The Mystery Of The Changing Typeface

Canny lass

Can any of you computer experts explain to me what's happening when I copy and paste from a word document to this site. I have a laptop for work which I refuse to connect to the Internet (too many bad experiences). However, It's very convenient to be able to write in different places rather than sitting at a desk. I've developed the habit of writing texts on the laptop, transferring to a USB-'thing' (don't know what these are called in English) anything I want to send over the Internet and sending them from another, much older computer. Did this on this site a couple of days ago and it looked fine when I pasted it in, even if it wasn't the same typeface I'd written it in. It was at least the same typeface throughout the document. When it was posted the typeface had changed to a few different types. Is it something I'm doing wrong? Simple explanations only thank you (female, getting on in years and not the least bit technical).

Can any of you computer experts explain to me what's happening when I copy and paste from a word document to this site. I have a laptop for work which I refuse to connect to the Internet (too many bad experiences). However, It's very convenient to be able to write in different places rather than sitting at a desk. I've developed the habit of writing texts on the laptop, transferring to a USB-'thing' (don't know what these are called in English) anything I want to send over the Internet and sending them from another, much older computer. Did this on this site a couple of days ago and it looked fine when I pasted it in, even if it wasn't the same typeface I'd written it in. It was at least the same typeface throughout the document. When it was posted the typeface had changed to a few different types. Is it something I'm doing wrong? Simple explanations only thank you (female, getting on in years and not the least bit technical).

(Sucks in loudly between clenched teeth !!) There is no easy way to say this Canny Lass , the foo foo valve is completely fluffed up. De fluff the fluffed up valves by throwing the lap top in a bath of luke warm soapy water. If this does not work, ring your insurance company and tell them the dog did it. Iknow this is right because someone who whent to some of Malcolms free computer lessons told me.

Canny lass,

I do the same sort of thing. Make sure you save the document in an old format, I use Word 97-2003. Using my latest 2010 leaves a trail of destruction all over the place and makes my missives unreadable to anyone else, even those with 2010!

I did notice the changing type in your recent discourse..........

I disagree with Keef's prognosis sounds much more like the 'whatdeyamacallit' rather than a foo foo valve problem.

Hello Canny Lass - with regards to your typeface mystery it is obviously your USB flashdrive transference that's the problem. It must have run out of dilithium crystals. If you charge it up using a neutron defribulator with cobalt transwarp conduit and a Heisenberg compensator this will kick in the auto-sequencer which will reroute the transition coil pattern lock which in turn will jump start the automatic script converter and Bob becomes your uncle. Sorted, no probs. If you need anymore help contact me on Muststopwatchingstartrekepisodes.com.

Edited by keith lockey

Keith (Lockey) You lost me somewhere between "Hello" and "with regards to". I think Keith's (the otherin's) suggestion of throwing it in a bath of luke-warm soapy water is easier. Only problem is it's hard to find a bath here. Only showers and saunas.

Actually the typeface change happens to me often on Microsoft Office Word when I join two paragraphs using the delete key. I think it is a Microsoft glich. But when you transfer your text onto this site change the font size in the above toolbar and see what happens.

Actually the typeface change happens to me often on Microsoft Office Word when I join two paragraphs using the delete key. I think it is a Microsoft glich.

After reading your comment I'm now wondering if my problem also has something to do with paragraphs. I had another look at the text I posted and the typeface has changed with each new paragraph. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks.

Hello Canny Lass - with regards to your typeface mystery it is obviously your USB flashdrive transference that's the problem. It must have run out of dilithium crystals. If you charge it up using a neutron defribulator with cobalt transwarp conduit and a Heisenberg compensator this will kick in the auto-sequencer which will reroute the transition coil pattern lock which in turn will jump start the automatic script converter and Bob becomes your uncle. Sorted, no probs. If you need anymore help contact me on Muststopwatchingstartrekepisodes.com.

You've been on the Vera Lynn again, haven't ya ? I knew you would ammount to nothing when you were at the Whitley. Everybody knows that, used this way, the sequencer has to be operated manually, HUH!! Be a good boy and put the London Dry back in the cupboard out of reach. Edited by keith

When you copy text from a word document you also copy the formatting that the text is in.

When you paste text elsewhere, generally the formatting is copied to the new location along with the text. The forum software that Bedlington.co.uk uses is intelligent and recognises formatting of text as if it were a word document.

When you paste into work you can select if you want to keep the formatting of the text you have just pasted by using the formatting icon that has appeared.

See image below:

formatting%20screenshot.jpg

It is a classic case of the computer thinking it knows what you want to do rather than letting you get on with your own devices.

If you are pasting from various sources into Bedlington it will copy the formatting from each of the locations so if I wanted to copy text from a word document which I have collated from various website sources, it will appear on here with each of the different typefaces from each of the sources.

May clear things up or it may confuse you lot but you could always compile everything in Microshaft Word then copy it to notepad to remove the formatting then copy from notepad to Bedlington or just leave it to it's own devices.

Personally I would just collate it straight into Bedders and use the formatting tools within the forum text formatting box. It is rather intuitive and generally does alot of the hard work for you.

Edited by Brettly

When you copy text from a word document you also copy the formatting that the text is in.

When you paste text elsewhere, generally the formatting is copied to the new location along with the text. The forum software that Bedlington.co.uk uses is intelligent and recognises formatting of text as if it were a word document.

When you paste into work you can select if you want to keep the formatting of the text you have just pasted by using the formatting icon that has appeared.

See image below:

formatting%20screenshot.jpg

It is a classic case of the computer thinking it knows what you want to do rather than letting you get on with your own devices.

If you are pasting from various sources into Bedlington it will copy the formatting from each of the locations so if I wanted to copy text from a word document which I have collated from various website sources, it will appear on here with each of the different typefaces from each of the sources.

May clear things up or it may confuse you lot but you could always compile everything in Microshaft Word then copy it to notepad to remove the formatting then copy from notepad to Bedlington or just leave it to it's own devices.

Personally I would just collate it straight into Bedders and use the formatting tools within the forum text formatting box. It is rather intuitive and generally does alot of the hard work for you.

Thanks Brettly. the last option sounds the most simple. However, I'm still wondering about this thing with paragraphs that Keith (L) brought up. When I write a text i usually just bash away with Arial font. I complete the text first and don't usually process it until it's fineshed. I know on the last occasion, however, that I changed the font about half way through. I'd realised it was going to be quite long and changed to font of the type used in newspapers and books. It's supposed to be easier on the eye they say, in my profession anyhow. Most of the paragraphs were placed/altered when the text had been completed - as is normal for me.

When I pasted in the text in Bedders it came up as almost handwritten. It looked OK so I thought what the heck and posted it. The posted text was entirely different with both the fonts I'd used in the original text in alternate paragraphs.

I've had problems when I've sent attachments in e-mails (transferring via USB). If I send the text as an atachment it arrives at it's destination just fine. However, If I just paste the text into the main body of the e-mail it goes all to pot somewhere along the way. It looks fine when I send it off.

Could there be something wrong with either my computer or the USB I'm using?

One last question, did you mean 'Microsoft' Word? I've never heard of 'Microshaft' Word. Oh how I envy you young people who know all about these things.

Thanks again!

Hi Canny Lass – I am doing an experiment with Word.

The above line is in TNR – font 12.

This bit is in Arial

This bit is in Bookman Old Style

I am writing all this in word then I will cut and paste it onto the Bedlington Community website.

Then I will go into BC's reply box – highlight all – and change the font size to 14.

AS YOU CAN SEE IT HASN'T CHANGED IT ALL INTO ONE!!! (So much for my former hypothesis!!)

Edited by keith lockey

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is clearly Microsoft :)

but... If you are pasting from an external source such as word, you can clear the formatting on Bedders with a few simple steps...

Select all the text after pasting it into the edit box (ctrl+a) and then click this icon...

post-1-0-98056000-1343395886_thumb.png

Demonstration http://screencast.com/t/s6JayhK0 :)

More tips coming soon

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now