Halfpenny Woods

Two more shots of the commemorative plaque at the Halfpenny woods. The last time Keith and i climbed the steep bank to see the plaque, we were young and fit. It was quite comical to see us two trying to get up there at our ages, and even more comical trying to get back down. If anyone had been there with a camcorder, they would have won £250 on youve been framed !

post-2954-0-35065500-1340789242_thumb.jp

post-2954-0-36462400-1340789264_thumb.jp

Two things about The Woods - or rather above them. I remember vaguely that there was motorcycle sidecar racing at the top of the hairpin bend, where the riding school thingy-watsit is now. Are my little grey cells turning to little green mush on that account or am I correct? Now on the Bedlington side, above the woods and at the bottom of Stead Lane, there was Doyle's Shop. When did that cease to be a shop? 1970s or 1980s? Somehow I remember being able to get something there that I couldn't get in any of the other shops - not rainbow drops but something similar.

Bedlington & District Motor Club used to have their grass track meeting there Keith, not just the sidecar, solo machines as well. They also had the occaisional trials meetings on the free side, but mostly they held them at Plessey woods. Their sand racing was held at Duridge Bay. That meeting drew riders from all over the UK as well as works riders from BSA, NORTON, TRIUMPH etc. I remember my dad hammering two BSA works riders. He had asked BSA if a certain bike could be modified for sand racing, they laughed at him and said no, so he did it anyway. Guess what, two works riders turned up with the very same bike,.... modified. My dad knocked them into a cocked hat, he didnt just beat them he absolutely left them stranded.

Regarding the scrutinizing of our sanity, bro, if you read the forum rules you'll there's a sanity clause. He comes once a year at Christmas. But let's get back to The Woods. Are there still sticklebacks and darnies in the shallows opposite the flat rock? And once again - what about Doyle's Shop. Did we get our Thunderbird cards there or something. I know we could get some sweets or whatever at Doyle's that we couldn't get elsewhere. But my memory banks are short of dilithium crystals and I can't recall what it was.

Keith. Am i right in thinking that the track meetings above the hairpin bend were finished because a spectator was killed during one of the races ?

Not sure, I do know that a spectator was hurt. Whether that was the reason for the demise of the grasstrack there I dont know. The sand racing stopped as well but that was for conservation reasons I think. The trials were moved up to the Rothbury area and I cant remember where the scramble was moved to .

Hi Keith, funny enough I can't remember anyone being hurt either. As I said, I just vaguely remember sidecars being up there and me and Jimmy Hunter taking a gander. It looked too dangerous for me, so if someone was hurt I wouldn't be surprised. (PS no slur intended on your Frank's footy abilities on the other site. I have posted an apology. I was having a go at my bro because he thought he was a better footballer than me at school - dream on bro, dream on!)

Edited by keith lockey

Somewhere in the back of my mind i'm sure a spectator died after being hit by one of the racers, hence the meetings ended. It's not surprising really. The only thing between the spectators and the riders, were metal stakes with tape in them,to mark out the track for the riders to follow. Health and safety wasnt very well thought out in those days !

As for Doyles shop bro, i know we did go there for some " specific " thing, but i cant remember what either. One thing i clearly remember about Doyles shop, was the vast array of different flavour sherbet. Ive never seen so many in one place.

• 6 months later...

all is correct on the Bedlington Woods.

After New Year, but you may have to remind me, i will upload old pics of the Toll, the sundial, the cottage and more. They are an interesting lot. Not the best quality, but good enough as its a part of our history

that should not be forgotten. We'll nothing should be forgoten, and thats why we all communicate on here and to be honest, i find it very interesting on Bedlington.co.uk and History Hollow, as it

keeps things alive. Some cracking comments and the interest and feedback from members is second to none.

I congratulate you all and wish you al a Happy and prosperous New Year.

See you all in 2013 :)

• 4 months later...

post-3031-0-70424800-1368715333_thumb.jp

I know this topic is old, but as I just joined the group and I have an old picture of the Toll house - no idea where I found it.

You can see the Seven Sisters, like you all do not know if the story is true, that's what me mam told us. One tree planted by the occupant for each daughter that was born.

He must have been a travelling merchant cos my wife, Cramlington born & bred, tells me of the Seven Sisters in Cramlington Hall. I have applied for the job of Seven Sister maker but my seven sisters say I have no chance!

And we were told the same story - Huntsman chasing fox; fox swerves; huntsman carries on with horse - Plague created. But it was always easier to get to the plaque by cutting through the field on the halfpenny side. Think there used to be a public right of way designated path through from across the road where Dr. Brown used to live.

I'm new on here and this may have been posted before but anyway here's another view of the Furnace Bridge and Hairpin Bend.

I see they still haven't filled in the pot hole, used to hit that every time we went down on the boagy. Or was it the roller skate with Beano annual wedged in as a seat.

First time I can remember a picture taken from half way down the Furnace Bank, excellent picture, I've saved that one, thanks.

• 2 months later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now