You Just Can't Get The Staff These Daze!

threegee

Especially if you are the BBC!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-19035426

Firstly, it quite obviously wasn't a barbecue. Secondly, it quite obviously wasn't empty!

And the police response is little better: "Det Con Rachel Jackson said officers were treating the man's death as unexplained."

Explanation: Boom!

Especially if you are the BBC!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...dshire-19035426

Firstly, it quite obviously wasn't a barbecue. Secondly, it quite obviously wasn't empty!

And the police response is little better: "Det Con Rachel Jackson said officers were treating the man's death as unexplained."

Explanation: Boom!

Yep, for those of you watching in black and white the cue ball is behind the green.

Same BBC Oxford page lower down:

Palace closes as pop stars wed

A World Heritage Site closes to visitors to allow the wedding of a celebrities Marvin Humes and Rochelle Wiseman.

Does this mean that Humes and Wiseman are 'A' list celebs, or has usage of the indefinite article subtly changed quite recently?

Same BBC Oxford page lower down:

Does this mean that Humes and Wiseman are 'A' list celebs, or has usage of the indefinite article subtly changed quite recently?

That's why I got rid of my TV two years ago. All you get is celebrities and wannabee celebrities. I HONESTLY haven't heard of either of those two.

That's why I got rid of my TV two years ago. All you get is celebrities and wannabee celebrities. I HONESTLY haven't heard of either of those two.

Quick question Keith, do you get hassle from the TV detector ppl for having no TV ? (Don't work for them, so no interest other than when I was single I never had one plugged into the aerial cable anyway, but used to get threatening letters, etc telling me I had to have one)

Cheers

Quick question Keith, do you get hassle from the TV detector ppl for having no TV ? (Don't work for them, so no interest other than when I was single I never had one plugged into the aerial cable anyway, but used to get threatening letters, etc telling me I had to have one)

Cheers

Hi Andy, I know what you mean. I haven't had any bother at all from them - not this time round. (I'll get back to that) About two years ago I was sitting watching yet another load of celebrity codswallop as I switched from channel to channel and I said that's enough! My TV licence was due but instead of paying it I phoned the Licence people up and told them I would like just to use my TV for watching DVDs. (I checked online first about this and it is okay to do so.) The girl I spoke to was great and said she would send me a letter out to confirm I had contaced them, she also said they could detect if I was watching TV and I would be reprimanded for doing so, naturally. I did as you did - unplugged the telly and just used it to watch DVDs. That was in November 2010. But in 1999 I also got rid of it and the Licence van was at my door twice. There was some heated arguments over the phone until everything got sorted. But this time round I have had no bother.) To be honest I think the technology is better now and they CAN detect if you are plugging in. PS - as a matter of interest the wording on the letter they sent me states - "...as they're being shown on TV..." Which means I cannot watch live broadcasts. (I can watch programmes on IPlayer - but only the day after they are broadcast. To be honest I don't bother because my CPU unit goes ballistic. Hope this has helped.

Edited by keith lockey

Thanks Keith

Sounds like you dealt with the same idiots I did, despite numerous calls and letters telling them I had no desire to watch complete and utter garbage, but the set would *only* be used to watch DVD's and videos. They weren't having it ! They wrote threatening letters telling me I'd be taken to court. I asked a friend of mine who was at the time a TV detector agent (He used to do the door knocking when people had been caught) and he said as long as the set wasn't used for receiving signal then it was fine.

But again they persisted, I even offered to them to come and inspect the socket (I removed the connection), but then they took the 'you could use a set top aerial' (Give me strength), so I gave them the analogy, I have a car which I pay for and drive on the road, though I could use it to mount the kerb and aim at pedestrians.

Finally they accepted everything and all was good with the world until the then girlfriend moved in !!! and wanted the TV connected :(

:)

Thanks Keith

Sounds like you dealt with the same idiots I did, despite numerous calls and letters telling them I had no desire to watch complete and utter garbage, but the set would *only* be used to watch DVD's and videos. They weren't having it ! They wrote threatening letters telling me I'd be taken to court. I asked a friend of mine who was at the time a TV detector agent (He used to do the door knocking when people had been caught) and he said as long as the set wasn't used for receiving signal then it was fine.

But again they persisted, I even offered to them to come and inspect the socket (I removed the connection), but then they took the 'you could use a set top aerial' (Give me strength), so I gave them the analogy, I have a car which I pay for and drive on the road, though I could use it to mount the kerb and aim at pedestrians.

Finally they accepted everything and all was good with the world until the then girlfriend moved in !!! and wanted the TV connected :(

:)

Sounds like you've been there, seen it, got the T-shirt and scars to prove it. Luckily enough they haven't bothered me this time round though I think they review the situation after two years. To be honest I couldn't bear watching the TV anymore. It just has no appeal to me. I've got my DVDs, my books (Tons of them) and my old CDs and my computer. I reckon the only thing I miss about the TV is the Sky at Night and the News - but even then I can buy a newspaper or go online for the latter. What i find amazing, Andy, is that people can't believe someone can go without a TV. There is this look of horror on their faces if I mention I haven't got one. I personally think it is frightening that's people's lives can be ruled by a little box in the corner of the room - or as some have a big box mounted on the wall. I think I'm born out of my time, that's the problem!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now