Old Bedlington Shops

I know weve discussed this on the phone bro, but im STILL convinced the shop / shops we are on about was just BEFORE you got to the Northumberland arms....ie, just after the Monkey. Thanks to the rest of the people here, the names of Feasters and Moldens do ring a big bell. I just cant remember them being around the corner from the Northumberland which is what you are saying. I KNOW the florists shop WAS something else before it became established as a florist, but what it was i cant remember. Another thing to think of bro. Why would we go there for our school trousers ? As so rightly pointed out by Canny Lass, they were the suppliers of Westridge's uniforms. It's a time machine we need :-)))

Are these the shops you mean? The florists you mention and to the other side of the Northumberland Arms was James Millnes Cycle Shop.

Are these the shops you mean? The florists you mention and to the other side of the Northumberland Arms was James Millnes Cycle Shop.

Funny enough I cannot remember any of those shops in the photo. In fact the only building I recall in detail down Vulcan's Place was the old rediffusion shop where the garage is now. (Or thereabouts). PS - the car licence plate in the photo spells out my initials - KL - spooky.

I know weve discussed this on the phone bro, but im STILL convinced the shop / shops we are on about was just BEFORE you got to the Northumberland arms....ie, just after the Monkey. Thanks to the rest of the people here, the names of Feasters and Moldens do ring a big bell. I just cant remember them being around the corner from the Northumberland which is what you are saying. I KNOW the florists shop WAS something else before it became established as a florist, but what it was i cant remember. Another thing to think of bro. Why would we go there for our school trousers ? As so rightly pointed out by Canny Lass, they were the suppliers of Westridge's uniforms. It's a time machine we need :-)))

I wish we did have a time machine, bro - then I could leave you in the fifties or sixties where your adled brain belongs. Watch my lips - Feasters and Moldens were next to the florists - roughly where the solicitors is now. You can't even remember the corner shop - Binks - between the Whitley school and the Coffin Chapel. Oh for a photo of all these shops, please, someone.

I wish we did have a time machine, bro - then I could leave you in the fifties or sixties where your adled brain belongs. Watch my lips - Feasters and Moldens were next to the florists - roughly where the solicitors is now. You can't even remember the corner shop - Binks - between the Whitley school and the Coffin Chapel. Oh for a photo of all these shops, please, someone.

Must be your brain that is adled, Binks shop is on the photo.

Must be your brain that is adled, Binks shop is on the photo.

My adled brain apologises to you, Foxy. That is so weird. I wasn't looking that far down and i didn't even recognise it. Humbled by a box brownie. Oh for a brain that works in conjunction with my tired eyes.

You may well have bought school trousers here even if you didn't go to Westridge. The official uniform items were those with a badge on - or you could just buy the badges and sew them on yourself.They also sold the blu/white striped blouse for the girls. Ordinary grey/navy trousers and skirts were also on sale here as were plain white shirts.

I'm now wondering if we're on about the same Moldens and Feasters? The ones I'm thinking about weren't at Vulcan Place. They were further down the front Street - at 'the bottom end' as they used to say - to the right of the Northumbend Arms in Foxy's Picture.

Edited by Canny lass

You may well have bought school trousers here even if you didn't go to Westridge. The official uniform items were those with a badge on - or you could just buy the badges and sew them on yourself.They also sold the blu/white striped blouse for the girls. Ordinary grey/navy trousers and skirts were also on sale here as were plain white shirts.

I'm now wondering if we're on about the same Moldens and Feasters? The ones I'm thinking about weren't at Vulcan Place. They were further down the front Street - at 'the bottom end' as they used to say - to the right of the Northumbend Arms in Foxy's Picture.

That's what i am saying, Canny Lass. I said they were either at the florists shop or the one next door. My bro is the one who says they were down Vulcan's Place. It's a running argument I am having with him. Cheers for confirming it.

What was Gallon's shop? To be honest Keith I recall next to nothing about these shops. Cheers.

I can remember a hardware shop about there, we left the Market Place about '64 / '65 ( I'm not sure if you remember, your Alan will, when we lived behind Johnsons shoe shop) to live at Waverley Avenue. Much of that part of Vulcan place was derelict then and was starting to be demolished. Remember the row of houses below Oranges garage,( now Tyred and Exhausted)

I remember a Rediffusion workshop where Tyred and Exhausted is. (Or on the green next to it). But as my Bro pointed out, there was a Rediffusion shop up near the post office. But the shops leading down from the Northumberland Arms towards the Monkey are a mystery to me. But then again I was just a young whippersnapper and if the shops didn't sell sweets or comics then I wouldn't have gone in them. (PS I've still got some issues of the Legion of Super Heroes.) Nerds live, okay!

What about Ernie Gurney the butcher ... didn't he have a shop on Front St somewhere beyond the Northumberland Arms? Did Matty Binks the plumber have premises down there as well (mid 60s and before)?

I seem to remember opposite there was a little farm or small-holding of sorts owned by the Pattersons ... I think they may also have had haulage lorries; I knew the son but at the moment can't recall his name ... I think he may have joined the cops but I could be wrong on that.

What about Ernie Gurney the butcher ... didn't he have a shop on Front St somewhere beyond the Northumberland Arms? Did Matty Binks the plumber have premises down there as well (mid 60s and before)?

I seem to remember opposite there was a little farm or small-holding of sorts owned by the Pattersons ... I think they may also have had haulage lorries; I knew the son but at the moment can't recall his name ... I think he may have joined the cops but I could be wrong on that.

Did you forget Charlie Carr, Louie Dunn and Reeds the Cobbler?

Edited by foxy

Your right Canny lass. Do you think all these men got their skirts at Feasters?

Ah yes, picnic day was never the same without the Lanarkshire Ladyboy Pipers or the Tayside Trannies. Give us a squirl girls. (Nice to see Moldens shop sign and I do remember Carrs - but the rest...!!!)

Edited by keith lockey

That's a great shot of the Pipers foxy. Sadly though, it's shot down my theory of where i thought Moldens was :-( Looks like my bro isnt as stupid as he looks.....and he sure looks stupid ! Yes bro. Wards DID have the contract for all the Bedlington schools photo's.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now