Bedlington Pubs

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly French derivative, there are lots around here........

or and seems to fit better.........

Mort

word used to describe girls only just above the legal age of sexual consent whose promiscuity is evident from the way they dress, act and carry themselves in public. Boys will use this word to display their desire for a sexual encounter with such a female.

'tonight im gonna go find me a dirty little mort to take home'

Source.....Urban Dictionary.

Mort

word used to describe girls only just above the legal age of sexual consent whose promiscuity is evident from the way they dress, act and carry themselves in public. Boys will use this word to display their desire for a sexual encounter with such a female.

That's utter genius. I shall use those words later on in the Lion......

Mort

Mort

Modern derivatve = SKANK

It now looks like the Percy is no longer going to be a pub. Word is, the owners of the fish and chip shop next door have bought it and are to turn it into a fish and chip restraunt with flats above. Its a shame that this is allowed to happen.

we will have to wait and see, but your right we are losing pubs, shops and others to people turning them into flat and houses. Last thing we need is more houses there are loads that are empty/to let/for sale.

About my earlier reference to the Blackbird in Ponteland ... I was, as always, being galant in not referring to the place being packed with young women. What were us Bedlington lads doing there - for the beer of course! Why did we go to the Dolphin in Morpeth - for the beer of course! Why did we go the the Rex Hotel in Whitley bay - for the music of course! Why did we go to the Mayfair or the Oxford - for the music of course!

The popularity of pubs for young folks was (is) always transient. A small group (girls or blokes) will discover a venue, word gets out and more follow, blokes (women) are drawn like flies to a plat 'cos of lots of young women (men), the place gets packed-out ... crushed standing room only, folks get fed-up with 5 deep at the bar, the move to somewhere else, the venue becomes a ghost. Then the cycle is repeated.

Up Newgate Street on the right-hand side ... near where the White Swan is. The establishment is long gone - when I was through Morpeth maybe 25 years ago it had folded by then. Maybe the building is used for something else now. It was the first place I saw the bogs marked Stags and Does.

Hi Symptoms, you seem to know Morpeth well. Now I got a shock a few months ago when I was there. They were demolishing the Old Red Bull Inn. Now I spent many a courting days in that pub and felt gutted when it was...gutted, if you excuse the pun.

But apart from that I am having a running argument with my brother about some old groggeries in Morpeth.

I'll describe the locale and maybe you can help me. There were two bars down a tunnel beneath the Queens Head - near where Woolworths was. Now I went down that tunnel one night in search of liquid solace. I turned right and found myself in a dingy little bar which was full of bikers. I had a quick sup there and went across from that to the other bar in the 'tunnel' and there was an even dingier bar there. Now one of them - i think the latter - was called the Cabellero or something.

Can you or anyone else help clear this up, cheers.

Edited by keith lockey

keith - I didn't know Morpeth well so I can't help you with those other places ... my fun was in Bedders then South to the Toon or Whitley Bay. I went to the Dolphin maybe half-a-dozen times when I was a student up from London during the holidays at the end of the 60s and beginning of the 70s - I had a cousin who was with the Peelers based in Morpeth so would go with him on 'the razz'; my parents moved from Bedders in '69 so I never got back there during the hols.

The only regular visits to Morpeth when living in Bedders were of a 'passing through' nature ... when we all used to go to the Mayfair in the Toon on a Friday night it was bus up from the Red Lion but at Mayfair kicking-out time (maybe 1 or 2am) the last bus back had left hours ago. How to get back home? Central Station, buy a platform ticket for 2d (old money), kip on the platform benches until the 3am London to Aberdeen mail/passenger express arrived (oh, try to avoid the Railway cops), hop on that then get off at Morpeth (all for a 2d platform ticket!). Then I'm afraid it was a walk back to Bedders ... 5 miles maybe but it was well worth it to see some top bands at the Mayfair. Ah, happy days.

Cheers anyway, Symptoms. The Mayfair was one place I never got to, but I remember it had a reputation. I'm a 'child' of the 60s 70s, mostly the seventies because I just started appreciating music then and I often find myself wandering back to those days in my mind. As you say, happy days. Now where's my Moody Blues albums?

Edited by keith lockey

Hi Symptoms, you seem to know Morpeth well. Now I got a shock a few months ago when I was there. They were demolishing the Old Red Bull Inn. Now I spent many a courting days in that pub and felt gutted when it was...gutted, if you excuse the pun.

But apart from that I am having a running argument with my brother about some old groggeries in Morpeth.

I'll describe the locale and maybe you can help me. There were two bars down a tunnel beneath the Queens Head - near where Woolworths was. Now I went down that tunnel one night in search of liquid solace. I turned right and found myself in a dingy little bar which was full of bikers. I had a quick sup there and went across from that to the other bar in the 'tunnel' and there was an even dingier bar there. Now one of them - i think the latter - was called the Cabellero or something.

Can you or anyone else help clear this up, cheers.

I presume one was the George and Dragon.........a Bass Charrington establishment the other was part of the Queens........

keith - I didn't know Morpeth well so I can't help you with those other places ... my fun was in Bedders then South to the Toon or Whitley Bay. I went to the Dolphin maybe half-a-dozen times when I was a student up from London during the holidays at the end of the 60s and beginning of the 70s - I had a cousin who was with the Peelers based in Morpeth so would go with him on 'the razz'; my parents moved from Bedders in '69 so I never got back there during the hols.

The only regular visits to Morpeth when living in Bedders were of a 'passing through' nature ... when we all used to go to the Mayfair in the Toon on a Friday night it was bus up from the Red Lion but at Mayfair kicking-out time (maybe 1 or 2am) the last bus back had left hours ago. How to get back home? Central Station, buy a platform ticket for 2d (old money), kip on the platform benches until the 3am London to Aberdeen mail/passenger express arrived (oh, try to avoid the Railway cops), hop on that then get off at Morpeth (all for a 2d platform ticket!). Then I'm afraid it was a walk back to Bedders ... 5 miles maybe but it was well worth it to see some top bands at the Mayfair. Ah, happy days.

Sym,

Mayfair every Friday night, start off in the George then Man in the Moon possibly Pineapple.......... Mayfair at 10.00pm.

Mail train back to Morpeth, left Central Station at 2.15am. Got back in time to be locked out by the old man!

Craziest time...........when Sunderland Played in the FA Cup Final , Newcastle Central Station was all red and white!

I presume one was the George and Dragon.........a Bass Charrington establishment the other was part of the Queens........

George and Dragon does ring a Quasimodo. I know the one on the right with all the motorbikers was just one long room. The bar was to the left of the door. You walked in and the piano player stopped playing. Oh to have a retentive memory or a time machine.

PS, Brian - Keith did mention something about the Percy somewhere on site - probably this one. I must admit it was never a favourite gin mill of mine.

Edited by keith lockey

Wether the Percy was anyones favorite or not Keith, the fact is that long established boozers are closing at an alarming rate, never to serve another pint.

Re the George and Dragon ( the Queens bar) Can anyone remember the Pihrrana fish behind the bar ? They had to put a lid on the tank to stop people chucking bits of pie in.

It now looks like the Percy is no longer going to be a pub. Word is, the owners of the fish and chip shop next door have bought it and are to turn it into a fish and chip restraunt with flats above. Its a shame that this is allowed to happen.

Has the Percy Arms closed its doors a rellie of mine informed me it has closed OMG what will we do Keith.

Brian

Wether the Percy was anyones favorite or not Keith, the fact is that long established boozers are closing at an alarming rate, never to serve another pint.

Re the George and Dragon ( the Queens bar) Can anyone remember the Pihrrana fish behind the bar ? They had to put a lid on the tank to stop people chucking bits of pie in.

Don't I know it, Keith, they knocked the Terrier down last year and I remember a time when people queued up to get in there. It's a damn shame and surely someone must be taking note of all the closures - it must be giving a sign off to the breweries at least. DROP YOUR PRICES!!!

someone must be taking note of all the closures - it must be giving a sign off to the breweries at least. DROP YOUR PRICES!!!

I think it a crying shame as I love my pubs (really, I hear you ask? Merc, in a pub, drinking beer? Perish the thought!) but the fault is squarely with the brewery chains who tie landlords and tenants into expensive rents and prices. It's curious, however, that of the two 'free houses' in Bedlington ( The Lion and the Northumberland) one is the cheapest, the other among the most expensive. I simply cannot beat £1.65 for a beautiful pint of locally brewed ale at the Lion...

I think it a crying shame as I love my pubs (really, I hear you ask? Merc, in a pub, drinking beer? Perish the thought!) but the fault is squarely with the brewery chains who tie landlords and tenants into expensive rents and prices. It's curious, however, that of the two 'free houses' in Bedlington ( The Lion and the Northumberland) one is the cheapest, the other among the most expensive. I simply cannot beat £1.65 for a beautiful pint of locally brewed ale at the Lion...

And not forgetting the scenery.

If there is one way to get a freebie at the bar, that is it Merc !! The closure (and demolition in the Terriers case) should not be allowed. Many of these pubs are part of the towns history, peoples memories, were couples met. I know pouring money into a failing business does nobody any good, but it is the tenants that are doing all of the pouring ( pun intended) The breweries are doing nothing to help them. They want to see the money coming in and they dont seem to care where it comes from, the tenants rent or to the highest bidder who will take a well flogged horse off their hands. In the case of the Percy Arms, Harry has had that place on the market for a considerable time now, who can blame him for selling to the chip shop owners if they were waving a bag of cash in front of him. That man drank in the Percy for years and years before he bought it, he would have liked nothing better than to sell to someone who would carry on running it as a pub, he propably would have continued drinking there.

The people who drank in those now closed pubs dont necessarily move on to frequent other pubs, many just dont bother going out anymore, they will stay in with a few cans in front of the telly. So one pubs demise does not mean another pubs gain , it is just a warning of what will come.

Sad but true

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now