'woody' School - Bedlington

Hello anyone. Hopefully I have posted two photos - if I do this right. They are of my class when I was at Bedlington Secondary Modern School. One is in 1969 at the 'Woody' School and the other is at Princess Louise Road at Blyth - 1971.

The form teachers were Mrs Vine and Mr Laverick. Vine was an English teacher and Laverick was a science and art teacher. He was about 7' 12" and drove to school in a red bubble car! He also played the bagpipes if I remember correctly. I learned that from a field trip we went on at Catton.

Can anyone remember the teachers? There is also a missing person on the photos. I have put names to everyone except this girl. Can anyone help?

But the main question is this - when did the Woody school burn down? These pictures are 69 -71. So I'm putting money on 1970. I remember being at the annexe building that night - there was some 'do' on - my mother woke me and my brother up the next morning and told us our school had burnt down. We thought she was just trying to cheer us up but when I saw the ruins I was honestly shocked. Cheers for any help. Keith.

post-2953-0-84734200-1340641054_thumb.jp

post-2953-0-42097500-1340641070_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

Hi Keith

I was at "the wood school" from 63 to 67 before going onto Ashington Tech. I have many happy memories of my time there. I remember a few of the teachers there: Michael !*!@#, Alf Feguson (both maths), Linda Hogg (RE), Ettie Hogg (history), Sybil Woodman (French and PE), Joe Love (English), Mr Murray (Geography), Donald Hubert Samuel Morely (Head teacher).

From my understanding the school burnt down in 69. I remember this as I joined the RAF in the October of 69 and I knew the school was no more so contacted Mr Morely direct for a reference.

However I have since heard that the school caught fire before. Is that correct?

Hi Keith

I was at "the wood school" from 63 to 67 before going onto Ashington Tech. I have many happy memories of my time there. I remember a few of the teachers there: Michael !*!@#, Alf Feguson (both maths), Linda Hogg (RE), Ettie Hogg (history), Sybil Woodman (French and PE), Joe Love (English), Mr Murray (Geography), Donald Hubert Samuel Morely (Head teacher).

From my understanding the school burnt down in 69. I remember this as I joined the RAF in the October of 69 and I knew the school was no more so contacted Mr Morely direct for a reference.

However I have since heard that the school caught fire before. Is that correct?

Hi Mathmagian, thanks for getting in contact. I recall most of the names you have supplied except Sybil Woodman. I can just remember Mr Woodman who taught PE (Football). Also you mention Joe Love - I thought it was Jackie Love!!! Anyway, There was also Mr Dodds who taught geography, music & French. I have added two other photos and names from my brother's year. As far as the burning down of the Woody School I believe it just happened once. Now on my two photos the years are 1969 and 1971. The 69 one was taken at the Woody School. So maybe it burned down later that year or 1970, because the next photo - 1971 - is at PLR.

post-2953-0-29235500-1344888334_thumb.jp

post-2953-0-98872800-1344888339_thumb.jp

I went to West Sleekburn Middle School77-81 and I think a lot of the teachers were ex Bedlington Secondary Modern/Grammer.

Certainly Mr Laverick, who was my science teacher and Mr Johnson the woodwork teacher (who had taught my Mam) I think Mr Appleby & Mrs Greener also came from the Bedlington schooland

I went to West Sleekburn Middle School77-81 and I think a lot of the teachers were ex Bedlington Secondary Modern/Grammer.

Certainly Mr Laverick, who was my science teacher and Mr Johnson the woodwork teacher (who had taught my Mam) I think Mr Appleby & Mrs Greener also came from the Bedlington schooland

We got a Mr Grange from West Sleekburn and there was a Mr Lowry (maybe). I have put a photo up - see if you can recognize anybody will you. There were two girls i remember from West Sleekburn - Helen keenlyside & Kath Purdey. Do they ring a bell.

post-2953-0-85453700-1344968494_thumb.jp

i was at the wood school from 56 / 60 teachers Harry duncan Alf feguson Jack Love Mr Bianci Mr Johnston Mr dick Mr Howarth Mr Rutter Miss Teasdale Tonyg

I remember Ferguson, Love, Johnston and Mr Dick but the rest had all left when I started in 1969. Ferguson used to have us do dancing and I still cringe at that. Johnston was the woodwork teacher and before that he must have been in the Gestapo. Mr Dick - well everyone was terrified of him. He used to throw the blackboard duster at you in maths. But shortly after I started the Woody School it burned down and we all got carted off to Princess Louise Road in Blyth. A cross between Colditz and a Russian gulag. Some of those photos are mine but the others are Jen Gallon's. (I used them with her permission.) PS. James Mitchell and Neil Watson are no longer with us now. I wonder what the others are doing?

Edited by keith lockey

still see many of these fairly regular Keith. One or two are sadly dead as you say. Stephen Johnston lives in Tenneriffe as far as I know, he was a magician on the cruise liners. The majority of the rest are still kicking about.

Stephen Johnston!!!! Johnta - A magician on a cruise ship!!!! Well I'll be! I never knew that Keith. I remember he was a good footballer.

I'm trying to remember our football team. Jimmy Mitchell in nets. The defence was Stew Dobson, Colin Crocker, Dennis Tydeman, then there was Dennis Cunningham, Johnta, Neil watson and myself on the left wing. But who the other three were is lost to the memory.

• 2 months later...

Here are two more photos given to me by Stew Dobson.

One is the Whitley Memorial football team 1967-68. The other is the 'Woody' School football team - I would say 1969.

The annoying thing is that I am not on any - and I did play for both schools.

I know some of the people but not all, so If anybody can put names to them I'd be obliged .

post-2953-0-74529700-1351968043_thumb.jppost-2953-0-43378700-1351968074_thumb.jp

Edited by keith lockey

(high school) Stephen Johnson 2nd right, Stephen Surtees, 3rd right, both front row Baz Thomas back left. Is that Gordon Bowron 3rd from left on front row

Yeah, Keith, I know those ones - but you put High School' - It is the Woody School.

Back row left to right is Baz, Dennis Tydeman, (?) (?) Stew Dobson (?) Jimmy Mitchell, Keith Morris (I think)

Front row is left to right is (?) Neil Watson, Gordon Bowron, Stew Ross, Steven Surtees, Steven Johnson (?)

I should be on there, as well as Colin Crocker and Dennis Cunningham - we were all team regulars - but somehow we are not - baffling

THE WHITLEY ONE.

Back row L-R - Matty 'George Clooney' Hall - (?) Phil Temple

Middle row L-R - (Keith) Oliver, Laurence Cummings, (?) (?) Stew Dobson.

Front Row L-R - Rob Lee, (?) Derek Wilkinson, Neil Watson, (?) (?) (?)

Now what amazes me is that Neil Watson is on the Whitley Memorial photo- because he was a station lad - Grange Park methinks. And once again I should have been on that photo. Where am I? is this a conspiracy to wipe all memory of me off the globe!!!

Edited by keith lockey

Would that not be Jeff Oliver. I was sure that Keith is older than me so he would have been 2 years above that pic ( maybe wrong) Sandra was in my class, the year above that one. There was a few station kids at the Whitley, Nat Watson as you say and Philip Lawson come to mind straight away. I can still feel the sting on my ass from Matty Hall walloping it with that blackboard ruler of his. I whent to seek Sandra (his daughter) that night and he asked if I was ok, he even seemed to think he over did it. It had a crack in it and it nipped the skin.

I left the Whitley in July '67 so I would have been away to Marton when that was taken.

Edited by keith

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, this is not a 'Woody' school photo but it's causing me some confusion...I'll explain.

I found this photo on Friends Reunited. (I hope the owner of the photo doesn't mind me posting it) Now me and my bro recognise some of the people and therein lies the confusion. The photo is of St Benet Biscops on a trip to Ford Castle in 1968. But some of the people we have recognised weren't at that school! Can anyone help put names to faces. (Maybe it was several schools all on the same trip - but that doesn't make sense.)

Anyway, have a look and see if you can spot anyone. Cheers.

post-2953-0-83693600-1353319121_thumb.jp

Edited by keith lockey

• 6 months later...

MORE PHOTOS FROM THE WOODY SCHOOL & PLR

PLEASE FILL IN THE BLANKS.

Keith - I email Peter Davies the photos and his reply is:-

Hi Alan I recognise one of the lads in the last photo.... Mr granges class although i always thought it was spelt mr Grainge. The lad I recognise is called David Kennedy from Stakeford and he is standing next to Paul Maddison. I also think Keith has a few names wrong...ie. Vicky Sedgwick in one of the photos she is too old for that year group and I recognise the girl pictured but can't put a name to her. I also think Janet Cowell is wrong as she is a lot younger than the others pictured unless there were two Janet cowells. Peter.

Hope this helps

Cheers Eggy, I know Pete well, we were good mates at school. (I have sent you a PM with my email address on it. Can you send it to Pete and tell him to get in contact with me if he wants to. it would be nice to hear from him, cheers.) With regards to the photos. Eileen Purdy has contacted me, she is also on this site, and she confirms David Kennedy and the other lad is Graham Lindsay. She also says that isn't Vicky Sedgewick at the back left - she says it is Sue Ryder.

post-2953-0-48106400-1371297962_thumb.jp

Edited by keith lockey

Cheers Eggy, I know Pete well, we were good mates at school. (I have sent you a PM with my email address on it. Can you send it to Pete and tell him to get in contact with me if he wants to. it would be nice to hear from him, cheers.) With regards to the photos. Eileen Purdy has contacted me, she is also on this site, and she confirms David Kennedy and the other lad is Graham Lindsay. She also says that isn't Vicky Sedgewick at the back left - she says it is Sue Ryder.

post-2953-0-48106400-1371297962_thumb.jp

Keith - I have sent your message on to Peter. He now lives at the top end. Watch out for White-van-man (with green writing) 'Peter Davies landscape gardening services'.

See him every day in Burnside

Pete's from Burnside if I remember. He is one of the few people I see from my old school days. Of course I look the same as my "Woody" photos - the schoolboy looks and youthful exuberance. In fact if I put a pair of shorts on and an old school tie I could get on the buses for half price. Honest!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Keith, just been reading through woody school memories. There were two fires at the woody school, my grandma lived at 11 Albert Road 3 houses from the school, my mam had been there on a saturday night and came home to tell us there had been a fire but not to much damage i think it had been started outside the gym door. The second fire was huge, my uncle Jim who lived with my grandma came to tell us, I remember helping to give out cups of tea to the fireman. It was definately 1969 as my grandma died that year as well, she was born at Hirst Head farm in 1895.

Cheers for clearing that up, Eileen. I said the photos were taken in 1969 so the fire must have been that year or the next. My brother said it was later. I remember my mam told us the next morning and me, Jim Hunter, Lesley Morris and Dorothy Spedding all went down to take a look. It was just a mass of twisted metal. And then we went to PLR....ugh!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now