Vic Patterson Should Remember This

Yes I fondly remember the "Sir Fon†I never was a sea farer! but do remember the paddle tug boats, the "Cowpen†dredger and the many passenger liners, aircraft carriers, submarines on their way to Bolkowâ€s.

The only boats I travelled on were the two ferries, the chain ferry (on my way to work as apprentice at the power station) and the low ferry we used to go and pick wilik's.

Oh! and the Polish and Dutch fishing boats, used to buy "tabs" from them!

Yes I fondly remember the "Sir Fon” I never was a sea farer! but do remember the paddle tug boats, the "Cowpen” dredger and the many passenger liners, aircraft carriers, submarines on their way to Bolkow”s.

The only boats I travelled on were the two ferries, the chain ferry (on my way to work as apprentice at the power station) and the low ferry we used to go and pick wilik's.

Oh! and the Polish and Dutch fishing boats, used to buy "tabs" from them!

Old Postcard and Photo.

post-2205-0-30045200-1350985721_thumb.jp

• 2 years later...

Commonly refferred to as "The Ash Boat!" ....that was the Sir Fon!...mind he  did a few thoosand miles oot at sea....!

The old-fashioned bucket-dredger was a welcome sight an aal!,until the modern one came alang wi a modified coal-cutting disc-head,and a slurry suction pipe....THAT buggered up aal the fish-feeding beds in the river,ti put thi Alcan unloading berth there.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now