Likes Forresters Electrical Stores Glebe Road

• 2 years later...

I see they have closed both their shops, Glebe Road and Cramlington shop and amalgamated them into one business unit/showroom on the Cramlington industrial estate - Unit 6 Network Centre, Nelson Park, Colbourne Avenue, Cramlington, Northumberland, NE23 1WD. Online sales - www.forrestersonline.co.uk.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully for them,a gud move,cos they are two hardworking lads who I knew a lot of years,and have dealt with them frequently for spares,as well as washing machine etc.

In reality,they may find the local trade loss a disadvantage to business.

Pleased I checked out the forum here,cos I didn't know they had moved,it seemed I was only phoning John yesterday!![for parts]

Can anybody remember old Tommy,who stripped down all the trade-in machines of all descriptions?

He was a real friendly canny fella,always willing to help you out with advice,[when the shop was the old original Forrester's..]

Tommy was a pipe-fitter down Choppington High Pit,in the early-mid 1960's,and I used to work with him when I was just a 17-year old skittering

young ched wi'a snotty nose!!![he was exactly the same natured fella then,as he was in the shop,many years later!]

I wish Forresters aal thi best in the future for their business.

• 4 months later...

Whey,aav just been owa ti see John in Forresters,at thier new unit,and it is great,plenty of stock,very well laid oot,and brightly lit,and it gaans withoot saying,great friendly service from John and his family who help him to run the business!

It was the best move he has made!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

..Er,webtrekker,it's not Geordie...it's Bedl'tntonian,or,[if you prefer..]...Northumbrian!!

But wi aal still caal thi bugger Geordie anyhoo!

If,like me,yi rite like yi taak,it's aal chinka plonka..just rolls off ya fingers insteed o' ya gob!

Noo,ti get bak ti Forrester's,John spent a canny bit o' time  wi me,tryin' ti find an odd-sized fridge-freezer ti replace me dinosaur yin,wat's aboot twenty yeors aad nearly......[a week or two back].

Aav had ti modify me kitchen unit ti tek a modern stanaad sized yin.

So me Wife an' Me went owa thi day,whey,a shudda sed yistidi,cos a didint realise thi time and noo thi day is the morn from when a started ti comment aboot this bliddy freezer lark!!

Anywheh,John and he's Lads were aal busy as hell,phones gaan aal owa,scadded cats,but John still fund time ti mek me and Cath feel like we were thi ownly customers they had.

Thi new fr.freezer will be here this Set'di mornin'.

Nowts a botha ti these lads....ye divvent get a friendly family atmosphere when ye gaan inti thi "big"[!] retailers,like yi dae off Forrester's!

[Noo,John,a cheque 'll dae...aa dinna mind!]

Heh heh!!

Aye HPW. Aah remember when they had the aad shop in Vulcan Place before thi mooved t' Glebe Road. Nice set o' blokes worked in there too, Thi used ti gi wi staples fo wi bogey wheels. Kind aad buggers!

(Bloody hell, it's hard righting ivrything in Geordie! :D).

Aye ,webtrekker,them wor thi days eh?,gaan doon ti Barnt'n tip,howk on for aboot two hoors,ti bray the axles off an aad pram,tek the wheels and axles back owa yem ti Hollymoont Square,[a canny distance for a ten or elivin-ya-aad yungin ti hump owt like that for yon distance!!]

Cadge a bit o' builder's baak ,a big bowlt from thi pit[cortisy o' wor aad chep!]....a few six-inch-nails bent owa the axles and brayed inti thi baak wi a pit hammer,thi bowlt went at the front axle baak,ti steer wi,a bit o' pit rope [wat horse reins were med on...hemp] tied ti thi front end ,and away yi went doon Bedltn main street at ninety mile an 'oor...wi ya "Bone-shaaka" ....[posh kids caaled thim "bogey's"]!!

......great fun......till ye smashed inti thi waal and cum a croppa!! [like aa did a few times....a was too much of a speed-haak!]

Circa 1954-ish!....nae money....didn't need it....Barnt'n tip was thi local supplier fo' aal a laddie's needs!...Bullrushes,Rats,aad wirelisses ti pull apart

and play wi thi bits ti mek summik else!,ponds,rafts,catapult -training at afore-mentioned rodents....very unsuccessfully...like....!

Plus!....ye were guaranteed ti see sum o' ya marra's from sumwheor,doon theor,at any time of year...summa a winta!

Keep at it trekker,it'll cum natchiril ti yi efta a while!

Cheers!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now