The Date Of The First Miners Picnic?

This taken from Backworth pit's band site:

"The first picnics were held between Blyth, Newcastle and Tynemouth. In the 1930's they were held in Morpeth, until 1952 where they were held in Bedlington until 1992 (the band won the first ever Bedlington picnic!). Then final few years of the picnic, at least it this format, were held in Ashington until the last contest in 2002."

see: http://www.backworthcollieryband.org.uk/history/brass_bands.php

But lets get back to discussing naughty/evil kids and maybe the need to give them a damn good thrashing. :rolleyes:

can any one tell me when the miners picnic was first held at bedlington ? i am led to believe that it was 1959 and 1960 i thought it was before that ?

Blyth had the first one in 1867 ( flitted between there Newcastle and Tynemouth) till it whent to Morpeth in 1930. It then whent to Bedlington in 1952. So the answer to you question is 1952 Beddie

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The first miners picnic was in 1866 and held at Pollys Folly, near bog houses.

Why it was called Pollys Folly i have never found out, but there was a pub there too nicknamed the "Folly"

My memory is getting bad as i can't remember the pubs true name at the moment.

Its worth noting too that very near this field where the first picnic was held ran the original Plessey Way.

Coal was taken from Hartford to Blyth on this way.

Maybe Pollys Folly was working on that stretch, hmmm, still never know, but nice to have another idea to its originality.

The first miners picnic was in 1866 and held at Pollys Folly, near bog houses.

Why it was called Pollys Folly i have never found out, but there was a pub there too nicknamed the "Folly"

My memory is getting bad as i can't remember the pubs true name at the moment.

Its worth noting too that very near this field where the first picnic was held ran the original Plessey Way.

Coal was taken from Hartford to Blyth on this way.

Maybe Pollys Folly was working on that stretch, hmmm, still never know, but nice to have another idea to its originality.

The pub that I remember was The Albion Inn I'm sure that was referred to as the Folly. It was somehere near the fire station betweem Bog Houses and the Shankhouse roundabout. Edited by keith

The pub that I remember was The Albion Inn I'm sure that was referred to as the Folly. It was somehere near the fire station betweem Bog Houses and the Shankhouse roundabout.

Thats the one Keith. Thanks for that. I can go out tonight feeling better that i know its name.

Have a nice New Year all.

More info on the First Miners' Picnic, The Albion Etc. The first Miners Picnic was held at Polly's Folly in 1866. In much searching about the solution of the mystery of this forgotten location I was able to find some facts.

Polly's Folly, it seems was at the north end of Shankhouse, very close to the now demolished Albion public house. I remember a friend of mine who drank there and always referred to it as "The Folly.â€

This now leaves the related questions of Polly's identity, and the nature of her folly to be solved. Remembering local mine owners habit of calling pits after their wives, the "Bessy Gray†the Isabella,†and so on, and the nearness of the marsh, now tamed between Shankhouse and Bog Houses, one could guess that somewhere here was a new made pit that flooded hopelessly.

Perhaps a fitting memorial could be erected here. Maybe close to where the Albion once stood.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now