Marley Family

Jeffgilbert

I got my English A level at the age of Forty, at the High School, and Bill was my evening class teacher. We started at 7pm and the heating timer went off at the same time, so we had to sit with coats and gloves on during the class. Me and Bill were the only ones to go for a pint that Christmas - we went to the Noerthumberland Arms. Lovely chap, you always felt at ease with him.

• 2 months later...

Bill's mum Joan is still with us, but Bill does not drink in the Sun Inn anymore and he has always liked a large helping when i comes to bait. (He is my 2nd Cousin or something like that)

Just to inform everyone, I have just learnt that Joan Marley died peacefully last night. I have offered my sincere condolences to the family.

My condolences to the family.

I did not know of the older generations, the teachers, but when you get back to researching the family I would give Bedlington Cricket Club a call. I see they have reformed and have a web site http://bedlingtoncc.co.uk/ . My memories of them is that I used to go out with a Hemsted in the late 60's and I recall the Hemsted's; Marley's; Straker's & Pearson's were all either related or extremely good friends. The current reformation of the club shows these names are still involved :-

President – Bill Marley

Chairman – Malcolm Straker

Committee – Elected officials plus Malcolm Humble, Malcolm Hemsted, Colin Campbell, Ian Campbell, Nick Carr, Lindsey Douglas.

The playing facilities are located….

Hirst Head, Bedlington, Northumberland, NE22 5QH ….this is not a postal address

http://bedlington.play-cricket.com/home/home.asp Play Cricket

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bedlington-Cricket-Club/14878136250 Facebook

https://twitter.com/Bedlingtoncc Twitter

Edited by Eggy1948

My condolences to the family.

I did not know of the older generations, the teachers, but when you get back to researching the family I would give Bedlington Cricket Club a call. I see they have reformed and have a web site http://bedlingtoncc.co.uk/ . My memories of them is that I used to go out with a Hemsted in the late 60's and I recall the Hemsted's; Marley's; Straker's & Pearson's were all either related or extremely good friends. The current reformation of the club shows these names are still involved :-

President – Bill Marley

Chairman – Malcolm Straker

Committee – Elected officials plus Malcolm Humble, Malcolm Hemsted, Colin Campbell, Ian Campbell, Nick Carr, Lindsey Douglas.

Friday - Three Horse Shoes my mate, who used to play cricket for Cramlington in the 60s thru to the -80s jumped straight in when I said 'Marley' and he said - Bill; Teacher; lived down Humford; played for Bedlington CC, smashing bloke. So looks like the links are there at the reformed Bedlington CC.

p.s. and he still has a dustbin lid that he used in the back street at East Cramlington.

Edited by Eggy1948

• 2 months later...

Hi,

My name is Amy Marley. I am actually just using my partners account on here for now as mine is not working. My Grandad was Wilf Marley and Grandma was Joan (who very sadly passed away on the 28th May.) Everyone who knows the Marley's will well know that Joan and Wilf had 6 children.....my dad is Christopher John Marley (always known as John Marley to most). My uncle's are Billy, Stewart, duncan and Michael Marley and my Aunty is Ann (now called Ann Pattison).

I do believe that whilst searching my family tree we did come across the names Jobson and also Joseph Marley (I may be wrong but i am sure there was a daughter and wife of Joseph called Martha).

I can give you contact numbers.

Amy

• 3 months later...

Wilf Marley did indeed manage Humford Mill bath, he married Joan Reed who was a great friend of my sister Joan.

The teacher at Westridge when I was there was George Marley, and he was our form master for the Upper Remove, I have the class photo from 1957 with George Marley in the front row,

George Marley was the son of the butcher who 's shop was down near Tot Hayes the chemist, my father used to be the messenger boy for the shop.

Norman,just to try and establish who you are,discreetly,was Dave Lees your mate in the upper remove,who they named the Lees trophy after?[and you wouldn't have a ginger-haired Son called David?....an old workmate of mine....]

I was in the Upper Remove class,[a daft name i always thought!],and I remember Mr Marley very well indeed!

Short and stocky,close curly hair,and didn't need to raise his voice to command attention.

We put the Shakespeare "Julius Caesar" play on,and He directed it.

It was a great success,to the parents and general public who attended the evening production.

I last saw him in St Cuthbert's church,a few years ago,as we were coming up the aisle,at the end of a concert,he was in front of me,and I knew him straight away by his voice,before even seeing him face-on!![This is about 50 years after leaving school!!]

I spoke to him,and he was very nice in his manner,and I thanked him belatedly,for making a man out me...as you do....

I would love to see the photo of the class of 1957.

Malcolm Straker I knew very well,as an ex-nephew in-law,but haven't seen for years.

Ian Cambell,should be on that class photo,if it is the same lad, who was cricket mad,and good at it,even in 1957!!

If anyone knew of the bartender-doorkeeper at the cricket club,over the last twenty years at least,they would know how

i came to have my present avatar!!!

Wilma was given to me by Keith Cooney[deceased..R.I.P.],who was that same guy![we were only 15 years old young miners in 1959 at the time!!]

The Manager's clerk at Choppington high pit was called Jimmy Marley.

Noo,thinking back,a always thought my form teacher in the upper remove was called Bill,but you say it was George....

Please post the pic!

Did Malcolm Humble originally live at Hollymount Square as a young child...?...if so,i know him very well,but not seen him for a year or two either...real nice family,the Humbles.

If any of the commitee members are on this forum,then I extend my long lost greetings to those of you that I knew,but haven't seen for years,that you might not know me now...all except Malcolm Straker...who SHOULD remember me!!

Cheers,!!

Bill.

Didn't realise I have repeated my stories from the previous page,it's a while since I have been on!

I said previously that I saw Mr Marley at a funeral,in St Cuthbert's church,but remembered now that it was a concert we were at.

I have a thin booklet called.."The pit village and the store",given to me by a very good old neighbour who is now deceased [R.I.P.]

It might be available in the library..it's interesting!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

HPW, is that by Linda McCullough Thew ? if it is its cracking book.

Sure is John,it was given to me by my dear old friend and nieghbour,Ada Fearon,[deceased R.I.P. Ada],and so has great sentimental value now.

• 4 weeks later...

Wilf marleys uncle lived next door to me at Millbank place his name was Kit his rife was called meggie there son was called Arnold

Who was a bus conductedr for United buses,he also had another uncle called Ross who drove the buses for Jordons..

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now