Famous People

Hardy

Have ever met anybody really famous?, I'll kick of with this, during the mid 80's whilst working for the Newcastle Breweries, I was entertaining trade customers in the Newcastle United, Blue Star bar, I got into a conversation with a guy, who was wearing a cloth cap and a Newcastle Brown Ale t-shirt, he insisted on buying me a drink, as he was at the bar a work colleage informed me that I was talking to Brian Johnson from AC/DC, he was great, very down to earth, and good fun. I also sat next to the great, late Chas Chandler, for a whole season at St James's park.

I had the pleasure of recording an interview with Sir Harry Secombe, just after he had recorded an episode of TTTV`s Highway in Morpeth.

It also just happened to be his 70 birthday. He had to graciously decline a piece of a rather splendid cake baked for him, due to him being a diabetic.

A very nice man.

I'm sure mercuryg will be the first to recognise this fella that I met at last weeks Isle of Man TT races. While the hierarchy were trying to usher him away to the VIP hospitality tent he totally blanked them and chatted to the Fans signing autographs for the kids. He's seen here with my mate and could'nt give a monkeys about the nobs party. Great Guy!!

I tried to put more pics on here but the Mods have limited my upload allowance so thats it for now.

post-2205-0-74228100-1339879806_thumb.jp

Edited by foxy

I don't know if this counts as i did not actually meet these folks.......A long time ago i was riding my Harley in Canberra in the ACT as i turned onto the main road i spotted a motorcade up ahead so being a nosey geordie lad i sped up until i was alongside the main limo and and when i looked in to see who was there behold it was the Queen and Phil and they were not impressed and neither were the Federal police who guided me onto a side road to question me in depth..........there thats it

Does the ex local MP :argue: count? If not i have met David and Carrie Grant when i was in high school, at the time i did not know who they were :whistle:, they were both very nice people to talk to, very down to earth.

Edited by Adam Hogg

Many years ago when I lived down South the wife and I and some friends, made a vist to an old Rock/Pop area called Eel Pie Island , and on the way back we called into our friends local for a quick pint, the landlord told us to hang around after 3 pm closing time and let all the punters go, this we did and about 30 mins later there was a knock on the back door, it was opened and in walked all the original four members of the Who, including Keith Moon. We were not allowed to take photos or ask for autographs, they were suprisingly subdued, but very plesant.

I met Boris Karloff (see Gardners arms thread) I once held the Queen and Prince Philip up while taking cows across the road (A6 south of Carlisle) and spoke to Phil. He gave a police outrider a bolicking for giving me hassle to get the cows off the road. Ernie Wise's brother was our feed rep, (Gordon Wiseman). I was at a new years do at the Killoran Hotel in Wetherall and got into an argument about football with an old guy, I told him he was talking rubbish and he knew nowt, just as I said that, I realised who I was talking to, none other than Bob Stokoe. I litteraly bumped into John Paul Sigmussen (spelling?) at the Royal Show (He held the Worlds strongest man title at the time, and yes I did tell him to watch where he was going (and hurried off) When I was young I met Geoff Duke at the T.T. He was talking to my Dad.

I'm sure mercuryg will be the first to recognise this fella that I met at last weeks Isle of Man TT races. While the hierarchy were trying to usher him away to the VIP hospitality tent he totally blanked them and chatted to the Fans signing autographs for the kids. He's seen here with my mate and could'nt give a monkeys about the nobs party. Great Guy!!

I tried to put more pics on here but the Mods have limited my upload allowance so thats it for now.

Noticed Mark Webber was there as well Foxy seen him on the telly

Noticed Mark Webber was there as well Foxy seen him on the telly

The organisers always have a number of top stars past and present over there.Last year Valentino Rossi was wandering around the paddock and did a parade lap then said he would'nt race there,he'd be scared. This year Kevin Shwantz and Randy Mamola did the same.

Edited by foxy

I had the pleasure of meeting Jack Charlton at a Newcastle game years ago I was in a group of people and they were discussing the future of the then Newcastle manager Jim Smith, I was totaly unaware of Jack Charltons close proximity and he had been listening to the people in the group saying Jim Smith should be sacked etc, I was asked for my opinion and I said I was,nt in a position to say the man should be sacked because I was,nt THAT well informed about the goings on in football and lets be honest Jim Smith has forgoten more than we as a group will ever know about football, at this point Jack Charlton decided to have a proper "GO" at those who were calling for his head,

he later took me aside apologised for any embarressment "HE" may have caused me and bought me a pint and who did he introduce me too refering to me as "his" new pal from Bedlington... Bob Stokoe and what a gentleman he was no airs or graces just a lovley genuine man I had a wonderful afternoon which I will fondly remember forever.

I also had the displeasure of meeting Andy Cole a few years later at the North East Footballer of the Year award at The Civic Center and what a Prima-donna he was a REAL biggot so irrispective of who HE thought he was I told him where to go with his attitude so he did lol.. He will never be in a position to tie Jack,s or Mr Stokoes shoe laces in my opinion.

Met him a few times myself Foxy, and he is a lovely bloke.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jack Charlton at a Newcastle game years ago I was in a group of people and they were discussing the future of the then Newcastle manager Jim Smith, I was totaly unaware of Jack Charltons close proximity and he had been listening to the people in the group saying Jim Smith should be sacked etc, I was asked for my opinion and I said I was,nt in a position to say the man should be sacked because I was,nt THAT well informed about the goings on in football and lets be honest Jim Smith has forgoten more than we as a group will ever know about football, at this point Jack Charlton decided to have a proper "GO" at those who were calling for his head,

he later took me aside apologised for any embarressment "HE" may have caused me and bought me a pint and who did he introduce me too refering to me as "his" new pal from Bedlington... Bob Stokoe and what a gentleman he was no airs or graces just a lovley genuine man I had a wonderful afternoon which I will fondly remember forever.

I also had the displeasure of meeting Andy Cole a few years later at the North East Footballer of the Year award at The Civic Center and what a Prima-donna he was a REAL biggot so irrispective of who HE thought he was I told him where to go with his attitude so he did lol.. He will never be in a position to tie Jack,s or Mr Stokoes shoe laces in my opinion.

Agreed, Cyril, Bob Stokoe was a smashing man, how i never recognised him that night, I do not know. It was the time when NUFC were close to dropping to the old 3rd division and we were discussing if Keegan was the man to prevent the drop. He said, what they needed was another year or two in the 2nd division to steady the ship, he also said that Brian "killer" Kilcline would be Keegans most important signing at the time. I felt a right prat after I realised who I was talking to, the man was a proper gent. He was living in Carlise to be near his daughter, he was the northern area scout for Bolton ( I think) and he was a freind of one of our vets, whom he was out with that night, that is how I ended up talking to him. I .met him quite a few times after that

Motor Cycle racing related so on topic: when I was a kid I got up one morning and found Phil Read (multiple world champion) and another - have forgotten who it was - playing with my train set and eating marmalade on toast. My father had taken them out to the pub the night before and brought them back. This was in the days when the Transatlantic series ran at Oulton Park, at Easter I think. Dad was a motor sports journo for the Telegraph, among others.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now