Old Bedlington Shops

Foxy do u have any photos of any of Hemsteads shops?

I have seen one before I am sure, but dont have any.

Thanks.

Yes I have a one D Pit but one of your relatives was on this site recently and he said he was going to put some pics on here. If you search the site you'll find his posting. I think the members on here were looking forward to seeing them so its not right for me to jump in before him, we'll wait to see what he's got. If you send me your email address on the PM system here I'll send you what I have

Edited by foxy

Canny - yep, I agree about the location of the cookery rooms and access to the library. In my time there (62 - 67) the front right-hand entrance was for girls only but the inside lobby gave access to the staircase leading up the landing off which was the library. The classroom access up there was through the library. You're also right about the long corridor with girls cloakroom at one end and boys at the other ... the boys only entrance to the school was a rear entrance into the clockroom area (left end of the school). I had a crush on Miss Wilson (she taught English ... hence being next to the library) but remember her as being tall with long dark hair, oh - and beautiful. My parents did have a class photo but misplaced it some years ago (kicking myself about it now) in one of their house moves. The more I think about it I'm sure she was single and left Westridge to get married.

My parents had moved from Bedders in late '69 and I was a student in London but believe Northumberland CC re-organised school provision I think in 1972(ish) and gave over Westridge to the Catholic Diocese.

Keith - thanks for those - I've seen them before but not relevant to me. I've got other Westridge photos with me in them but not the one mentioned earlier - maybe when I've got a minute I'll upload them for all to see and share.

Perhaps others with Westridge class photos might also like to share. I think the sharing of photos on the Forum, especially old Bedders ones in History Hollow, has brought tons of extra interest.

Keith Coultas or Coultiss?,used to go to France in his little van,to seek vinyl albums,as it was then,that you couldn't get in Britain.He got me Elvis's

Silver anniversary box set,which was about £25 then....1981-ish?[keep me right here you Elvis fans!],a weeks pay for me!,cos it was completely sold out in Britain.

John was our fitter at Bates pit,and used to maintain all our gear,including the mechanical shovel in my Bates pit photostream on Flickr...

Lydia,his sister , was my Sister's bridesmaid back in 195-something!!!!

The Musicbox was upstairs at that time,in the 70's/80's,they had some rare posters on the staircase walls.

The Record Bar was in Bowes street,Blyth,on the corner opposite the health food shop,opposite Argos.

When i played in a pop group,we all hung out there at weekends,all the other local groups i mean,listening to the latest hits,and buying the sheet music,as well as the records,to learn to play them...back in 1963-66.

"Are you sure" was a great harmony track,by the Allison.s,but i'm bound to say that seeing as i'm an Allison!

Holly was a mate who played in the "shades of blue" group,back then,lead vocalist,and harmonica player,he was great,but he left and went to London,

still in the sixties,and got into the top ten,with a band called "Toby Twirl"...can't remember the name of the record,but next time i saw him was at the Club Domino,Bedlington Station,in the early '70's,he was top of the bill,i heard he is now back in Blyth,and running his own pub.

Sorry folks....i do go on a bit!!

Er.....my last posting should have been in the "Musicbox" topic...how it got here i do not know!

On the subject of Westridge,i started in 1956,the first day it opened..and left in 1959 to go down the pits.

I would love to see any pics of Upper Remove,as my class was called,between them years!

Vic,has Doreen got any?

Edited by HIGH PIT WILMA

My classroom "Upper Remove"[ fancy name meaning nowt!] was situated in the library itself,next door were two private study rooms.

Mr Marley was our main class teacher then.1956-9.

I got clipped off Danny Douglas lots of times,cos i hated p.e. and used to "forget" my p.e. shorts etc.

I've had a few laughs with him about times past, just a couple of years back,sadly he passed away,and i never knew,i would have attended his funeral...he was great fun in the gym..even though i didn't like sport.

• 3 months later...

That's right, Keith. Alan Miller and my bro were real good mates, him and Stu Maddison. But I still cannot picture the Co-op shop at Ian Bell's. I remember most of the shops, like Doyles at the top of the woods at Stead Lane and the one in between the Coffin Chapel and the Whitley school - which has been posted elsewhere on this site. But the Blyth Store Bank shop is a complete blank.

PS - news is they are going to knock down the bottom shops at the Oval.

Can't find a photo but I remember the Co-op.The bus stop, either side of the road, was known as 'Blyth Store' Edited by Eggy1948

Yes I remember both of them but it was a long time ago. Patricks was the bit near the station gates and the butchers was the other side of the pub, oppisit the Library if I remember correctly.

I used to deliver papers from Patrick's when I was 11/12 - 1959-1960. Patrick's was the shop on the corner, and on the same side, across from the Station Club. There was another paper shop on the same side as the Clayton Arms, but can't remember if it was next door to the Clayton or a couple of shops down and can't remember it's name. And I think there was a Bainbridge's News Agent on Station Road. Edited by Eggy1948

Keith Coultas or Coultiss?,used to go to France in his little van,to seek vinyl albums,as it was then,that you couldn't get in Britain.He got me Elvis's

Silver anniversary box set,which was about £25 then....1981-ish?[keep me right here you Elvis fans!],a weeks pay for me!,cos it was completely sold out in Britain.

John was our fitter at Bates pit,and used to maintain all our gear,including the mechanical shovel in my Bates pit photostream on Flickr...

Lydia,his sister , was my Sister's bridesmaid back in 195-something!!!!

The Musicbox was upstairs at that time,in the 70's/80's,they had some rare posters on the staircase walls.

The Record Bar was in Bowes street,Blyth,on the corner opposite the health food shop,opposite Argos.

When i played in a pop group,we all hung out there at weekends,all the other local groups i mean,listening to the latest hits,and buying the sheet music,as well as the records,to learn to play them...back in 1963-66.

"Are you sure" was a great harmony track,by the Allison.s,but i'm bound to say that seeing as i'm an Allison!

Holly was a mate who played in the "shades of blue" group,back then,lead vocalist,and harmonica player,he was great,but he left and went to London,

still in the sixties,and got into the top ten,with a band called "Toby Twirl"...can't remember the name of the record,but next time i saw him was at the Club Domino,Bedlington Station,in the early '70's,he was top of the bill,i heard he is now back in Blyth,and running his own pub.

Sorry folks....i do go on a bit!!

Please keep going on Keith, I need someone from Bedlington to rattle the brain cells. I remember Holly - Shades of Blue - made the girls scream at the Bedlington YMCA.

This site shows recent correspondence from the band members:-

http://www.mancheste...l/tobytwirl.php

Edited by Eggy1948

I used to deliver papers from Patrick's when I was 11/12 - 1959-1960. Patrick's was the shop on the corner, and on the same side, across from the Station Club. There was another paper shop on the same side as the Clayton Arms, but can't remember if it was next door to the Clayton or a couple of shops down and can't remember it's name. And I think there was a Bainbridge's News Agent on Station Road.

I think that was Robsons! I may be wrong. We used to get our DC Comics there. And on the corner, where the chemist is now, was Chisolms - the white shop. I used to buy all my Action Man equipment there and the Subbutteo teams. Happy days.

Edited by keith lockey

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Is this the one we talked about Keith Lockey?

Cheers, Foxy, it looks like the shop. (The newspaper rack on the wall is the give-away) So am I right in saying that newsagent's is the Cash For Clothes shop now? Can you remember the name of the shop? One hell of a shot.

Edited by keith lockey

• 1 month later...

The Music Box was where the cobblers is now, Keith Coultas and Sylvia Anderson from leechies estate,

Keith also opened up a 2nd shop in Blyth mkt place where savers is,

think Ive still got a little bag with me tape splicer in! At least thats my offering, but could b wrong!!

The Music Box was where the cobblers is now, Keith Coultas and Sylvia Anderson from leechies estate,

Keith also opened up a 2nd shop in Blyth mkt place where savers is,

think Ive still got a little bag with me tape splicer in! At least thats my offering, but could b wrong!!

You are correct Viv. That is where I used to go to buy my single/albums.

If they didn`t have a record I wanted Sylvia would get it in for me & give me DJ discount, as I worked for hospital radio at the time.

Spent many an hour there: & loads of dosh too!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now