Bedlington Pubs

Don't I know it, Keith, they knocked the Terrier down last year and I remember a time when people queued up to get in there. It's a damn shame and surely someone must be taking note of all the closures - it must be giving a sign off to the breweries at least. DROP YOUR PRICES!!!

I had a couple of pints at the Station last night Keith, they may be losing their pubs but I could'nt get over the number of Carry Outs down there, certainly no shortage of them. Does nobody like cooking these days?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started a quiz night at the Railway Tavern over a year ago. It ran for just 16 weeks because no one was bothering to come out. It was a damn good quiz but a night out now costs a small fortune. The price of a pint nowadays is a key factor in the demise of so many pubs, breweries should realise this but they know they have drinkers (punters) over a barrel. (No pun intended) One word sums it up...GREED.

If there is one way to get a freebie at the bar, that is it Merc !! The closure (and demolition in the Terriers case) should not be allowed. Many of these pubs are part of the towns history, peoples memories, were couples met. I know pouring money into a failing business does nobody any good, but it is the tenants that are doing all of the pouring ( pun intended) The breweries are doing nothing to help them. They want to see the money coming in and they dont seem to care where it comes from, the tenants rent or to the highest bidder who will take a well flogged horse off their hands. In the case of the Percy Arms, Harry has had that place on the market for a considerable time now, who can blame him for selling to the chip shop owners if they were waving a bag of cash in front of him. That man drank in the Percy for years and years before he bought it, he would have liked nothing better than to sell to someone who would carry on running it as a pub, he propably would have continued drinking there.

The people who drank in those now closed pubs dont necessarily move on to frequent other pubs, many just dont bother going out anymore, they will stay in with a few cans in front of the telly. So one pubs demise does not mean another pubs gain , it is just a warning of what will come.

Sad but true

Well said Keith and sadly very true .....what will harry and Pat do now,retire i suppose ,

I had a couple of pints at the Station last night Keith, they may be losing their pubs but I could'nt get over the number of Carry Outs down there, certainly no shortage of them. Does nobody like cooking these days?

Just what we saying last year, if you remember. The litter on a weekend is terrible sometimes and the local rat population is well fed

• 2 weeks later...

Well Merc,when I was 18 years old (which is not long ago) :) I visited the Blue Bell most weekends,however

It was better known then as "The Swinging Tit" you can draw your own conclusions why :dribble:

You mean they had a blue tit swinging on a perch in a cage!!! Aw, isn't that nice.

It was the Kings Arms. I remember in the 60s there was a big bunch of grapes (not real) that hung outside as a sort of pub sign and that where it got its nickname from.

These nickname were (are) common for boozers. I remember all my old rellies, Grandfather, Uncles who lived in West Allotment going to Hill's (pronounced Hillzez) ... The Northumberland Arms nicknamed after the licensee from the 1920s - a guy called Hill.

It was the Kings Arms. I remember in the 60s there was a big bunch of grapes (not real) that hung outside as a sort of pub sign and that where it got its nickname from.

These nickname were (are) common for boozers. I remember all my old rellies, Grandfather, Uncles who lived in West Allotment going to Hill's (pronounced Hillzez) ... The Northumberland Arms nicknamed after the licensee from the 1920s - a guy called Hill.

Aye and the Percy would be called the "High House"

Getting off Bedlington pubs for a second, I went to Morpeth on the bus the other day and there was the Queen's at Guidepost boarded up; further on at stobhill was the Mucky Duck (Black Swan) boarded up and of course the Old Red Bull Inn at Morpeth bulldozed down. To be honest I have never been in the Queens but what a shame.

Edited by keith lockey

Getting off Bedlington pubs for a second, I went to Morpeth on the bus the other day and there was the Queen's at Guidepost boarded up; further on at stobhill was the Mucky Duck (Black Swan) boarded up and of course the Old Red Bull Inn at Morpeth bulldozed down. To be honest I have never been in the Queens but what a shame.

There is a lot of reports what is going on with the queen's, one is it is going to be reopened, another it is to be pulled down and houses built on the site but nobody really knows what is going on just have to watch this space. But I hope it is not pulled down it is a nice looking pub, but then again so was the terrier but went down and houses where built on the site.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now