You're quite right Brett. The old boy did have some distasteful views on immigration ... that we were being "swamped by parasites" and a dislike of the Germans ... "A Kraut is a Kraut is a Kraut. And the only good Kraut is a dead Kraut." He was a product of his time and held views fairly common to many of a similar age (and some who previously inhabited this place).

On the plus side he was the finance minister for the Monster Raving Loony Party and lied about his age to get into the wartime RAF and flew with Bomber Command as a navigator. I've learned quite a bit about the old boy today after reading a number of his obituaries.

But please, please, please don't let him be named by Operation Yewtree.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I took these photos at about 2pm today. (Sunday 23 Dec) This 'tube' cloud went straight across the sky from east-west / west-east. It was massive and resembled a pipeline. I had to take it from my bedroom window to get the best shot and those vertical shiimering lights are window reflection - net curtains actually. But the cloud was weird.

post-2953-0-25628600-1356279839_thumb.jppost-2953-0-45557600-1356279864_thumb.jppost-2953-0-89274700-1356279872_thumb.jp

Edited by keith lockey

I took these photos at about 2pm today. (Sunday 23 Dec) This 'tube' cloud went straight across the sky from east-west / west-east. It was massive and resembled a pipeline. I had to take it from my bedroom window to get the best shot and those vertical shiimering lights are window reflection - net curtains actually. But the cloud was weird.

post-2953-0-25628600-1356279839_thumb.jppost-2953-0-45557600-1356279864_thumb.jppost-2953-0-89274700-1356279872_thumb.jp

I saw said cloud, too, and thought, that's a nice cloud, that is.

You're quite right Brett. The old boy did have some distasteful views on immigration ... that we were being "swamped by parasites" and a dislike of the Germans ... "A Kraut is a Kraut is a Kraut. And the only good Kraut is a dead Kraut." He was a product of his time and held views fairly common to many of a similar age (and some who previously inhabited this place)...

Ah, saved by the rider. For a few short seconds I thought you'd been reading the New Statesman again Sym. Not only did that PC mob fail to explain the Kraut thing in proper context, but they were trying to mark him down in history with the ultimate non-PC insult: a BNP "sympathiser". He was not! They've been forced to excise that particular slur. He was a patriot. Now that might be unfashionable, but it isn't illegal - quite yet!

No worries on the "Yewtree" thing - I guess he'd likely be leading the "popular press" lynch mob, and advocating a rapid surgical solution.

Cor Blimey GGG - "saved by the rider" my ar*e; as you know I'm the model of reason and fairness here. I loved the old boy and, like you, didn't like the hatched-job some in the press did to him ... but, heh - what do we expect from the scribblers.

Been reading The Staggers since I was in the Sixth Form ... it was a freebie in the school library along with Stern, Paris Match, and of course my beloved Guardian. Though never a member of the CP I shared a flat in London with a girl who was so often read her copy of Marxism Today and now also read Private Eye & The Spectator so the brain food diet I reckon is balanced. As an obviously widely-read man (woman?) yourself I'm sure you'll agree that being so lends a certainty, in our own eyes at least, to what we write or say.

With regards to the late Sir Patrick, I watched the Sky at Night Special on Iplayer the other night and what heartened me was the amount of people who came forward and talked about his genorosity. Heather Couper the astronomer was one and said he would answer letters personally. I read 80 Not Out and found him very funny, but he was British and eccentric and outspoken on many issues - but people loved him for it. I miss him and the show already.

• 3 weeks later...

With regards to the late Sir Patrick, I watched the Sky at Night Special on Iplayer the other night and what heartened me was the amount of people who came forward and talked about his genorosity. Heather Couper the astronomer was one and said he would answer letters personally. I read 80 Not Out and found him very funny, but he was British and eccentric and outspoken on many issues - but people loved him for it. I miss him and the show already.

A chance to see his very last appearance on this month's program, recorded just before he died. That he had no intention of ever stopping is evident from him trailing February's program. :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk..._for_the_Stars/

Thanks for posting that link, Threegee. I sat and watched it and could feel the tears welling up. It was actually one of the better shows, I thought, because it brought together everything Sir Patrick was trying to establish - that astronomy is for everyone. It was great to see newcomers struggling with the rudiments of telescopes. Really brilliant, and I thought the presenters were first class. But I still maintain astronomy is an expensive hobby/pastime as one of the girls said when she looked through a more expensive telescope and saw the difference in clarity. One of these days...when I win the lottery.

. But I still maintain astronomy is an expensive hobby/pastime as one of the girls said when she looked through a more expensive telescope and saw the difference in clarity. One of these days...when I win the lottery.

Keith,

My mate recently bought a telescope from a guy for £200. When he got it home it was useless, think he must have seen him Coming :devil:

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now