Major Security Hole In Java

threegee

This one seems VERY serious, and you are doubtless going to hear a lot more about it when the media gets hold of the news:

http://www.theregist..._block_exploit/

The recommendation is to disable Java on your Windows computers right now! Instructions for Firefox are here. Other browsers will have a similar mechanism for disabling it.

post-2-0-12274100-1346231828_thumb.jpg

Update: Someone asked me how to disable Java in MS Internet Explorer. See Here

...except...

...the security certificate on the copy my computer has downloaded here has already expired! It says expiry ‎15 ‎July ‎2012 01:59:59! Really really bright Sun Microsystems, you send out a highly critical update to hundreds of millions of people, and sign it with a duff certificate! :rolleyes:

If other things had the same level of quality control as software I'd be retiring to a dessert island, or finding a deserted mountain top somewhere in Patagonia. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

...and again!

Department of Homeland Security: Disable Java 'Unless It Is Absolutely Necessary'

Only about 5 months behind the curve, but the security services get there eventually! :)

Java 7 Update 10 and earlier contain an unspecified vulnerability that can allow a remote, unauthenticated attacker to execute arbitrary code on a vulnerable system. This and previous Java vulnerabilities have been widely targeted by attackers, and new Java vulnerabilities are likely to be discovered.

Oracle has not answered repeated requests for comment.

Apple no longer ships its machines with Java enabled by default

There is now even a warning in the Firefox Add-in Manager: post-2-0-06504400-1358287718_thumb.jpg

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now