Bedlington Pubs

Sorry Adam, I can't say I've ever been in that club and to be honest I forgot it was there. The only club I used to go to was the Market Place on a Wednesday night for the movies in the 70s?.

And that got me thinking of the beer I used to drink in the different pubs and club. IPA was the club beer. I would have a pint of Worthington E at the Ridge - Trophy at the Red Lion, Stones at the Grapes, Strongarm at the Monkey, Real Ale at the North, Exhibition at the Terrier - But I cannot for the life of me remember what I used to drink at the Community Centre when it opened. I used to go upstairs and have a couple of bevvys but what it was is lost in the mists of time. Can anyone remember what they sold?

Edited by keith lockey

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Railway Tavern - Vaux

Back in 2007 I wrote:

"I remember having my first (under-age) pint in the Railway back in the late 60's - Vaux Gold Tankard - a vile mackem brew! At the time I couldn't understand why blokes liked to consume beer until I was introduced to the Blue Star stuff - Ex & Broon. Of course there was always Fed at the Market Place Club. Ah, happy days."

from a previous thread::

http://www.bedlington.co.uk/community/topic/678-your-favorite-boozer/

I could never get away with Vaux beer. I used to frequent the Railway Tavern often in the 80s - when Jim and Tracy had it, then the Egans. But I just used to drink the Strongbow cider when I went there, that's all I could stomach. But my favourite bottled beer in those days was McKewans Export - I thought that was better than the broon dog or the amber ale. The Terrier was at its peak when I started bending the elbow and Exhibition or Export were my favourite tipples. Brilliant pub that, damn shame it fell foul of the brewerys' greed. (Moving away from Bedlington - forgive me moderators - but I see the Old Red Bull Inn at Morpeth has just been demolished. Another good pub gone bad.

Edited by keith lockey

More on ale from 2011 .... http://www.bedlington.co.uk/community/topic/2808-what-do-you-miss/page__st__120

"I had my very first pint in the Railway (under-age drinking!) - Vaux Gold Tankard, this was in the lounge bar. I clearly remember what a horrible taste it had (soap) and wondered what all the fuss was about ... this drinking lark. Anyway, it had to be toughed-out in front of my mates and a life-long taste for beer was developed; Exhibition when in a 'Blue Star' pub but I always relished a drop of Fed when in the Market Place Club ... again, all under-age drinking. Left when I was 18 be be a student in London and the first night down there went into the student union bar and was presented with taps of Cockney bilge (Watney's and the like) until I spotted on the shelf behind the bar rows of Newcastle Brown and Newcastle Amber .... bliss!"

I know, repeating myself.

The Terrier was always the start and finishing pub when I was a young elbow bender. I'd catch the 7.45 Raisbeck up the street and do the rounds of pubs. But then I started to drink in the Northumberland Arms and it was there that I was introduced to Real Ale. One of my favourite brews in that hallowed saloon was Pentland Ale. Believe me, I could knock back more than a few of those in my youth. But Symptoms mentioned Watneys - AARGH!. Images of Lucy's nightclub spring to mind - the Watney's Red - like drinking kreosote with a turpentine chaser. That's if you could lift the chunky glass it got served in. But Pentland - ambrosia served in a pint glass.

• 1 month later...

Am I right in thinking that the Howard Arms used to have a real 'coal' fire in the bar.

I vaguely remember staggering in one winter night and seeing one.

I think it is still there; the last landlord restored it to working order about five/six years ago. Interesting to see this comment, given that the open fire in the Lion was lit yesterday!

Yet the no smoking policy meant that the Snowy Owl removed their open fire. Loved getting a seat next to that.

really? I don't think the law was meant to apply to that sort of smoke!

There was a pub in Ponteland - The Highlander? (I think), and it had a roaring fire at one end of the bar.

I might have the wrong name - I know it was Scottish!

Yup , but it is up the road from Ponteland at Ogle the Wagon is on the opposite side . Good memories frequenting both establishments while I was a student at Kirkley Hall.

regarding coal fires in pubs in bedlington i am sure the sun inn had one during the 1950s and 60s

Now that you mention it - isn't - or wasn't there a fireplace to the left of the dartboard in the bar - I remember green tiles or something?

(PS I see it's your birthday - all the best.)

Cheers, thanks for correcting my geography - it was a long time ago when I was there, and yes, I recall a pub called The Wagon. The farming community drank in them and all you could see in the car park was row after row of Range Rovers.

we took a tractor from the dairy unit on a few occaisions, even though there may have been half a dozen of us clambering all over the thing, you could bet your bottom dollar that it would be me that gotthe bollicking for taking it if we were caught out. Even if I was nowhere near the drivers seat !!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now