Warning Points

Afraid not, Foxy. Thought for a minute or two that might be me in the pink overall but then I saw it was the 1986 Picnic. Few years too late.

You have to admit that many of the banners were small works of art. Anybody know anything about their making? Was it the miners themselves who made them or were they comissioned from professionals?

Totally agree Adam. It would be nice to know what we can get warning points for and who dishes them out.

Moderators can dish them out, but it's very rare here as the people in Bedlington are just so polite and nice to each other. ;)

Here's another one, do you recognise anyone?

No, but i would like to see the footage that was taken by the person with the video camera near the bottom right, a nice bit of bedlington history along with your photos foxy.

How did you have them mentioned Canny lass?

Beneath my information on the left of the screen it say's "0 warning points'. These points aren't mentioned on anybody's other than mine. I can interpret this in 2 ways:
  • Bedlington.co is putting me out there as a good example to all those (everybody else) who have got warning points.
  • Bedlington.co is telling me to watch my step. It more or less says "watch it young lady, you've got a clean slate let's keep it that way'.

Beneath my information on the left of the screen it say's "0 warning points'. These points aren't mentioned on anybody's other than mine. I can interpret this in 2 ways:

• Bedlington.co is putting me out there as a good example to all those (everybody else) who have got warning points.
  • Bedlington.co is telling me to watch my step. It more or less says "watch it young lady, you've got a clean slate let's keep it that way'.

Probably a bit of both! ;)

Everyone has a naughty step score. Someone even warned me, or heavily edited one of my posts, a few years back - if I could remember who it was I'd... :D

• Or they are visible on everyones profile but only you can see your own.

Just had a quick look at your profile Brettly. No mention of warning points.

Just had a quick look at my profile. There it clearly states "0 warning points".

Now it may be that no one else sees this when they visit my profile. Do me a favour and have a quick look. Can you read that I have no warning points?

However, it's not what's on my profile that's worrying me. It's what can be seen under my information in the various forums. As I'm looking at it now it says "0 warning points" to the left of this message. Do you see it when you read or not? I can't read anywhere else about anyone having, or not having warning points.

Edited by Canny lass

Other members can not see this - just you! Which - of course - is why you can't see it on other people's posts.

Moderators can see it though for everyone; they need to because they need to know how other moderators have acted in the past.

Other members can not see this - just you! Which - of course - is why you can't see it on other people's posts.

Moderators can see it though for everyone; they need to because they need to know how other moderators have acted in the past.

It feels just a tad Orwellian - if I may say so without getting a warning point!

But just on Canny Lass's post, though; I can't see it on mine, and I assume I too have 0 warning posts!

It feels just a tad Orwellian - if I may say so without getting a warning point!

Just a way of telling someone to moderate their behaviour or language without looking to be too heavy handed. As in life in general there are boundaries especially on an open Town web site……

I have been on some forums which hand these out like sweets and cancel membership for things like disagreeing with a mods politics, so this is a pretty relaxed site!

But just on Canny Lass's post, though; I can't see it on mine, and I assume I too have 0 warning posts!

You have to be logged in. AFAIK everyone has 0 warning points, and I only remember one occasion that any were issued.

Ah, yes, George Orwell. "Display name" for Eric Blair. The left-wing guy who thought that Stalin's Russia was the future, a nice place to be, and "worked", but lived on an tiny island so he could avoid social contact himself! ;)

As this place is fully democratic why not start a campaign to have the warning system turned off? Just remember that it is an integral part of a system that is deployed on hundreds of thousands of websites, and has stood the test of time. It may seldom be used but it's a sanction your moderators may well need when disruptive elements surface, as has happened in the past.

One remarkable thing about this board is how very very little moderator intervention is required. I'd contrast this with the BBC boards which seem to be heavily moderated. Of course we've been at it much longer than they have, but mainly have a much tighter community with a common heritage. Something the social engineering politicos could learn something from I think.

As this place is fully democratic why not start a campaign to have the warning system turned off?

I'm just wondering why it was turned on - or was made public, if it's been there all the time? I've been using this site for a year now without knowing this system was in use until the fact that I had "0 warning points" started to appear beside my input in the forums a couple of days ago.

Just a way of telling someone to moderate their behaviour or language without looking to be too heavy handed. As in life in general there are boundaries especially on an open Town web site……

I'm all for knowing where the boundaries lie but should I ever cross them then a P.M. from a moderator would suffice to point out my disdemeanour. Warning points that appear in the forums are clearly not needed. Accordng to threeg it's only himself who has ever had a warning point. You can't claim that the warning point system has acted as a deterrent to bad behaviour, as it hasn't been known that it existed until a few days ago.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now