A New F1 Website....

To the small percentage of you who enjoy Formula One and motor sport in general, it may interest you that I have been asked to contribute to a new website, due to launch in a couple of weeks time. http://www.pitlanemagazine.com is not going to be a news-based site, but one that is feature-led. We will be running interviews with figures from the sport, past and present, as well as opinion based articles, insight pieces, behind the scenes stuff and general historical features (for which yours truly will be responsible). It is a brave new venture that looks extremely promising, and I am honoured to have been asked to contribute, the Editor having cited my work elsewhere as being inspirational in his quest to get the site up and running.

I am aware it has limited appeal, although there are millions of fans out there, but for the record, my first assignment is to interview none other than Sir Jackie Stewart, an arrangement I believe shows the commitment and potential the editorial team have for the future. I shall let you know when things are up and running!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Vic! The interview went very well, and I now have a couple of further assignments. The magazine will be launching before the next Grand Prix in Belgium, and the first edition will feature some interesting stuff. I shall keep you posted!

• 2 weeks later...

Just had confirmation we launch August 30th; please pay us a visit, should motor sport insight and history be Your Sort of Thing!

We are live! http://www.pitlanemagazine.com/magazine/ edition number one published today; I'm a little dubious about the quality of a couple of the entries, a view that will be put to the editor, but overall some very nice content: interviews with Sir Jackie Stewart (by yours truly..), Alan Jones, and Derek Warwick among others; a 'half term' report on F1 2012; some nice opinion pieces - a decent opening issue. Please visit, read, comment and enjoy!

On the subject of F1 websites, it's perhaps a good thing they have moved on! Way back in the 1990's we found ourselves on the same server as the original UK F1 website hosted out of Yorkshire. Poking around on the machine I was flabbergasted to find that our hosting account had complete read/write access to all their files! Could have been interesting, but for some reason we soon moved on to another hosting company! :D

I have shared your link in the F1 thread on another forum MercuryG. Hopefully this should generate some interest for you ;)

Thank you, much appreciated.

Well, in the first few days of publication the site apparently had over 15,000 unique visitors, a pretty good figure for a start-up with limited publicity so far. I am a little disappointed with the quality of a few of the features, but think the Ed did his best with what he had to work with. Episode 2 should be a major improvement. It's nice, for once, to be paid for writing about something I enjoy, as opposed to the usual PPI claims, legal services, product descriptions and lingerie. Not that I don't enjoy lingerie. On someone else, of course. Female, naturally.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now