was 4.25pm (GMT). The sky was clear and I could see it with the naked eye. To be honest, Vic i thought it was a plane coming in. Then I realised the time and location was right. I trained my binoculars on it but just got a whirling orange spiral (!!!) so I just observed it with my naked eye. Then the clouds came over and it poured down.But what a Sight!!

• 3 months later...

H G. Wells was right!!! Soon the motherships will arrive. Keep watching the skies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saOSXTrpvWk

'Curiosity' got the better of me so I checked it out!

Spoke to Kimberley, currently being explored on Mars,  and she reckons it is the Australian rover using a Clas Holsen Halogen 60w bayonet fitting candle bulb.

However  Melissa Rice of the California Institute of Technology said in a release.

'An artificial light source was seen this week in this NASA photo which shows light shining upward from the ground.

This could indicate there is intelligent life below the ground and uses light as we do.

This is not a glare from the sun, not is it an artifact of the photo process.

Look closely at the bottom of the light.

It has a very flat surface giving us 100 per cent indication it is from the surface.

Ben Biggs, editor of All About Space magazine, said: "While the "light" is as yet unexplained, it's quite a leap to assume that it has an intelligent source.

Patrick Moore's protégé had no idea :-

post-3031-0-36083100-1397053700_thumb.jp

However a check with Nasa and they say  the bright spot is not that unusual.

Curiosly the Mars rover takes images using two cameras, one in its right eye and the other in its left.

While the image from the right eye shows this bright spot, the same image from the left eye does not.

Nasa says:-

'If you do a little research, you can see that the light is not in the left-Navcam image that was taken at the exact same moment (see that image below). Several imaging experts agree this is a cosmic ray hit, and the fact that it's in one 'eye' but not the other means it's an imaging artifact and not something in the terrain on Mars shooting out a beam of light.'

"The public can afford to speculate wildly but Nasa is an organisation internationally renowned for credible science.

I have therefore delayed the scrambling of the Eggy Shuttle, but it is poised, on the roof, ready.

post-3031-0-96689200-1397053721_thumb.jp

Mars is at its closest to Earth tonight, so we all know what that means - the invasion is imminent. That light on Mars was just the beginning, the machines will be heading our way soon, it will be the rout of civilization, the massacre of mankind.

post-2953-0-32490200-1397485211_thumb.jppost-2953-0-07719600-1397485216_thumb.jp

Edited by keith lockey

Mars is at its closest to Earth tonight, so we all know what that means - the invasion is imminent. That light on Mars was just the beginning, the machines will be heading our way soon, it will be the rout of civilization, the massacre of mankind.

attachicon.gif1953.jpgattachicon.gifTripod 2005.jpg

Well, that's the end of that then. Can I offer you a lift to a different universe Keith? Malcolm is fueling the eggy shuttle! 

• 6 months later...

What a warm glow the Rosetta Mission has given me with the little Philae lander touching down on that distant comet;  it reminded me very much of the cutting edge endeavours of the Ruski and Yankee space programmes back in the 60s. 

Euro co-operation at its finest.  Conceived over ten years ago in a 'time of plenty and partnership' I doubt such ambitions would now be allowed to flourish in our current climate of spite, bile, jealousy, envy and zenophobia (and that's just the Daily Mail Hate).

Euro co-operation at its finest.  Conceived over ten years ago in a 'time of plenty and partnership' I doubt such ambitions would now be allowed to flourish in our current climate of spite, bile, jealousy, envy and zenophobia (and that's just the Daily Mail Hate).

There was no international cooperation in space before the world's largest cartel got in on the act.  And look, there have been no wars in our neck of the woods either - if you ignore mass genocide in the Balkans, and the little local difficulty the expansionist EU has stirred up in Ukraine.  A club that is defo worth the ever-climbing mega one-way entry fee - having our bananas compulsulary straightened; our country overrun by immigrants; and our centuries-old law subverted - even though it was sold to us on a blatant lie from the political classes, and continues on the basis of multiple subterfuges!

Of course a cynic might say that: for a mega state that is now putting together its first centrally commanded military force, having all the very best ingredients for spacewars readily at hand is a mighty subtle move. Ever closer union - mein herr!  It's clear that those voices-off warning of the next round of history repeating itself - like the DM - are simply good old-fashioned war mongers, who, in the course of history, are always proven wrong! We always learn the lessons of history (over and over again). Peace in our time!

I wrote: ".... in our current climate of spite, bile, jealousy, envy and zenophobia ..."

I rest my case!

I suppose the Rosetta Missions could be described as a metaphor for what's happenning in Europe.  Launched with a feeling of hope and expectation, delivered much enlightenment, but then a dark, cold shadow befell our heroic experiment.  Perhaps in the future, when the chilly vail disappears and a new bright light shines on our endeavours, will we see our venture succeed.

Anyway, Philae found 'little green men' up there.  She probed with her digit and discovered organic molecules on the surface. 

So we now know all about the Origins of Ukip, a primeval organism slithering around on a barren rock whilst hurtling through the Cosmos.  Many of us have always thought that there was, 'something not of this World' about Nigel ... the swivelling bugeyes, the prehensile lips and the barbed tongue.

Edited by Symptoms

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now