• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE.

It's 19.11 Thursday night 2012.

I've just focused on Jupiter and there seems to be a string of lights to the upper right of Jupiter- a bit like the Shoemaker-Levy 9 event. I don't think it is glare on my 12 X 50's but it is weird. Surely I can't see the moons with my bins, Symptoms?

Merc', Jupiter is on the other side of the Moon tonight - top right as you look at it.

Funny; I thought Jupiter was bigger than the moon. Clearly not. I've been misled all my life.

UPDATE.

It's 19.11 Thursday night 2012.

I've just focused on Jupiter and there seems to be a string of lights to the upper right of Jupiter- a bit like the Shoemaker-Levy 9 event. I don't think it is glare on my 12 X 50's but it is weird. Surely I can't see the moons with my bins, Symptoms?

Yes you can! At least in clearer climes, and with budget (£10-20) binoculars too. They appear as tiny pinpoints of light - I saw at least three of them last year.

If you have a decent phone there is Google Sky Map which is really good for identifying such information Keith.

https://play.google....stardroid&hl=en

Download and install it to your phone then you hold your phone up in the direction you are looking and it identifies what it is that you are looking at.

Better than Google Sky Map is SkEye, and it's also a freebie. I've uninstalled the Google one as SkEye is so much better. It's aimed at people owning telescopes, as a star finder, but I find it pretty useful stand-alone. If you don't have a "droid" you are missing out on life, and budget or s/h smartphones are little more expensive than a better quality dumb phone.

Yes you can! At least in clearer climes, and with budget (£10-20) binoculars too. They appear as tiny pinpoints of light - I saw at least three of them last year.

Thank you so much, Threegee. There were exactly three 'pearls' of light that I could see last night. I am over the moon, if you excuse the pun. Now I'm going to try to find out which ones they are.

Edited by keith lockey

So, this Jupiter, it's a God, right, up there in the sky?

Now Merc', sit down and have some herbal tea and I'll try to explain.

Jupiter the planet - post-2953-0-98594500-1354305114_thumb.jp

Jupiter the Roman God - post-2953-0-89998000-1354305161_thumb.jp

Now spot the difference - and I don't mean red spot the difference.

One is a gaseous giant and the other is a mythical being. (Mind you he might have had trouble with gas (flatulence) but I'm not about to bring that up with him in case he sends down a thunderbolt.)

PS - how did Venus get into those blue jeans?

Yep Keith, you're right about him being a hero to some. It was his enthusiasm for the subject that caused me to catch the bug when I was a child; I continue to watch Sky at Night to this day ... R.I.P.

I got rid of my TV two years ago and the Sky at Night was one of the things I missed most - but you can get it with the monthly mag and can watch it on Iplayer. It will be interesting to see what becomes of the programe now. (The longest running at that.)

I got rid of my TV two years ago and the Sky at Night was one of the things I missed most - but you can get it with the monthly mag and can watch it on Iplayer. It will be interesting to see what becomes of the programe now. (The longest running at that.)

I think Patrick intended Chris Lintott take over, and certainly relied on him a lot since his stroke. There will surely be several others that will happily stand in for now, so little likelihood the program will end.

I think Patrick intended Chris Lintott take over, and certainly relied on him a lot since his stroke. There will surely be several others that will happily stand in for now, so little likelihood the program will end.

I hope they keep Pete and Paul on. They are a good double act.

Edited by keith lockey

Apparently Patrick Moore was a terrible racist and sexist but he opened up the doors for the next generation of astronomers, both professional and amateur.

I first remember him from Games Master however with no idea what The Sky At Night was at my tiny young age.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now