Morpeth Floods Again

Brett

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2012/09/26/flood-chaos-strikes-morpeth-yet-again-gallery-61634-31907234/

Morpeth flooded again 4 years on.

3 years for any flood defenses seems a bit late after 2 floods in as many years. People will have just started getting their lives back in order. Insurance companies dragging their feet and they have to go through it all again.

Such a shame

http://www.journalli...61634-31907234/

Morpeth flooded again 4 years on.

3 years for any flood defenses seems a bit late after 2 floods in as many years. People will have just started getting their lives back in order. Insurance companies dragging their feet and they have to go through it all again.

Such a shame

Totally agree with you Brett (and ...... cough,..... chowk........ Malcolm). What I can't understand is , you may have heard the same, on both Tyne Tees news and Look North, both reporters stated that the river Wansbeck in Morpeth is tidal. Now correct me if I am wrong, there is a dam about a quarter of a mile upstream from the river mouth. Surely the river will only be tidal as far as the dam so there will be no tidal affect anywhere near Morpeth.

Well in my opinion as the 2008 flood was at the time reported as "unprecedented" I think they thought lightning will never strike twice so we will talk the talk and hope it won,t......... Screw the poor individuals who live there......... and no one can tell me it takes 4 years to decide how to stop the town flooding and what really galled me was our local MP blaming this government (I,m no fan of the coalition)however HE obviously has,nt got the common sense to realise Labour were in power in 2008 so why did they not get it sorted out then?

ever

Well in my opinion as the 2008 flood was at the time reported as "unprecedented" I think they thought lightning will never strike twice so we will talk the talk and hope it won,t......... Screw the poor individuals who live there......... and no one can tell me it takes 4 years to decide how to stop the town flooding and what really galled me was our local MP blaming this government (I,m no fan of the coalition)however HE obviously has,nt got the common sense to realise Labour were in power in 2008 so why did they not get it sorted out then?

Everyone plays the blame game not just MP's.

How about opening up some old pit shafts and diverting the water down there???

1) Dangerous because some idiot would try going down one and end up killing themselves.

2) Environmentally unfriendly all the water from the shaft would rise and flood more areas with highly acidic and toxic water.

3) Gases a open shaft with no water in would cause a build up of highly toxic and flammable gases.

4) Government policy they would not reopen a mine shaft for fear somebody buys the area sticks headgear up and starts mining coal :thumbsup: .

ever

Everyone plays the blame game not just MP's.

I was quoting fact Adam it was quoted in 2008 my point was his selective memory.

And I do feel very sorry for the folks affected by the floods. But I do think now they will make all efforts to try to avoid it occuring again.

I wonder if he will go on telly and applaude this lot for sorting it out....... :whistle:

Come on everybody ... who we kidding?

Who bears the cost of flood defense? National and Regional government (or their agencies)? Belt-tightening (and a host of other terms), all euphemisms used by the ruling elite to inflict massive cuts on ordinary folks, is the cause of little or no defensive measures being taken.

Some ex-Bullingdon Club sh*t, now working in the City insurance sector, thought what a money-making wheeze it would be to fleece ordinary folks by jacking-up their premiums ("Do you live within 1 mile of a river?" - well that'll cost you 5 times last years premium!). Then, just imagine the scene in some exclusive gentleman's club in Mayfair ... the City shi*t, large Chivas Regal in hand, leans over to some toff in Government (also a Lloyds Name probably but is keeping it out of the Members Register) and floats the get rick quick scheme.

You know I'm right.

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now