Old Bedlington Shops

Please help. Where was The Music Box - in conjunction with the front street shops today. I know it was opposite the Sun Inn and it was owned by a Keith ? Sylivia ? was the manageress and I used to buy all my Moody Blues and Roxy Music vinyl there. Methinks it is either the cobblers / key place or the opticians. If i am not mistaken you had to go upstairs. Any photos would be appreciated. Cheers all.

Edited by keith lockey

Please help. Where was The Music Box - in conjunction with the front street shops today. I know it was opposite the Sun Inn and it was owned by a Keith ? Sylivia ? was the manageress and I used to buy all my Moody Blues and Roxy Music vinyl there. Methinks it is either the cobblers / key place or the opticians. If i am not mistaken you had to go upstairs. Any photos would be appreciated. Cheers all.

Think it was owned by the Coulson Family.

I have a photo with it in the foreground although it is not the main subject in the picture. I cannot upload it onto this website because I have reached my allowance on here,but if you send me your email address through the messaging system I'll send it on to you.

Edited by foxy

Think it was owned by the Coulson Family.

I have a photo with it in the foreground although it is not the main subject in the picture. I cannot upload it onto this website because I have reached my allowance on here,but if you send me your email address through the messaging system I'll send it on to you.

Cheers Foxy, will attempt that now. Come to think of it the Name Keith Coulson rings a ding-a-ling.

Edited by keith lockey

foxy - could it have been Coultas? There was a Cliff Coultas (he would have been maybe 65 to 70 now but died just a few years ago ... he was in the cops), an Alan who I knew would be 59ish now, and I think there was a younger brother Keith. Cliff and Alan (Al's nickname was Cowt) were Westridge lads early to mid 60s.

Does anybody know where Alan is now as it would be great to make contact with him again?

foxy - could it have been Coultas? There was a Cliff Coultas (he would have been maybe 65 to 70 now but died just a few years ago ... he was in the cops), an Alan who I knew would be 59ish now, and I think there was a younger brother Keith. Cliff and Alan (Al's nickname was Cowt) were Westridge lads early to mid 60s.

Does anybody know where Alan is now as it would be great to make contact with him again?

Your right with the name Symp but I could'nt tell you where they are now.

Cliff was a former class mate of mine. I heard recently that he made it to Chief Inspector in the Northumberland police force but died sadly at the age of 55. That would be about 10 years ago by my reckoning.

So who owned the Music Box? Was it Keith Coulson or Keith Coultas. I know he was tall and had dark hair and glasses. He also had a thin moustache I believe. I have seen him in Bedlington. I worked at Presto's then and used to by my records at his shop.

Edited by keith lockey

Symptoms.

Is the Alan you refer to a devout Sunderland supporter by any chance?

Yep, Cowt was a mackem ("the only mackem in the village" ... to paraphrase from a certain recent comedy show). A brave lad indeed as he'd be seen at the Red Lion bus stop, all decked-out with red & white scarf and bobble hat, waiting for the bus to go to the match. He was a good friend of mine but they were kinder times back then; the rest of our group were avid Toon supporters but he was always part of our group. I'm not sure that would happen these days.

Yep, Cowt was a mackem ("the only mackem in the village" ... to paraphrase from a certain recent comedy show). A brave lad indeed as he'd be seen at the Red Lion bus stop, all decked-out with red & white scarf and bobble hat, waiting for the bus to go to the match. He was a good friend of mine but they were kinder times back then; the rest of our group were avid Toon supporters but he was always part of our group. I'm not sure that would happen these days.

In the 70s/80s Me, Alan & about 30 others from the Morpeth supporters branch, used to tour the country together. I know Alan well.

He lives in Guide Post.

When I lived there we used to often have a beer & natter together on a Saturday night in the Queens before it`s sorry demise.

did the music box move to blyth in the 80's - to near or above/beside woolworths

had a bit of a think over night - the music box.... was where the cobblers is now and

the hairdressers they had was up the narrow stairs (separate door access).

they then moved to blyth to where the cut price toiletries store (don't know name) is and the hairdressers was accessed through internal staircase

had a bit of a think over night - the music box.... was where the cobblers is now and

the hairdressers they had was up the narrow stairs (separate door access).

they then moved to blyth to where the cut price toiletries store (don't know name) is and the hairdressers was accessed through internal staircase

Sorry, Curly, couldn't access the site last night to reply to you. Yes, the Bedlington Music Box was where the cobblers is now - someone sent a photo to confirm it, and it was downstairs. But I thought keith - the owner - had a boutique upstairs! (Did he merge the two?) I can't remember a hairdressers at all. As for a Blyth shop I just can't recall one - though my brother said there was a music shop in Bowes Street. I have happy memories of the Music Box, bought all my LPs there. Cheers for replying.

The Music Box saga is a bit puzzling bro. I am 99% certain, that when the Music Box opened ( 71/72 ? ) it was upstairs, a couple of entrances along from the cobblers shop. I moved away from Bedlington in 1976, and ...again, i am sure it was still upstairs then ,filled with wall to wall singles, albums cassettes etc. It then changed to a boutique, still being run by Sylvia and Janet.... i THINK, and there were a " few " records available too. I can vaguely remember it being downstairs, (which is now the cobblers shop ), but when that change was made, i really have no idea. I can only summise they changed premises between 76 - 82 ? Like yourself, i bought all my records from there. I even bought the Osmonds record for you...remember ;-)

As for them moving to Blyth, again, i cant remember that. As youve said in a previous post, Blyth had a very well established music shop there, and it was probably too big for the music box to compete with. BUT....i wouldnt like to say off hand.

No bro, I only remember the Music Box being where it was - ie cobblers. And talking of cobblers - the Osmonds!!! Really!!! Crazy Horses are running through your head. Just remember bro, I was the one born with good taste in music. BUT - the first single (45) that I ever bought was Rainbow Valley by the Love Affair. Where's my flairs.

Lets hope someone can clear this up. It's doing my head in. My first record...although our mother bought it for me, was The Allisons song entitled, Are you Sure....YEP, thats an oldie for sure :-((

post-2524-0-24066700-1342049813_thumb.jp

No bro, I only remember the Music Box being where it was - ie cobblers. And talking of cobblers - the Osmonds!!! Really!!! Crazy Horses are running through your head. Just remember bro, I was the one born with good taste in music. BUT - the first single (45) that I ever bought was Rainbow Valley by the Love Affair. Where's my flairs.

You might remember the music box etc. Keith, but can you remember this. Bottom left?

post-2524-0-24066700-1342049813_thumb.jpYou might remember the music box etc. Keith, but can you remember this. Bottom left?

AHA!!! That, Keith, is not actually me. I have seen this photo and can name about a dozen or more people on it. But the kid you are refering to is actually Phil Temple. It's a brilliant, clear school photo but me and a few others aren't on it.

AHA!!! That, Keith, is not actually me. I have seen this photo and can name about a dozen or more people on it. But the kid you are refering to is actually Phil Temple. It's a brilliant, clear school photo but me and a few others aren't on it.

Darn , could have sworn it was you. Obviously my memory isnot as good as yours. The only one that I definately recognise 100% is my brother (sticking out on the right in the grey jumper). That was your class though, wasn't it ? Edited by keith

Darn , could have sworn it was you. Obviously my memory isnot as good as yours. The only one that I definately recognise 100% is my brother (sticking out on the right in the grey jumper). That was your class though, wasn't it ?

It's my year but there are a few people who were at that school who aren't on there. Both me and my bro have seen this photo and we went through it - naming certain people. I tell you what, Keith, I will put names to them and post it on this site sometime today if I can. I've got to pop out shortly so I'll sort the names out later.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now