Old Bedlington Shops

Calling Foxy, come in Foxy, your help is needed.

I got a lift home today and I told the driver he could take a short cut down Blyth Store Bank. Now that is the long road leading down Tosson Close from Ian Bell's motorbike shop. And of course my mate asks the 64 thousand dollar question - Why is it called Blyth Store Bank. That stumped me, but my bro says there used to be a Blyth Co-op shop where ian Bell's is now. Have you any photos Foxy or can anyone else throw some light on this. Cheers.

Sure was Keith and there was also a shop called Barns there to. Blyth Store also caught fire early sixties

Sure was Keith and there was also a shop called Barns there to. Blyth Store also caught fire early sixties

I remember Barnsies and across that little gap was an embroidary shop or something. I also remember my old school mate Paul Maddison took it over and opened a photography shop there. But I can't for the life of me remember the Co-op.

Edited by keith lockey

Thanks for the photographic memories of our great town - it really is quite essential that photographic records such as these are perpetuated and handed down to interested townsfolk. I trust that some of the contributors are taking photographs of the area as it is now for those who follow us to ponder.

I got a lift home today and I told the driver he could take a short cut down Blyth Store Bank. Now that is the long road leading down Tosson Close from Ian Bell's motorbike shop. And of course my mate asks the 64 thousand dollar question - Why is it called Blyth Store Bank. That stumped me, but my bro says there used to be a Blyth Co-op shop where ian Bell's is now. Have you any photos Foxy or can anyone else throw some light on this. Cheers.

Sorry Keith,

Iv'e got nowt of that area but what the others are saying is right, Blyth Store also had a shop at the Station which sold small Electrical appliances it was the building what is now the Chinese Carry Out beside the Domino/Lucy's/Palace

Edited by foxy

Sorry Keith,

Iv'e got nowt of that area but what the others are saying is right, Blyth Store also had a shop at the Station which sold small Electrical appliances it was the building what is now the Chinese Carry Out beside the Domino/Lucy's/Palace

Cheers anyway, Foxy, I honestly can't remember the co-op at Ian Bells and I can't remember that electrical goods shop either.. But I remember there was a shoe repair shop behind the Clayton and roughly where the Gables surgery is now; it had something to do with the Pioneer Boot factory - but that was at the top of Bolam Place! I recall a bloke coming round in a van and collecting our boots or shoes and taking them away for repair - then he would bring them back. I popped into that little shop once and it was reeking of evo-stick - and that was before glue-sniffing started.

Edited by keith lockey

Aye and Johnny Barnes' behind it

Thanks for correcting me, Tonyg. My bro said it was Pioneer and he convinced me.

Pioneer boot factory is where Andersons motors is now, on Pioneer Tce at the top of Waverley Drive. Blyth store used to order my dads pipe baccy in specially for him Scots Cake it was called. If you remember, Keith, Alan Miller was killed on his motor bike outside Blyth store, in the early 70's.

Pioneer boot factory is where Andersons motors is now, on Pioneer Tce at the top of Waverley Drive. Blyth store used to order my dads pipe baccy in specially for him Scots Cake it was called. If you remember, Keith, Alan Miller was killed on his motor bike outside Blyth store, in the early 70's.

That's right, Keith. Alan Miller and my bro were real good mates, him and Stu Maddison. But I still cannot picture the Co-op shop at Ian Bell's. I remember most of the shops, like Doyles at the top of the woods at Stead Lane and the one in between the Coffin Chapel and the Whitley school - which has been posted elsewhere on this site. But the Blyth Store Bank shop is a complete blank.

PS - news is they are going to knock down the bottom shops at the Oval.

Walked past there at the weekend, there appears to be only two shops open.

Carol's the hairdresser is moving up near BuzzyBees and I believe the Bling shop is too. But I don't know about the computer shop. But those bottom shops are all coming down. I think I better take some photos before the dozers arrive. It's quite sad, cos that's another part of my past getting turned into rubble. First the Terrier and now the shops where I used to buy comics, etc. I think some higher being is trying to erase my memories.

Edited by keith lockey

Carol's the hairdresser is moving up near BuzzyBees and I believe the Bling shop is too. But I don't know about the computer shop. But those bottom shops are all coming down. I think I better take some photos before the dozers arrive. It's quite sad, cos that's another part of my past getting turned into rubble. First the Terrier and now the shops where I used to buy comics, etc. I think some higher being is trying to erase my memories.

I remember watching the dozers flaten that land to build them shops.

Edited by Pete

Pete,

Have you been back to the old homestead and not had a gargle with the boys?

Yes Malcolm, was there at the weekend, didn't have much time as I went to a reunion on Friday night and had a lazy day on Saturday, Traveled back early Sunday morning, was home for 9,00am. Still the same old Bedlington but its great to get back.

I will be up next year Malcolm so we will have to arange a night to go for a pint or two or three or even more.

• 3 weeks later...

For the record in Foxy's picture: the shop just this side of the Northumberland Arms is James Millne (Jimmy Millne's) at 110 Front Street East. This was where Radio and later TV was supplied from. It was known as "The Cycle Shop" because it still sold cycle spares, and just about everything else hardware-wise. It also still saw a steady string of miners buying "carbide" (calcium carbide) for their helmet gas lamps about the time this was taken. This was scooped out of large oil drums and sold by the pound in heavy duty paper bags. Maybe the carbide was also used in early cycle lamps, but by this time they were all battery operated by the common 3 Volt Cycle Lamp Batteries.

I also remember a sign saying "Needless to say you'll need needles." yup, not the sewing variety but your actual gramophone needles! Going out of fashion as the electric "pick-up" and amplifiers rendered them relics of the past, but still in some demand in those days of 78's (78 RPM Records). Other things on show, and in demand, would be sets of darts, and harmonicas (Horner?). I remember local darts players weighing darts in their hands and doing practice throws. You wanted high-tech - there were shelves of radio valves with type numbers going back to the year dot! Perhaps the only place you could get those in Bedlington.

A "fashion expert" tells me this picture is 1958 or 1959, and that's about what I'd have guessed, if I'd not guessed a tiny bit earlier. So.. here we are already well into the 405 line TV era, with BBC TV (Channel 5) long established, and Tyne Tees TV (Channel 8) just starting, or getting ready to start.

Jimmy Milne had his cycle premises firstly at the Wharton Arms yard.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now