Old Views Of Gallager Park.....

But you have areas where coal is that you cant get at with open casts or drifts, like Ashington, Bedlington, Blyth, Ellington, Lynemouth, Newsham and many others where there is housing, active farm land and others so open casts and drifts will not work, so only thing left is shafts, but there needs to be a political will to resurrect the British Coal Mining industry but the tories will never do it because of history with the NUM.

Active farm land has not stopped opencasting at Butterwell, Widdrington, Stobswood, Chevington and Blagdon Estate - (Shotton, Brenkley and the Delhi) Edited by keith

Active farm land has not stopped opencasting at Butterwell, Widdrington, Stobswood, Chevington and Blagdon Estate - (Shotton, Brenkley and the Delhi)

But sometimes it stops opencasting i just took active farming as an example same as housing.

Adam wrote: "I don't think the cost is a problem because if it was why would mining companies in the 1800's pay for it and the state pay for it up into the 80's, the last "new pit" to open i think was Wistow Colliery in yorkshire in 1983, so i don't think the cost is a problem."

Remember Adam most of the original mining companies were owned by the landed gentry who either financed the endeavour themselves ('cos they were filthy rich) or raised shares ... also labour was cheap. By comparison few new pits were sunk post Nationalisation and any new infrastructure costs were simply absorbed by the NCB. Today, private finance needed for this type of activity is mostly controlled by hedge-fund bandits whose only aim is a relatively 'short term' gain, as a result the years needed to create a new pit wouldn't be of interest. As you rightly observe the State wouldn't want to get involved now as the whole shooting match is now in private hands.

Just noticed that in my post of 17th july I said the Shields bus went via Forrest Hall but it's been nagging me since I wrote that ... infact the bus went via Seaton Delaval not FH. A United single decker which dropped down Bedlington Bank, on towards the 3 Horse Shoes, Seaton Delaval and Shields beyond. I must look-up the old mining maps to get confirm the name of the burning pitheap.

Active farm land has not stopped opencasting at Butterwell, Widdrington, Stobswood, Chevington and Blagdon Estate - (Shotton, Brenkley and the Delhi)

But you have areas where coal is that you cant get at with open casts or drifts, like Ashington, Bedlington, Blyth, Ellington, Lynemouth, Newsham and many others where there is housing, active farm land and others so open casts and drifts will not work, so only thing left is shafts, but there needs to be a political will to resurrect the British Coal Mining industry but the tories will never do it because of history with the NUM.

it also didn't stop opencasting at bedlington either as i recall there were 2 opencast sites, 1 where the golf course is now and another at the westlea side of bedlington and again the howard opencast which was netherton colliery

Just noticed that in my post of 17th july I said the Shields bus went via Forrest Hall but it's been nagging me since I wrote that ... infact the bus went via Seaton Delaval not FH. A United single decker which dropped down Bedlington Bank, on towards the 3 Horse Shoes, Seaton Delaval and Shields beyond. I must look-up the old mining maps to get confirm the name of the burning pitheap.

Weetslade Pit that you mentioned is between Dudley and Sandy Lane roundabout behind where the tyneside Autoparc is now.

http://goo.gl/maps/fx4fF

I think the burning pit heap that you talk about is Fenwick Pit and how it looks now from the road between Earsdon and Backworth.

Fenwick%20Pit-Colliery.jpg

Fenwick%20Pit-Colliery2%20from%20main%20road.jpg

And these two pictures from the Holywell to Earsdon road.

Fenwick%20Pit-Colliery3%20from%20Earsdon%20road.jpg

Fenwick%20Pit-Colliery3%20from%20Earsdon%20road2.jpg

This used to huge about 5 or 6 years ago but they've had the big tippers and diggers on it for quite some time now. It used to be renowned for kids playing on bikes as it can be accessed on the back tracks through holywell dene from the likes of Seghill, Seaton Delaval and Seaton Sluice. you could even get to here from Cramlington and only have to cross one road on the way.

Spent hours as a young'un on my bike cycling down the backtracks down the dene to Whitley Bay and Cramlington etc so acessible and safer than cycling along the main roads.

Bret - I've just looked at that map and reckon the pit heap was between East Cramlington and the A192 (opposite The Keel Row) and just before entering Seaton Delaval. I have a clear memory of a single, long terrace row of houses along the east edge of the A192, again near that Keel Row pub. There seems to be a large area of 'cleared' ground about where I'm sure the heap was.

Well there's the nature reserve which is popular with dog walkers down the back of there now.

Not sure what was there before hand....way before my time :) I lived in Delaval from about 1987/88 but I didn't venture far as I was only 1 year old.

Possibly an branch out from New Hartley pit which was just across the fields to the east of the A192. The area that I have highlighted is where the dog walkers frequent now.

4i48Q.jpg

Not sure of the exact whereabouts of New Hartley pit but it can't have been far off and the excavation would have been quite large.

Edited by Brettly

As you had me curious Symptoms

I found the below page on the Durham Mining Museum page with the co-ordinates to New Hartley Colliery

http://www.dmm.org.u...lliery/h020.htm

I put the co-ordinates into Google Maps and it definitely isn't too far from where you thought you saw the excavation heaps.

http://goo.gl/maps/EHNy0

If you look at the straight vertical line of trees between where the keel row is and where I have marked New Hartley Colliery it is suspiciously straight and as I now remember we used to call it the old lines. It is now more commonly used as a cycle track and an alternative route to Newsham from Delaval.

The wwater logged section in the field where the blue marker is located is probably a good indication as to the site entrance is spot on with the co-ordinates from the Durham site.

Edited by Brettly

When i was a kid i worked for G S Straughan filling coal bags for delivery to homes in the area, the depot was located near New Hartley colliery, does any one remember the depot i am talking about and does anything remain of the colliery and surrounds or is it all levelled now ?

When i was a kid i worked for G S Straughan filling coal bags for delivery to homes in the area, the depot was located near New Hartley colliery, does any one remember the depot i am talking about and does anything remain of the colliery and surrounds or is it all levelled now ?

New Hartley Colliery has now been leveled and the site is woodland now.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

It was the United red single-decker No 42!

Bates was to the right of these pics Adam. I'll have a pint of what your drinking.

Bates pit was down the road behind you,on the Blyth side of the river,on the left,in the top photo.

It was on the right going down the road ti thi "Station",and over to Blyth,on thi bottom pic.

Maybe your pint is stronger than Adam's,Foxy!!

Thi old Coffin chapel is just ti thi right of thi pic as ye see it.

Mind,aad forgotten exactly hoo big the pit heap was!

A used ti play owa the ponds and up thi heaps when a was aboot ten years aad,wi thi "big"lads...aboot 13 years aad!

Me bedroom windae faced owa ti thi heap,and in thi dark neets,it was a blazing,smouldering , smoky sight,especially on really windy neets!

On a last note...cos it's 1-30 am,and aam buggaad!.....

.....Democracy is thi key word on here!!

Bates pit was down the road behind you,on the Blyth side of the river,on the left,in the top photo.

It was on the right going down the road ti thi "Station",and over to Blyth,on thi bottom pic.

Maybe your pint is stronger than Adam's,Foxy!!

Thi old Coffin chapel is just ti thi right of thi pic as ye see it.

Mind,aad forgotten exactly hoo big the pit heap was!

.....Democracy is thi key word on here!!

HPW, you can be forgiven for getting confused,

The pics you are looking at are not the ones we were talking about. The pics Adam and myself were referring to were removed from this thread some months ago because they were being Stolen by another group and used elsewhere. It could cause some confusion within the thread or......... Maybe your pint was stronger than mine AND Adams last night!!    :rofl: 

As you've pointed out above .....Democracy is thi key word on here!!   

Heh heh!,ignorance is bliss eh?!...and there's me aal cocky,thinking,aal put this bugger reet....!!

No,aa was just trying ti keep things reet,but a shudda buttoned me lip till a knew thi facts!!!

Sorry guys!!

Noo.....where's that pint...[of milk,cos aam a teetotaller!]

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now