Old Bedlington Shops

Guys,

My Great Grandad's shop is now Best Bite. As for photos, im not sure, will speak to my Gran when I get a chance!

Bill hemsted was my Great great grandfather as well.. He had I believe three shops in Bedlington at one time, as you say where best bite

is now, also a few doors away (later millers bingo) and another at the top end ( i think where the top end chemists is now)

See if I can find any photos..

NEW QUESTION

Was there a small newsagents roughly where that Cash for Clothes shop is now - Or the estates agents is - opposite the Sun Inn.

I vaguely recall going in there a couple of times, up a step. They also had a newspaper rack that stood outside. Please help.

Edited by keith lockey

NEW QUESTION

Was there a small newsagents roughly where that Cash for Clothes shop is now - Or the estates agents is - opposite the Sun Inn.

I vaguely recall going in there a couple of times, up a step. They also had a newspaper rack that stood outside. Please help.

Would that be the shop where I saw you standing on on your Alans shoulders trying to reach the top shelf ?

Another new question about shops.

Early to mid-60s at the top end of Front Street I recall a short parade of shops then the old Top Club; I don't have a clear enough memory of the first shop but think it may have been a newsagent/sweet shop, next door was a fruit and veg shop run by the mother of a friend of mine (his name was Jeremy Patton). This fruit and veg shop I think had one of those 'shared' angled entrances to the shop next door. Any old photos or info?

Jeremy had an older sister and the family lived in a big house opposite next to Gordon's the Undertakers (now Grenfell's according to Google Streetview). I was sure that side of Front Street was much more banked-up than Streetview shows so it just shows how memory can't really be relied on. Does anybody have any info about Jeremy?

Another new question about shops.

Early to mid-60s at the top end of Front Street I recall a short parade of shops then the old Top Club; I don't have a clear enough memory of the first shop but think it may have been a newsagent/sweet shop, next door was a fruit and veg shop run by the mother of a friend of mine (his name was Jeremy Patton). This fruit and veg shop I think had one of those 'shared' angled entrances to the shop next door. Any old photos or info?

Jeremy had an older sister and the family lived in a big house opposite next to Gordon's the Undertakers (now Grenfell's according to Google Streetview). I was sure that side of Front Street was much more banked-up than Streetview shows so it just shows how memory can't really be relied on. Does anybody have any info about Jeremy?

Was the newsagents Watsons?

I'll put it in the Gallery

Now that brings back memories. I used to miss assembley at Westridge most Wednesday mornings when I was in my third year and go to Beadnells to do the shopping for the domestic science teacher. She had to have the ingredients before the first class of the day started.

Canny - I have a clear memory of the cookery room being near the library on the first floor above the main entrance ... was there another cookery room next to it? There was a classroom up there too - it was my form room when I was in the second year (1963/4), form teacher Mrs Wilson (or it might have been Miss).

I'm sure I have seen a copy of the plan of the school somewhere so will try to find it to confirm matters.

Thanks for that photo Foxy ... yep, the memory was correct about the shared entrance to the shop.

Canny - I have a clear memory of the cookery room being near the library on the first floor above the main entrance ... was there another cookery room next to it? There was a classroom up there too - it was my form room when I was in the second year (1963/4), form teacher Mrs Wilson (or it might have been Miss).

I'm sure I have seen a copy of the plan of the school somewhere so will try to find it to confirm matters.

Thanks for that photo Foxy ... yep, the memory was correct about the shared entrance to the shop.

Hi Symptoms, i saw the dates for the Westridge School and had this photo in my collection. Any good. My cousin, Joe Knox is there - fifth from the right - middle row.

post-2953-0-78028700-1358098835_thumb.jp

Edited by keith lockey

And this is it keith,

it shows the windows in one piece and I'm sure Dick and the Duchess will be knocking about there somewhere!

That has got to be in the 50's Foxy ?. The Clayton corner must have been a place to congregate down the years. Dicky and the Duchess would have been inside !! Edited by keith

That has got to be in the 50's Foxy ?. The Clayton corner must have been a place to congregate down the years. Dicky and the Duchess would have been inside !!

Come on, lads, that can't be the Clayton - it's got windows!!!

Edited by keith lockey

There were two cookery rooms on the landing of the stairs from the main entrance but the library was accessed from the stairs at the righthand side of the building (viewed from the exterior). I can't remember any classroom between these and I can't think how you would get to it, other than through a door leading from the library. There was no door leading in that direction from the cookery room. However, I remember that the corridor downstairs was very long so there would have been room for something between the library and the cookery room. I left in 62 but there was a Mrs Wilson, art teacher, at that time. A small, demure creature with a french pleat hairstyle. She often wore pleated tartan skirts and cashmere sweaters in beiges and browns. Could that be her?

I had no Idea that the catholic school had taken over the premises. When did that happen?

can anyone remember patricks paper shop and walkers the butcher shop next to the tavern at the station

Yes I remember both of them but it was a long time ago. Patricks was the bit near the station gates and the butchers was the other side of the pub, oppisit the Library if I remember correctly.

Edited by Pete

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now