Old Bedlington Shops

Now that you mention those names they do ring a bell. (So where have I got Proudlocks from???) But were Feasters & Moldens connected? I vaguely remember going to the back of one shop and into the other. I may be wrong on that. But am I right in saying they stood where the florists is now?

Probably because it was called Pringles not Proudlocks! :D Una Pringle I believe, and Vulcan Place the location.

Well, Malcolm Hemsted is apparently "website administrator" of "http://bedlington.pl...ay-cricket.com" and has published his email and picture there, so why don't you ask him? Better still ask him to come on board and post what he knows about the family for posterity. If he has photos to post then so much the better.

Hemsted rings a strong bell, and if I had to guess I'd say it was one of the shops at the East end of Front Street East, to the right of the banner here http://www.bedlingto...iners-picnic/ possibly the one with a double awning. Am a bit ashamed I can't remember precisely just at the moment. I'd certainly have shopped there on the odd occasion. For the record the one immediately to the left of the banner is Miller's Fruit and Veg, and they also owned the smaller shop to the left of the lamp post, though didn't always occupy it themselves.

And I think you do know what happened to that budgie... ;)

I contacted the club site rather than registered with ECB, you never know ;)

Can anyone remember the name of the shop that stood beside the P.A.W.S clinic at Millbank Road. It is now a house. Someone has said it didn't have a name but I'm sure it did.

Frazers. It was still there when we lived on Seaton Avenue (opposite). We moved to the station in June 2004, Frazers shop closed just before then. Edited by keith

Not the same one that had the shop in Seaton Sluice right on the front next to the Astley Arms was it?

Dont know Brett, the wife just told me the lady who ran it just before it closed was called Carol. I think the shop was passed down to her or her husband (dont know which or even if they were called Frazer) I just know that the shop was always called Frazers.

Frazers. It was still there when we lived on Seaton Avenue (opposite). We moved to the station in June 2004, Frazers shop closed just before then.

Cheers Keith. I'll buy you a pint on your 18th. I knew it had a name. (Bedlington Community site at its best.)

• 2 weeks later...

There was a newsagents at Bedlington Station between Walter Wilsons and Keenlysides. They had a talking (Mynah) bird and I vaguely remember going upstairs where they sold sports equipment. (I was into archery then and I bought some arrows there.) Can anyone help me with this. Also - can anyone remember the white shop - Chisolms - on the corner! We used to by our Subbutteo teams and Action Man stuff there . Cheers.

Edited by keith lockey

There was a newsagents at Bedlington Station between Walter Wilsons and Keenlysides. They had a talking (Mynah) bird and I vaguely remember going upstairs where they sold sports equipment. (I was into archery then and I bought some arrows there.) Can anyone help me with this. Also - can anyone remember the white shop - Chisolms - on the corner! We used to by our Subbutteo teams and Action Man stuff there . Cheers.

Is this it?

Bainbridge's, proprietors where Gair and Hewitson or so I am lead to believe (spelling could be wrong). They also sold fishing tackle and fishing bait.

Bainbridge's, proprietors where Gair and Hewitson or so I am lead to believe (spelling could be wrong). They also sold fishing tackle and fishing bait.

Yes, I remember going upstairs and seeing all these nets and reels and other fishing regalia. As I said, i was into archery in those days but Bainbridges only sold the wooden arrows. I could get aluminium ones at a shop in Ashington - down by the old police station and the Portland. I'm sure it had a Scottish name - Mac' something. (Memory's gone.)

Yes, I remember going upstairs and seeing all these nets and reels and other fishing regalia. As I said, i was into archery in those days but Bainbridges only sold the wooden arrows. I could get aluminium ones at a shop in Ashington - down by the old police station and the Portland. I'm sure it had a Scottish name - Mac' something. (Memory's gone.)

McDermots (spelling) they sold sporting guns and fishing tackle as well

Ah, it's back to collecting the The Radio Constructor on my bike on wet days again! :D Looking at the other Walter Wilson pictures, did they EVER repair their sign - shades of Faulty Towers here - or did it gradually deteriorate? Presumably it originally said "THE SMILING SERVICE GROCERS"?

BTW further up on the thread re. Moldens I'm surprised no one mentioned Percy Molden. The thing that most sticks in my mind about Moldens is that behind the scenes, in the office, was a shelf with a row of hard back tomes on how to run a business. The fact that these imposing business manuals looked in pristine condition my young mind rationalised with the fact that, if they'd been used, or indeed of any practical use, Percy wouldn't still be occupying only "half a shop" in a small town. Percy was a great character, but as a young boy I had an uncomfortable feeling being sent in there by myself. I was particularly uncomfortable at his insistence on inside leg measurements at every possible occasion. :unsure: Boy's waists - or lack of them - seemed to be a particular talking point.

I remember going into Matty Robinson's once and hearing this disembodied voice coming from somewhere behind some boxes. Then there was the patter of feet belonging to some hound. (I think it was a black labrador) The shop was a cross between Arkwrights and Aladdin's cave. I thought if a fire breaks out here you don't stand a chance. I'm sure if John Wayne walked in there he could have bought a Winchester Rifle and some shells and a saddle for his hoss.

I remember going into Matty Robinson's once and hearing this disembodied voice coming from somewhere behind some boxes. Then there was the patter of feet belonging to some hound. (I think it was a black labrador) The shop was a cross between Arkwrights and Aladdin's cave. I thought if a fire breaks out here you don't stand a chance. I'm sure if John Wayne walked in there he could have bought a Winchester Rifle and some shells and a saddle for his hoss.

Your right Keith, there's a box of shells just below that roll of wallpaper in the window.

Your right Keith, there's a box of shells just below that roll of wallpaper in the window.

Your photographic library truly astounds me, Foxy. Have you got one of Dodge City 1871? or San Francisco at the time of the gold rush? (PS - Silicone!!!! He had silicone in those darn days!) He must have got it via the time-machine he had in the back room. (And don't tell me he didn't have a time-machine, because he had everything else!) If you look at the upstairs storeroom windows they are jammed packed. One match and 'look ma, I'm on top of the world."

Keith L wrote: "I remember Wards Photography shop but am I right in saying he had the contract for the local school photographs? Because I bet he would have a stockpile of old bedlington photos."

Nah! I reckon foxy has the collection and is drip feeding them to us here.

On a serious note ... often old photos/negatives belonging to former photo businesses were kept by descendants, boxes-up for storage and forgotten about. There's been plenty of news stories about old photo archives being found decades later. Anyway, is there any information about Ward descendants? If they exist it might be worth asking if they have anything - what a find it would be and just imagine how enriched this website could be if we had them.

Bill Ward is still alive and Kicking

• 3 months later...

Calling Foxy, come in Foxy, your help is needed.

I got a lift home today and I told the driver he could take a short cut down Blyth Store Bank. Now that is the long road leading down Tosson Close from Ian Bell's motorbike shop. And of course my mate asks the 64 thousand dollar question - Why is it called Blyth Store Bank. That stumped me, but my bro says there used to be a Blyth Co-op shop where ian Bell's is now. Have you any photos Foxy or can anyone else throw some light on this. Cheers.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now