Picnic Tables At Furnace Bank

we've got no way of controlling kids, its all been taken away, you cannot chastise, speak to or punish children in any way.

this opinion does not appliy to all

There must be some way of maintaining control of children as the majority turn out just fine. I haven't lived in England for many years so I'd like to know what it is that's changed there. Who has taken away the right to raise children to be respectful, law-abiding adults? I know there are laws against the use of corporal punishment - and rightly so - but who on this earth has taken away the right to speak to a child? Punishment is a rather harsh sounding word which tends to be associated with physical abuse, but it needn't necessarily be so. Is there some new law that say's a parent can't stop a child's pocket money (there's no law which say's you have to give it to them as far as I know)? Is there some new law that say's a 13-14 year old cannot be given a set, early bed time by his own parents? Is there some new law that say's a parent can't curtail the use of a child's favourite 'toy' (read computer, i-phone etc.) for a period of time? Of course all of these "punishments" are dependent for their effect on being able to speak to the child and explain that it's the consequence of a certain behaviour so I cannot understand why it should be forbidden to speak to a child.

What's wrong with teaching a child from an early age that human behaviour is always coupled to consequences - sometimes good and sometimes bad. Children are not born with a complete code of conduct stamped on their forehead. It's something they have to learn with the help of the adults in their lives. Getting through life is about making wise choices. Wise choice = good consequences. Bad choice = bad consequences. That needs to be learned as a child.

Unfortunately I think there's a lot of truth in what Brettly say's. For some parents it's a case of 'anything for a quiet life'.

• Like 1

I think the picnic tables should not have been made out of wood in the first place they should have been metal and concreted in, however if they had been metal county would not have maintained them, has anyone seen the ones down Attlee Park? you could do the diving for the olympics off them ones because of the ends on them and they are covered in rust.

I think the picnic tables should not have been made out of wood in the first place they should have been metal and concreted in, however if they had been metal county would not have maintained them, has anyone seen the ones down Attlee Park? you could do the diving for the olympics off them ones because of the ends on them and they are covered in rust.

They were made out of re-cycled plastic !! Edited by keith

Well Malcolm I would send the remains back and demand the money back for false advertising <_<

I think there are lots of people who would like to do just that , Adam. Apparently the replacements are imminent. On another note I got an e-mail from a parish councellor (East Bedlington) and he informs me that the entrance to the Bedlington Station car park is to be tidied up, the chippings removed and green tarmac laid, It's a start !!

They should publicly flog all vandals and put them in stocks in the market place for a weekend starting friday neet and concluding sunday neet ...............votes for and against please. :unsure::mellow::blink::wacko:

and provide rotten fruit and veggies.

Edited by Brian Cross

What's wrong with teaching a child from an early age that human behaviour is always coupled to consequences - sometimes good and sometimes bad. Children are not born with a complete code of conduct stamped on their forehead. It's something they have to learn with the help of the adults in their lives. Getting through life is about making wise choices. Wise choice = good consequences. Bad choice = bad consequences. That needs to be learned as a child.

Unfortunately I think there's a lot of truth in what Brettly say's. For some parents it's a case of 'anything for a quiet life'.

Sadly, too many parents don't realise that this is the case. In their view, it's always someone else's responsibility.

I don't know about putting them in stocks but I'm all for the idea of keeping them, and their parents if need be, occupied on Friday- and Saturday nights. Keith mentioned earlier on another thread that tthere are courses given to traffic offenders as a form of 'punishment' and they seem to do some good in making offenders aware of the consequences of bad driving. Why not parenting courses at the weekends for young offenders and their parents with the emphasis on communication and responsibilities?

• Like 1

Another brainwave from wise old owl Symptoms.

Let's also shackle the parents of those nasty brats. Just imagine the scene in the Market Place - a long line of paired-up stocks complete with matched parent/brat combos, the morbidly obese seniors in their vile shell suits hooked-up to their hoodied callow spawn all clamped together. Joe Public could be given (or even better - sold) a license to abuse the tethered creatures for the whole weekend; perhaps we could even offer concessionary tickets so whole families could turn-up for the fun. Parents attending with their kids could utter dire warnings to them ... "Look at what'll happen to us if you don't behave!"

You all know it makes sense!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now