Hartford Hall History

One of my replies has disappeared.

Maybe the Ghost!

When the hall was the Miners Rehabilitation Centre. I think the upper floor was the one that came under suspicion of being haunted.

Ruffty tufty miners would not have been scared of the dead surely

I didn't say they were scared. They just informed my brother about the ghost because he worked nights and was new.

Oh Dear

I have every respect for all miners, particularly if they were at Hartford Hall.

You did not say the miners or your brother were scared Keith.

I said they would not be scared.

I am sorry you have misunderstood.

Miners did have lots of superstitions, but given the job, which needed skill and bravery, that was very understandable.

Please accept my apology.

Oh Dear

I have every respect for all miners, particularly if they were at Hartford Hall.

Miners did have lots of superstitions, but given the job, which needed skill and bravery, that was very understandable.

Hey, Maggie, dont go grovelling to him :thumbsup: he's got the hide of a rinoz rhonfh rynf a big animal from Africa with horns on its nose. Make him apologise to you for reading it through the bottom of a beer glass !!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Edited by keith

Oh Dear

No probs, Maggie, it was just the way I wrote it. As I say, my bro was told - matter-of-factly - that there was a ghost and that he would probably encounter it at one stage. It seemed to be an established fact BUT NO ONE on this site seems to know anything about it. PS - I never was in the building, which was a shame, and now it is apartments.

Hey, Maggie, dont go grovelling to him :thumbsup: he's got the hide of a rinoz rhonfh rynf a big animal from Africa with horns on its nose. Make him apologise to you for reading it through the bottom of a beer glass !!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Are you calling me horny, keithy Weethy. Just because you got TOMORROW NEVER DIES and I just put Bond movie. Yah boo hiss.

I just summoned the ghost using my latent psychic powers, she's still there if you want to see her, Keith, and she's called Avril.

What's the history, Merc', I need details, cold hard facts, the low down, specs, or I'll contact Dean and Sam and have them investigate.

Back to the topic. Not that Bond movies are not important.

The house was amazing to go around.

Still would be if we had access.

The grounds, the garden going down to the river would all have made a great National Trust property experience.

Once again unique Bedlington.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

No, Maggie, your memory is not playing tricks. We used to call it the 'Woods Shop' and it was only open for a few hours a day and only on certain days when I lived at Hartford. It was a small place made of huge blocks and seemed to be built into the side of a wall near the bridge. We used to buy pop (a very limited variety at the time) and crisps. I'm surprised anyone would remember it.

Happy Days!

It was Church first then the bus to Plessey Woods, a packet of Rowntrees pastilles or fruit gums and then walk through to Stannington.

Who needed a computer!

It also gave indications of the future.

Who saved the sweets, who ate them quickly and who tried to save them but failed.

Very good indicators of the people we were to become.

Orloff, which camp did you live in? I was in Camp 1 near the piggery with the stream and the woods in front of us.

Hi Anne, I don't know the name of the camp we were in as I was only 2 when we moved to Poplar Grove. But our address at Hartford was 23 Moorside. The piggery rings a bell as I remember mam and dad talking about it. Hope this helps.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now